What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A Diversion from my Norm

Greetings fellow THC enthusiast. I've been a naughty diviner and strayed from my current nutrient program.

See I've been running a test on an AK48 grown from feminized seed from nirvana. The seedling Ivana is a 4gal DWC Bubbler. Ivana has produced 8 cuts for my bubble cloner all of which have root bumps at 5 days.

The cuttings will Veg for 2-3 weeks depending upon how soon the are ready for transplant to DWC. I shoot for 4 weeks cut to 12/12. My Veg Cab is all DWC while sporting 300watts of CFL.

My Flower room is vertically challenged with 600watts of HPS. Due to the height constraints I will flower in 2.5gal Hempy Buckets with 100% Hydroton as medium.

I will be using 1tsp (roughly 7grams) of GH Maxibloom per gallon all the way through. Yes, this falls in line with the Lucas/Mel Frank/pm ratios.

So without further delay, let me introduce Ivana to you.

AKmommaresized.jpg

She just turned 6weeks old today.

One of the goals of this tread is show caution in the face of any change or progression of technique. I'm going to develop a performance baseline with the first run. No topping, training or additives during this initial group. As this grow will progress into a perpetual grow I will be able to advance one thing at a time on a weekly basis.

Please note that bar any unforeseeable circumstance I intend to use GH Maxibloom as the only nutrient product for this project.

I'll try and keep it simple and use only the following Nutrient Ratio's:

1tsp GH Maxibloom per Gal = Lucas' Ratios
3/4 strength Lucas' Ratios
1/2 strength Lucas' Ratios
1/4 strength Lucas' Ratios
1/8 strength Lucas' Ratios

TFD

Last edited:
Quick update, the cuttings rooted in 7 days at 100%. I then felt compelled to donate those to a patient in need. I took eight more 4 days ago, and will be looking for roots in another 3-4 days. I'm hoping this only set things back a week. Next update will be pics of the babies after transplanting to the Veg buckets.

TFD

Picture Update

Picture Update

Ok, I've got 3 cuttings transplanted into DWC. Note to self, the bigger cuttings rooted a day or two faster. Everything rooted, I'll be transplanting 3 more tomarow and culling the remaining two. So far everything is looking great and I couldn't be happier. There are no signs of trouble and I'm enthused by the green. So far the maxibloom is showing well.

Looks like Maxibloom stains the roots pink, but pink is pretty. The roots smell like lettuce to me. Lots of the fishbone look in the overall structure. I think things are looking mighty good under Ivana's skirt.

I got no worries with the babies at this juncture. I feel confident in sticking with the program at this stage.

Don't be fooled by the cloner it was a gift, and was missing the pump and sprayer. I took the easy road and converted it to a bubbler with an air-stone/pump combo. It works great and the heat mat seems to help move things along.

TFD

Thanks man, the CFL wattage is an estimate as I got a couple of 120's and a couple of t5's.
Right now the t5's are off and I may not need them. I'll be looking to keep the inter nodal spacing short so we'll see whats enough I guess.

TFD

Quick update, all 6 slots in the veg DWC buckets are now with plant. Everything is coming along nicely. I'll be busy this weekend but will give a picture progress update early next week.

TFD

chooKcha

Hey, doesn't light adversely affect the roots?

Why are you showing us your girls bottom half..? Seems a bit too scandalous for internet forums.

LOL, not really when its only for show and tell.

Looks like I'm going to turn 600watts hps into 1200watts hps in the new flower room. Also, looks like it will be happening sooner than later, the boss has given her stamp of approval.

TFD

SumDumGuy

"easy growing type"
Veteran
Ok, I've got 3 cuttings transplanted into DWC. Note to self, the bigger cuttings rooted a day or two faster. Everything rooted, I'll be transplanting 3 more tomarow and culling the remaining two. So far everything is looking great and I couldn't be happier. There are no signs of trouble and I'm enthused by the green. So far the maxibloom is showing well.

Looks like Maxibloom stains the roots pink, but pink is pretty. The roots smell like lettuce to me. Lots of the fishbone look in the overall structure. I think things are looking mighty good under Ivana's skirt.

I got no worries with the babies at this juncture. I feel confident in sticking with the program at this stage.

Don't be fooled by the cloner it was a gift, and was missing the pump and sprayer. I took the easy road and converted it to a bubbler with an air-stone/pump combo. It works great and the heat mat seems to help move things along.

TFD

Looking fantastic!

Advanced Propegation

Advanced Propegation

Time to transfer the last to cuttings to 100% perlite solo cup hempys.

0111.JPG
0129.JPG

As you can see, Ivana has grown quite a bit, even with regular pruning. I'll lighten her up in the middle a bit, while shortening to keep her off the lights.

0164.JPG

While I'm pruning Ivana up, I'll set up a couple of air-layers as well. This will allow me to propegate on the mother while not increasing my plant count (15 for a WA mmj patient). So now I can go perpetual harvest with a 6 week veg cycle (not including propegation), an 8 week flower cycle and one mother.

Ok we got some Glad press'n seal, sterilized gear, and rockwool soaking in 5.8 ph 1/8th strength Lucas' ratio Maxibloom.

0153.JPG

I'll do the air-layer here.

0173.JPG

With a scalple, make two parallel cuts about 1 inch apart around the stem and through the bark and cambium layer. Connect the two parallel cuts with one long cut. Remove the ring of bark, leaving the inner woody tissue exposed.

0184.JPG
0194.JPG

Next I'll wring out the rockwool plug and slit it in half. I then wrap it around the exposed stuff and wrap the whole thing with the press'n seal. I'll water this with a syringe with 1/8th strength nutrients every two to three days. We should see roots in a couple of weeks.

0212.JPG

Here is everything back in the cabenet.

0232.JPG

TFD

I'm not sure which propagation method I like best.

The modified daisy cloner works in 7-10 days for the most part with close to 100% success rate, barring operator error.

The air-layering opens up an addition 50% veg time in the perpetual grow, and should root in 10-20 days. The air-layer will also continue to grow and I'll be able to air prune the rockwool plug prior to detachment and transplant. I'm hoping I can dial this in for a overall heavier plant at harvest.

TFD

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
Been familiar with "air-layer"ing for... shit... fifteen years, but never pulled the trigger. I'd like to keep an eye on this.

Best wishes.

wow wat a loophole that is. never heard of air layering. looks interesting. so u let it root then just cut it off below the cube. does this take long?

Been familiar with "air-layer"ing for... shit... fifteen years, but never pulled the trigger. I'd like to keep an eye on this.

Best wishes.

Yea, I've been wanting to work this in ever sense my numbers got limited by my medical recomendation.

wow wat a loophole that is. never heard of air layering. looks interesting. so u let it root then just cut it off below the cube. does this take long?

That sums it up. It takes about 10 minutes to set up and I'm guessing 10-20 days to root.

TFD

Thanks for stopping by one Q.

Quick update, the air-layers are fine both pointing to the sky, just like they should. Gave each one about 5ml of 1/8th strength solution with an irrigation syringe from the dentist. The syringe is the ticket on watering these for sure.

Changed out the solution on each of the 3 hole DWC tubs bumped the solution from 1/2 strength to 3/4 strength. I'll do a quick look before lights out just to make sure nothing too radical is happening.

Remember, I'll try and keep it simple and use only the following Nutrient Ratio's:

1tsp GH Maxibloom per Gal = Lucas' Ratios
3/4 strength Lucas' Ratios
1/2 strength Lucas' Ratios
1/4 strength Lucas' Ratios
1/8 strength Lucas' Ratios

TFD

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
... If this air-layering works out clean for you (and I can keep a mom alive long enough to try)... I am more than happy to give it a run...

Best wishes.

Man, I've never hit a harder stretch in my life. Nothing that used to work wants to do shit these days... Things that I used to just walk away from and come back to beauty go to hell as soon as I look for... well, anything. If this air-layering works out clean for you (and I can keep a mom alive long enough to try)... I am more than happy to give it a run...

Best wishes.

Yea man, been there before. You'll get back on track. Just stick to the basics K.I.S.S. and you'll be all right.

Quick update, just framed in most of the new flower room. Looks like I'll have 7.5'x4.5' of floor space. Ceiling is at 8', so I'll be able to get everything of the floor a bit so my back suffers less. 2x600HPS should be just about perfect. This room will be climate controlled to within 5-10 degrees of 75F +/- by using A/C and Heat on thermostats. I'll get pics up when it's a little further along.

TFD

Latest posts

Latest posts