Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Grow Diaries > Side by Side Grow Experiments > Bud Candy VS sugar (Molasses, Raw Cane Juice & Malt extract)

Thread Title Search
Bud Candy VS sugar (Molasses, Raw Cane Juice & Malt extract) Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-07-2010, 07:59 PM #1
~Shhh~
JETS

~Shhh~ has disabled reputation
Talking Bud Candy VS sugar (Molasses, Raw Cane Juice & Malt extract)

So I have been wondering for a long time if the sugar products available @ the hydro stores are far superior to the stuff that we can source at grocery stores/ supermarkets/ Health stores, for a fraction of the cost.

I often see debates regarding whether using the likes of Malt Extract, Molasses & Raw Cane Sugar (aka Panela/ Jaggery Goor - dependent on your location) are as good as the hydro store versions. Well, I finally caved in today and bought my first bottle of Bud Candy!

As I haven't used Molasses/ Raw Cane Sugar/Malt Extract on a grow throughout bloom I thought it would only be right for me to do my bit for the debate and test these products against the BC (Bud Candy) to see if BC produces a noticeable difference in smell, trichs, flavour or any other desirable trait over the Molasses/Panela/Maltose.

You will see a multitude of sweet or sugary sounding ingredients on the back of BC, here's a few for example if your not familiar with it ~
  • Cranberry Extract
  • Grape Extract
  • Xylose
  • Glucose

...and the list goes on! Lol! I won't be attempting to replicate the BC formula for obvious reasons

What I am thinking of is using the main 3 Sugar products spoke of in replacement of BC etc ~Panela, Blackstrap Molasses & Maltose (if I can located Malt extract).

The plants are in Soiless mix (H&G Batmix) so these carbs should also help with the microlife too.

Base ferts will be Canna Terra Flores (NPK 2-2-4), plants are Cheese and in their 1st week of bloom, they haven't had any nutes yet as the soiless mix had enuff nutes in it so far, just Root excelurator, and foliar feeds of Maxicrop seaweed & Canna's Rhizotonic. This will probably change by 14 days bloom...

I will only be using 18 plants out of my SoG to run the test.

9 will get~

Canna Terra Flores Base fert & BC with Plagron Green sensation for the last 4 weeks before flush
other 9~

Canna Terra Flores + Panela+Molasses+Malt extract with Plagron Green sensation for the last 4 weeks before flush.

The Green sensation is a bloom stimulator/ PK additive very much like Atami's Bloombastic in ingredients.

I'll start adding BC & sugars today, I'll be using the 1 TEASPOON per gal of Molasses and have to double check the Panela mixing instructions again.... Maltose (malt extract) will be added with other 2 from next watering as I haven't found any yet!

I have a Q for any BC users what ratio do you use it @? 2ml per L as bottle says or weaker?

Here's a few pics of the stuff I intend to use... U may see some aspirin in there to... I read that it contains salicylic acid which is thought to be one of the active ingredients in Canna's boost. Haven't quite got comfortable with the idea of spraying aspirin onto my girls so I think I'll give that a miss until someone a lil braver than myself gives it a try

I'll try do weekly updates of 2 or so plants from each group to see how things come along, also smell tests and ultimately smoke test

Any advice of doses, or other stuff I may wanna try adding fire away... Or just general advice/ criticism or praise lol! Is very welcome!!!
~Shhh~ is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:17 PM #2
Psuper

Psuper is a jewel in the roughPsuper is a jewel in the roughPsuper is a jewel in the roughPsuper is a jewel in the roughPsuper is a jewel in the roughPsuper is a jewel in the rough
You find powdered or liquid malt extract or light malt extract at brewery supply stores. Only about $6 for a pound of the powdered, a little more for the liquid stuff. I am not sure about dosing with cannabis though.
Psuper is offline Quote

Old 06-07-2010, 08:23 PM #3
~Shhh~
JETS

Ok man, cheers for that... seems like the malt extract maybe out of the question... The Molasses & Panela will have to do then!
~Shhh~ is offline Quote

Old 06-07-2010, 08:25 PM #4
junior_grower

junior_grower is a jewel in the roughjunior_grower is a jewel in the roughjunior_grower is a jewel in the roughjunior_grower is a jewel in the roughjunior_grower is a jewel in the roughjunior_grower is a jewel in the roughjunior_grower is a jewel in the rough
I personally use blackstrap and have recently started adding fruit juice concentrates.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:34 PM #5
herbwarts

herbwarts will become famous soon enough
I've been using bud candy but I think sweet leaf is better much sweeter smoke

herbwarts is offline Quote

Old 06-09-2010, 01:43 AM #6
toohighmf

toohighmf is just really nicetoohighmf is just really nicetoohighmf is just really nicetoohighmf is just really nicetoohighmf is just really nicetoohighmf is just really nicetoohighmf is just really nicetoohighmf is just really nicetoohighmf is just really nicetoohighmf is just really nicetoohighmf is just really nice
Ok.. how do I do this without completely bashing AN.

molasses. molasses. molasses. raw cane sugar, etc. scew aspirin! why would anyone pourposely simulate a viral attack or infestation to immunize or stress a plant to increase terp production???? keep your shit healthy and your room clean, enviro right, and you don't need to worry about it. if you have live beneficials in your soiless mix, you need to feed them carbs. molasses is a carb and has beneficials in it as well. seems like a much simpler, and cost effective means than buying into snake oil.
toohighmf is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:04 AM #7
~Shhh~
JETS

I hear ya toohigh! The aspirin was a side thought since put on the back burner.

It will probably end up that the molasses/cane sugar combo is equal the 'snake oil' I just wanted to see what the differences were when all the other stuff AN add to BC was taken out of the mix. That hydroplex isn't available where where I'm at btw.

Couple observation about the molasses/ cane sugar~ they dissolve nice and easy into warm water quickly enough.

I keep reading that some people add 1 TABLESPOON (tbsp) molasses per gal then others add 1 TEASPOON (tsp) per gal... why is that?

When I added the 1 tsp per gal of molasses to my water it went up by 0.15EC pretty much the same for the panela too... I'm watching for any adverse effects of this as the BC didn't make the EC go up by much if at all.
~Shhh~ is offline Quote

Old 06-09-2010, 03:12 AM #8
toohighmf

toohighmf is just really nicetoohighmf is just really nicetoohighmf is just really nicetoohighmf is just really nicetoohighmf is just really nicetoohighmf is just really nicetoohighmf is just really nicetoohighmf is just really nicetoohighmf is just really nicetoohighmf is just really nicetoohighmf is just really nice
I don't know why some use a tsp and others a TBSP. I would probably run a tsp through bloom and final flush w a TBSP the first week, plain water the next

Old 06-09-2010, 06:13 AM #9
Greenmopho
Banned

Greenmopho has a spectacular aura aboutGreenmopho has a spectacular aura aboutGreenmopho has a spectacular aura aboutGreenmopho has a spectacular aura aboutGreenmopho has a spectacular aura about
Bump!

I've been wondering this myself. I've used molasses with good results and excellent tasting buds. I can't say I noticed a huge difference in flavor/potency/trichomes, but it did help yield a bit, and I did notice a somewhat stronger smell.

Never used Sweet, FloraNectar, Bud Kandy, Kushie Kush, or any of those...
Greenmopho is offline Quote

Old 06-09-2010, 06:49 AM #10
toohighmf

I used sweetleaf once... once.

If you have good genetics, you don't need berry and nut extracts to change the flavor. humics & molasses will increase terps & essential oils, flavenoids, and trich production to bring out the best in the best.

adding sweet or any of these things on mediocre genes helps a little, but as my pappy told me, "You can't polish a turd"...

5 members found this post helpful.