What's new

Vitamin B1, Just a Myth

I was reading through the forum, and someone asked where they could get a vitamin B1 product. Most of us know, vitamin B1 is supposed to help root growth, and help lessen transplant shock. Well, when I googled vitamin B1 I found some interesting info. Check it out for yourselves.

http://www.almadenvalleynursery.com/site/breaking-the-vitamin-b-1myth-articles.php

http://www.colostate.edu/Dept/CoopExt/4dmg/Garden/beware.htm

I especially thought the myth about folier feeding during the middle of the day was interesting. I folier feed all the time with my lights on and never burn anything, despite everyone telling me not to do it.

J

JackTheGrower

I fell out of B1 some time ago but it never hurt anything..
Kelp is what i use now for transplant stress or treating any stress as well as feeding seedlings and clones.
B1 may be helpful but I read it's not necessary so??

Japanfreakier

Veteran
Yeah the studies say it's a myth, but many growers swear by it. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss their experiences.

B

Bud Bug

I was once told by a very educated grower that plants absorb very small amounts of B1 through the roots as the b1 molecules are too big to go through one of the layers of the plants root and very small amount goes in.

Because the retail Hydroponic industry is 50% full of shit claims I doubt we'll see any studies/tests done by the manufacturers..

fat.labia

I used to use superthrive but stopped after I started treating my roots more gently. I have not noticed any difference.

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
I had an old nursery man tell me that the best part of using superthrive ( B-1) was that a tables spoon to 5 gals of water ensured that the plant was going to get enough water when it was planted. B-1 was a gimmick,I never use it don't really experience much transplant shock.:joint:

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
I noticed no difference in using SuperThrive, and the smell stays on my fingers..

Been using it for a while and when I first used it, it was on a few plants that most would not bother with. They were in a good state of shock. Used B1 and they are to this day a part of my stable. I swear by and use it frequently, plants look fake they are so kickass...hahaha! May look into the Kelp, heard a lot of good things about it.

toohighmf

Veteran
@ $4.99 a gallon of some HIGHLY concentrated Wester B-1, or even superthrive's reasonable price, I am willing to gamble with it. it's when you pay $50/L of AN's B-52 that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I too have read that roots cannot uptake the large molecule, but the stuff is a great foliar...

jeffie

As far as I know vitamins are important in soil. They play vital roles in helping enzymes to work. Most of us don't bother with enzymes in hydro though

B

Bud Bug

It's hard to say what it does to plants. 98% of the hydro food manufactures don't know either as they all just copy each others products. Not hard to to, just call any lab or wholesaler and bottle down the products. As for B-52 it says its a fertilizer booster. WTF is that mean? Are they saying their fertilizers need boosting?

I'm gonna do a B1 test in a few more crops. I'll have about 72+ plants on a 4x4 week rotation (36 per light) going so will have a change to what happens.

toohighmf

Veteran
BB: can you do us a favor? try foliar treatments vs. rhizo treatments. I believe stoma are large enough to suck up B-1 and could aid plants easier through the foliage than the roots.

MediRI88

Let me put it this way I fed my cactus some b1 to do a little study last week ... it was all droopy within two hours it was standing up nd I just went in my living room nd it grew 2 inches in week from tap water to tap water with just b1 .... I see the diffrence but I love it for soaking clones nd great for transplanting...

Mediri88 :)

toohighmf

Veteran
And what do you think is so good about it? 52 trace minerals as written on the label? what about AN's vita boost Pro? is it any different than B-52? how about their organic B? arent all b-vits organic?