What's new

D80 SCROG

tequila_sunrise

Hey all I havent been around for a few years but I decided to try out the SCROG thing and tell yall how it works out.

This is my first attempt at SCROG but it seems to be going fine so far got a bit of a problem with mites but I hope I killed them all today!

My set up consists of the following:

DR80 Dark Room Tent
2 120w Cool CFLs
Inline Fan
Lots of ducting for a small tent
3 NORCAL Pineapple Plants
:tiphat:

So on the fun part! Pictures! (well just one right now)

Here is 1st pic showing screen. Veg growth is boring so I wont update till they get much bigger :D They were grown out from clones so IDK how old they really are but id say they are a few weeks away from filling up the screen.

Anyone ever grow this train out? Got it from a buddy with about as little info on it as anyone can expect ;)

I am thinking about throwing a 400w HPS or maybe MH (3000kelven one) inside. Only problem would be potential heat issues.

tequila_sunrise

Here we go 12 days later I have a nice lush canopy shot just about ready to go 12/12! The fight against the mites continues on!

Using Azamax and got myself a nice sprayer to control things. I think I am going to flip it to 12/12 tonight!

so far I have been using SuperCropping by pinching the stalks to make them fatter and it really seems to increase the growth of the side branches. I am starting to bend the fan leaves down in order to get more room to potential budsites.

picture.php

picture.php

ArcticBlast

It's like a goddamned Buick Regal
Veteran
nice clean tent, i'm tagging along! i'm looking into some tents in the next month or two, too :joint:

ArcticBlast

tequila_sunrise

nice clean tent, i'm tagging along! i'm looking into some tents in the next month or two, too :joint:

ArcticBlast

Welcome Arctic :tiphat:

I snapped a full shot of the tent so you could see her in all her glory!

Also an update for today, I will be switching it down 2 hours every day until I am at 12/12. Today is the first day of 16/8.

I couldnt hold off any longer, they are growing too big for their little screen so it is off to flower they go!

I did snip off some Fan leaves that were in the way of budsites getting their light. I am leaving some lower ones there for now until most of the growth is above the canopy.

I have also added two 200w CFL's putting out 17,000 lumens each. We will have to see about the heat but I am shooting for 1g/watt!
:laughing:

We will see!

So here are the pics to update you all with:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

hempluvr

plant pimp
Veteran
Nice work! I rock a dr 120 with a 1000 watty. U could safely throw in a 400 watt hps and be fine. Just need to vent the hood and keep the room the tent is in nice and cool and all will be good with your temps. Good luck and keep it green!

WasntMe

new DR60 here with new 205W HydroGrow LED (see my album)

I have a film project running in to now but when it is done I'll be going back to soil based modular scrog.

Looking good so far ... nice under canopy clear out.

tequila_sunrise

Nice work! I rock a dr 120 with a 1000 watty. U could safely throw in a 400 watt hps and be fine. Just need to vent the hood and keep the room the tent is in nice and cool and all will be good with your temps. Good luck and keep it green!

Woke up this morning and the temps were at 82 in the tent. I have to route my exhaust out of the room, maybe into the attic.

My buddy is pushing me to throw a 1000w in there! I am not that bold lol. I would have gone with an HPS but $$ is a bit tight right now so CFL it is!

new DR60 here with new 205W HydroGrow LED (see my album)

I have a film project running in to now but when it is done I'll be going back to soil based modular scrog.

Looking good so far ... nice under canopy clear out.

Nice, I'll have to take a look. The modular scrog thing sounds like a cool idea. Do you just mount the screens to the pots? I have seen somebody use a tomato ring(?) and make a screen at the mid level. Sounds like it would be the way to go as far as getting it in and out of the grow room :)

Thankfully I did not cement my PVC so when the time comes, I can just cut the stalk and disconnect the top square from the rest of the PVC and pull her out.

WasntMe

The modular scrog thing sounds like a cool idea. Do you just mount the screens to the pots? I have seen somebody use a tomato ring(?) and make a screen at the mid level. Sounds like it would be the way to go as far as getting it in and out of the grow room :)

Thankfully I did not cement my PVC so when the time comes, I can just cut the stalk and disconnect the top square from the rest of the PVC and pull her out.

The Modular scrog: yeah, I have one for each of the 6 square pots I run (4 in tent & 2 in old school Nimby tub).
Using mod scrog I can...
-rotate each plant to maintain even canopy
- tend to the rear plants easier because I can pull out each individual and rotate each
- maintain an even canopy even when growing different strains by raising an individual pot & scrog
- have the option of continual harvest.

Exhaust vent you commented on: It really is easy to do .. only about $12-13 US from hardware to make it ....the way it flares out from 4" round to 4x10" rectangle helps eliminate alot of the sound of the air coming out the vent since it slows down as it spreads out. It also allows the vent grill on the outside to be stealth and look normal even to those familiar with household construction.
Duct or aluminum tape, a sheet rock knife, Tin snipes, drill and supplies ... 15 to 20 mins

You could easily set yours up like mine and route it to attic. In the future you can do an HPS in a cool tube... I'm using 4" insulated but hardly any heat ... with a potential hps upgrade I would plan for the future and run at least 6" insulated up to attic

tequila_sunrise

You could easily set yours up like mine and route it to attic. In the future you can do an HPS in a cool tube... I'm using 4" insulated but hardly any heat ... with a potential hps upgrade I would plan for the future and run at least 6" insulated up to attic

How do you like your silencer on the inline fan. I have one exactly like that but it is too noisey ATM. I also want to move the fan out of the cab as well.

OrgAeroMan

Veteran
Hey Tequila, nice looking grow op. I think a 400w would do awesome on that set up. That screen is looking nice and full. I think the 400w would give you much better penetration than the cfls, but it looks like they're doing beautifully already. Have you tried a thermostatic speed controller, or blowing into a carbon filter to deal with the sound issues? It might help. Keep up the good work dude, and keep us updated;)

WasntMe

How do you like your silencer on the inline fan. I have one exactly like that but it is too noisey ATM. I also want to move the fan out of the cab as well.

I used some weather stripping so the inline metal is not touching the metal of the silencer .... this way the vibrations of the fan don't rattle the silencer. I notice some people put a small section of duct between the two so they don't have direct contact, maybe that would be better but I never tried it that way.

To be honest though I probably don't even need it now. The 4 to 4x10 silences the exhausting air's "woosh" fine enough. The fan doesn't make much noise either between the bungee cord isolation and the fact that the fan now never needs more then low speed on my speed controller (the LED lights don't add hardly any heat at all).
With your plan to run to attic you will have a longer run then me and will probably need to run fans a bit faster .... so silencer might come in handy for ya.

nice looking tent im curious to see how those bigger cfl's will yeild in a tent just for research sake as i use hps....im taking a seat and will be watching these grow old!

tequila_sunrise

Today we will call Week 2 of flower. I got 3000 predators from a local place, both californicus and logipes. I applied them by shaking them ontop of the canopy and putting some in a bag stabled around a lower fan leaf.

The people at the predator place told me that almost all mites only go up, not down. So you want to release them near the lowest leaves on your plant.

Also I decided to trim away fan leaves that were in the way of developing bug growth. I know this is a pretty controversial decision but I felt it should be made especially in this type of grow.

I left plenty of lower fan leaves that were on the base or below the canopy.

So far I am impressed by these CFL's. They keep the cab cooler than I thought they would which is awesome! I think with HPS I would be able to yield bigger and perhaps after this grow I will invest in a nice 400 or 600w HPS.

I shoulda took pics before the lights went out but I forgot... I'll snap some more tonight when the lights come back on.

As far as the silencing goes, I don't have a silencer, I meant I had a vortex inline :D I am thinking of taking a cooler I have and sealing the fan in there, I have seen several people do this with good success as the insulation from the cooler dampens the sound of the fan.

Thanks for stopping by all :tiphat:

tequila_sunrise

As promised here are the pics. Did even more cleanup tonight. The sandy stuff you see on top of the soil is the medium that the predator mites were in.

the plants are all shiny, I just sprayed them to keep the predators happy.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

sorry for the shitty pics. Miss my DSLR so much.

woot u got buds forming it looks like....mine have been forming calyxs for about a week now so there taking off good now....cant wait first harvest ive done in a LONG time

tequila_sunrise

woot u got buds forming it looks like....mine have been forming calyxs for about a week now so there taking off good now....cant wait first harvest ive done in a LONG time

Ya man I feel you! I am checking them just about every day and they keep getting bigger!!!! I think the girls are going to stretch more before they are finished. May have to train the tall ones under once more.