What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

For longtime habitual smokers ONLY... health?

ButteredIt

I'll be honest. I'm 22. I've been smoking in the mornings, afternoons, and nights for 7 years now. Before that it was less regular, but I wouldn't go as far as to say infrequent.

I've been reading conflicting reports. Some say regular pot smoking is no big deal, at least less so than tobacco. But other say the studies backing weed are concerned with occasional use and not heavy smoking.

I smoke within an hour or two of waking up, every day. Depending on how much I have to do that day, I may smoke another couple times or just all day long. I really love getting smoking weed. I'm graduating from a top 30 university next year. So I'm not one of THOSE stoners. I'm just wondering what my real health risks might look like.

How many of you have been smoking every day (more than once a day please) for 10+ days? Notice health problems? Aside from lungs... how's the ole' noggin?

Forgetful? Any trouble with speech or communicating thoughts?

Just wondering. I love mary, I just don't want her to take my life. After all, she's the one who makes my life more enjoyable. Without the life, I can't enjoy the beautiful high.

Thanks guys and gals.

From a young gun,

butteredit

I

Iron_Lion

You had too much propaghanda breakfast. I've been smoking weed for 5 years straight and I work out 5-6 days a week, cardio and weights. if anything its my perfromance enhancing drug, I was just watching a youtube video from joe rogan where he was saying the same damn thing. The only weed is probly bad for your health is if your smoking mexi shwag hosed down with RAID. watch "the union"

EnjoiKush

Smoking depletes zinc(maybe not weed tho? the cadmium in cigs competes with zinc) and vitamin C, increase your consumption of fruits, nuts and organic meats to combat the damage done by smoking. Antioxidants from fresh produce will also help with free radicals caused by smoking.

ButteredIt

i've seen the union. i go for runs twice a week. no one answered my questions though.

if you have been smoking all day every day for at least longer than i have (5 years ironlion?...i said 7... 10 if you count the less frequent years)

I'm just wondering whether or not you guys have PERSONALLY experienced any adverse health issues. I don't want to hear about studies or research or what you heard. I want to hear personal accounts. Good or bad.

If you wake up and get high within an hour or two and have been doing that for 10+ years, I would really appreciate your input.

Thanks.

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i have been smoking pot daily since i was 19 (its been 14 years now and counting...)
i smoke more pot than most folks are comfortable with...
i roll out of bed and hit the bong. then start the shower and hit the bong before i jump in. then i dry, dress, and hit the bong again. thats the first 20 minutes of my day, every day. the rest of my day is pretty similiar - anytime i am going to go out the door, its a bong hit to get ready to go and then one more for the road. I SMOKE A LOT OF POT. ALL THE TIME.

I have not experienced any noticable change in my health (other than my knees dont always hurt my back isnt always tense and my attitude is usually jolly) that i would characterize as 'adverse' or 'negative'. i can still do math in my head successfully i can still remember my address and i still havent crashed my car becasue ive got smoke coming out of my ears.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have smoked pot on a regular basis as a part of my life since 1973.
I am a hideaway smoker, and must function each day in the business world with absolutely no detection of my pot smoking. In most places that I conduct business, I need to have a drug screen, and I carry a valid test card at all times. Synthetic urine is a must. I also own stock in Visine (or at least I should).

Pot will clog up your lungs and will absolutely make you more susceptible to catching colds and other illness' like bronchitis. When pot lung hits you, stop smoking and let the medicine work.

Pot also has a definite effect on the memory. I notice it as more a short term memory thing. Names are a big problem with me, and I must be extra aware of a persons name when first hearing it or I will forget...maybe ten minutes later. Forgetting what you are talking about mid sentence can be an issue, a big issue, and usually will only happen when you have the good buzz on...but my experience tells me that this can occur even when not high. I am pretty sure it is a pot thing that causes this.
Many folks make fun of how GW Bush gives speeches, and bumbles around like a dunce that can't speak well...even though the man has degrees from a couple of the best institutions of learning in the world. I have always thought that Bush was simply a victim of pot head syndrome, because the way he talks in public reminds me of the way pot works on myself in similar situations. I can type something out like a pro if I set my mind to it, but speaking it off the cuff is another matter. I connect this attribute with the paranoia factor that pot enhances.

Pot has a definite effect on our motivation. Many weeds cause a melancholy that is pretty much detrimental to ones life, if they let it take control. If one is predisposed to being a lazy fuck, pot can enhance this expression. I find I must fight this or it can be a problem with the way I live my life. Sloth is not a good thing no matter how you slice it.

Pot is addicting, but IMHO only psychologically and not really much physically. Your mind misses it more than your body if you quit. And the effect only last a short period of time.
It is a good thing to stop smoking every once an awhile just to let yourself know that you are indeed in full control. Addictions to tobacco, cocaine, alcohol and the like are entirely other matters and are much harder addictions that needs more than an occasional stop. There is no real controlling of those sorts of addictions without some serious mind work and possibly intervention.

Pot can effect our dreams in a big way. Not so much when using it, but when not using it.
When we stop smoking, for whatever reason, very vivid and colorful dreams, and even nightmares, will take place on a regular basis for a good deal of time...maybe for like a couple of weeks or more after stopping.

There have only been a few times that I have stopped smoking for more than a month at a time, but these times are special in that once you start back, you can get super fucked up real easy...almost like when you first started. Quitting can be a good thing just for the enhanced buzzes that come about when you start back.

Trust me...pot does not effect the libido in a negative way...and I could get a gal pregnant by just showing her my junk.

Anyone who tells you smoking is no big deal has no idea what they are talking about in my opinion.
Smoking is perhaps one of the most toxic things you can do to your body.
Your lungs didn't evolve, in any way, to suck down plumes of "tar" (total aersol residue) or carcinogens (namely Polyaromatic hydrocarbons - PAHs).
It is 100% unnatural, and it effects your body in numerous ways. To say otherwise just doesn't make sense, at all.
After stopping for a good amount of time I've realized just how bad/constricted my lungs were once I tried any sort of cardio exercise
Smoking affects your heart very badly as well, although that's hard for a person to notice.

At the same time, your body is able to cope with these massive damages, and even though you may not notice these things going on in your body at a cellular or physiological or biochemical level both short and long term, it's there, compared to not smoking. It all depends on what your baseline of 'normal' is, I guess. For me, smoking is not normal in any way, whatsoever, not to mention doing it every day for almost a decade (like I sadly did before turning to vaporizers, and even those aren't really perfect)

Aside from that, I've noticed that constant use (like yours) of mj leads to
Demotivation
Clouded thinking
Absolutely no dreams (Im on day 18 of no MJ for the first time in a while I have been dreaming - had 4 different dreams last night!!!!)
Imbalanced emotions
Lack of sex drive or motivation to be social

Any honestly, exercising while high or using to say it is performane enhancing is just flat out wrong, it's a matter of simple physiology, oxygen deprivation, messed up heart rate, etc. I used to think "oh, I'll smoke, and the MJ will focus my mind so I can push myself harder" but the reality is that the benefits do not outweigh the negatives as far as exercise goes.

Aside from that, you should look into vaporization, it's much healthier and once you do it, you'll realize just how shitty smoking tastes and feels.
Im a fan of my Volcano and always have been, I love it for its convenience.
For portable stuff, the best for me is the Vaporgenie [glass] because it's so simple and requires only a lighter.
It's overall vape quality is similar to that of a box/whip vape.

Even though MJ may be safer than cigs in some manner, smoking it is still horrendous - not just for your lungs - but for your heart and many other organs.
http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_info3.shtml

D.S. Toker. MD

Veteran
hoosierdaddys pretty smart for an indiana boy. He's been sucking it down for a while and he's layed it straight out for you. Re read his post. Moldytoadfrog offers up some real wisdom too.

Ive been smoking every day, 4-6-9 joints a day for 25+yrs. More than that, in years past, ive been drunker than hell way too many times, weeks at a time high on diet pills/white crosses and speed and i must have smoked 2 packs of cigarrettes or more along with the weed for the whole damn time. Ive quit the cigarrettes 5 yrs ago but my wife still smokes both and a few months ago, she was diagnosed with COPD. A few weeks ago, i went to the doctor with a bad cough and she told me i needed to quit smoking and that i had a deep wheeze which is a harbinger of COPD. She doesnt know that i dont smoke cigs anymore and only smoke weed and she couldnt tell the difference.

smoke hash patties

take care boys.

Avid Fan

been smoking weed for 12years,daily for around 10.since switching to vape a while back, ive noticed a major difference in my health.my lungs dont burn like ive just ran a race anymore.
i used to walk into a room,forget why i went in there and spend a good 10mins trying to remember.this would happen many times a day.
now it happens 1-2 times a week.
vape and edibles are the way to go,no doubts!

I've been smoking for 22 years heavily and I am not seeing adverse effects. Lungs are fine and I think I'm smarter than I was when I started.

Incorrect assumption here: "Any honestly, exercising while high or using to say it is performane enhancing is just flat out wrong, it's a matter of simple physiology, oxygen deprivation, messed up heart rate, etc."

Cannabis smoke is a bronchiodilator which means more oxygen can be absorbed into the body. I always smoke before lifting. I don't know if it has improved my lifts, but I'm sure it hasn't hurt. From what I hear some long distance runners and many NBA players smoke before competing.

And this one: "Pot will clog up your lungs and will absolutely make you more susceptible to catching colds and other illness' like bronchitis. When pot lung hits you, stop smoking and let the medicine work."

It's an expectorant - it makes you hack things up which clears the lungs. If pot absolutely makes you more susceptible to colds and bronchitis I guess it hasn't been pot I've been smoking all this time. "Pot lung" lol! Is that like black lung?

I've been smoking for 22 years heavily and I am not seeing adverse effects. Lungs are fine and I think I'm smarter than I was when I started.

Incorrect assumption here: "Any honestly, exercising while high or using to say it is performane enhancing is just flat out wrong, it's a matter of simple physiology, oxygen deprivation, messed up heart rate, etc."

Cannabis smoke is a bronchiodilator which means more oxygen can be absorbed into the body. I always smoke before lifting. I don't know if it has improved my lifts, but I'm sure it hasn't hurt. From what I hear some long distance runners and many NBA players smoke before competing.

And this one: "Pot will clog up your lungs and will absolutely make you more susceptible to catching colds and other illness' like bronchitis. When pot lung hits you, stop smoking and let the medicine work."

It's an expectorant - it makes you hack things up which clears the lungs. If pot absolutely makes you more susceptible to colds and bronchitis I guess it hasn't been pot I've been smoking all this time. "Pot lung" lol! Is that like black lung?
I respectfully disagree on all counts, here's why.

It doesn't matter if MJ is a dialator when you consider the negative effects of inhaling smoke plumes, which make added dilation insignificant in comparison to the effects of enormous amounts of CO/CO2 inhalation, which acts to directly inhibit oxygen absorption through the lungs and into the bloodstream.

It also doesn't matter if MJ is an expectorant, because the damage of inahling smoke plumes makes that negligable, you can't hack up damaged alveoli, once they're damaged. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but damage to the lungs deep down there is permanent, alveoli don't repair themselves.

Aside from that, smoking MJ decreases coordination, reaction time, and depth perception, which is a complete negative when taken into the context of sports or athletics. It's easy to say you're better when you're high but it's just not true, if you did it when you weren't high you'd have more coordination/stamina/oxygen absorption/depth perception etc along with better reaction times and coordination.

Your lungs are the epicenter of your immune system in most respects, attacking them with smoke definitely makes you more susceptible to colds.
Since switching to vapes I have gotten sick a lot less, whereas, during smoke times, it was at least 2-3 times per year. Now, it's once, if at all. I was amazed.

It doesn't matter if MJ is a dialator when you consider the negative effects of inhaling smoke plumes.

What negative effects?

Aside from that, smoking MJ decreases coordination, reaction time, and depth perception, which is a complete negative when taken into the context of sports or athletics.

Another incorrect assumption. If you know what you are doing it tends to increase coordination. That's my opinion and I'm sure many elite athletes would privately agree. Reaction time I'll pass on that. Decrease depth perception? Hell no.

I can't argue with someone who doesn't accept what I consider widely accepted science on the subject, regarding MJ's effects on reaction time/depth perception/coordination of motor skills, so we'll just have to disagree on that.

Negative effects of inhaling smoke plumes which counteract and make insignificant any bronchiodilation = "effects of enormous amounts of CO/CO2 inhalation, which acts to directly inhibit oxygen absorption through the lungs and into the bloodstream."

I can't argue with someone who doesn't accept what I consider widely accepted science on the subject, regarding MJ's affects on reaction time/depth perception/coordination of motor skills, so we'll just have to disagree on that.

Negative effects of inhaling smoke plumes which counteract and make insignificant any bronchiodilation = "effects of enormous amounts of CO/CO2 inhalation, which acts to directly inhibit oxygen absorption through the lungs and into the bloodstream."

I don't accept widely held assumptions by scientists or anyone simply because they are widespread. In fact I have found an inverse relationship between the widespreadness of a belief and its' correctness.

What is the effect of inhaling the "enormous" amounts of CO/CO2 in Cannabis smoke though? How much oxygen does it inhibit vs. how much oxygen is increased? What is the ratio? It's kind of like is a carcinogen still a carcinogen if it doesn't cause cancer?

Phedrosbenny

Trying to have a good day
Veteran
Does everybody who feels that their health has been negatively affected by MJ smoking also smoke ciggaretes?

redspaghetti

love machine
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Been smoking a while now, both MJ and cig daily, im a heavy heavy smoker lol i do eat a lot, dont gain any damn weight, working with MJ's is already like a damn work out everyday.

I do feel my lungs are tainted with tar, my heart goes a tad faster time to time, i guess its time to quit those cancer stick and smoke more MJ :huggg:

cheers,
red.

Does everybody who feels that their health has been negatively affected by MJ smoking also smoke ciggaretes?

I tried cigs, maybe 1 or 2 in my life back in the day when I was a dumb kid.
They taste like shit!

And they feel like they really 'singe' your lungs compared to MJ,
I never really understood why that was, probably the countless toxins they pour into those things.