What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

White Mold on top of Coir ?

xcrispi

Hey folks ,
I'm a first time coir user , I'm using coco tek red bricks in Air Pots inside a 4.5 x 4.5 x 7 ft tent . Humiditys only 50% - there' is tons of air exchange in the tent . Since it's my 1st time w/ coir I mixed 1/2 of the pots w/ 1/3 pearlite , the others are straight coir . Mixing coir / pearlite was a mistake = drys out 2 damn fast - but there is no sign of the mold in these guys , yet in 2 days time I'm seeing the beginings of a film of what I think is white mold starting on top of the medium on the straight coir .

Will a cpl. teaspoons of H2O2 every now and then in the nute mix get rid of the voodoo ? If not - whats the cure ?

Thanks in advance for any / all posts / help .
Crispi
:hotbounce:hotbounce:hotbounce

knewbreed

Its not mold its trichoderma (sp?) which is a beneficial fungus that is natural in Coco its ok don't worry about it. Although it may be salt build up, what nutes are you using? I have heard of excess salt build up on coco tek coco. Try not to using the h202 so much when using beneficial bacteria like voodoo, it just kills them.

indifferent

Veteran
Yes, it's probably either salt buildup (most likely) or trichoderma.

H202 kills bacteria so never use it if you are using beneficials like voodoo.

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If it looks like cake icing or like a solid fungus with some green algae mixed in then leave it alone, it's good. If it is fuzzy and stringy like cobwebs & all white then it is most likely cobweb mold and you should spray it with hydrogen peroxide. Rockwool cubes get the same exact thing on top and it is beneficial to the root zone as it crowds out pathogenic molds & fungus. ;)

xcrispi

Doubtful it's salt build up yet , but anythiungs possible .
I'm using FNB and Cal Mag plus , handwatering till i just see run off , every now and then I give em a big blast - alot of run off in hopes of preventing build up . Done my best at not letting them ever completely dry out either .
Thanks guys
Crispi

xcrispi

If it looks like cake icing or like a solid fungus with some green algae mixed in then leave it alone, it's good. If it is fuzzy and stringy like cobwebs & all white then it is most likely cobweb mold and you should spray it with hydrogen peroxide. Rockwool cubes get the same exact thing on top and it is beneficial to the root zone as it crowds out pathogenic molds & fungus. ;)

It's the begining of an even layer - not webbing .
I've not let it get any further to see color changes yet - I just ruff up the top layer of coir before watering and it's gone for 2 days till the next time I water .
Apreciate the respones folks
Crispi

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah dude that is beneficial just let it be. It will not hurt you whatsoever. :)

F

fizzbomb

sorry i have to disagree with most of the replys saying to leave it alone, what i would do is scrape that shit away next time you see it and replace it with fresh coco, you can buy thricoderma powder and next time your feeding your plant add it to the feed unless the coco already has it in it when you buy it???, if you let that continue the way it is it will end up eating away at the bottom of the stem and become infected, maybe buy a little fan for blowing along the bottom of the plants as well as the tops, good air circulation is what is needed here, as its usually caused by poor air circulation, just try and scrape it all away and replace it with fresh coco, add some thricoderma powder next time you feed and get a little fan to increase the air circulation at the bottom of the plants, i dont like any kind of mold growing on top of the coco, i know every1 does things differently, but thats what i would do, best of luck.

edit, sorry just seen in your first post that you say there is plenty of good air circulation, so it cant be that, i dont like to keep my coco wet all the time, could be caused by that also, best to let it dry out a bit before feeding again, dont think it supposed to be kept wet all the time, maybe thats the problem?? gl

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
this is nothing to worry about, as has been said.

canna coco contains trichoderma and that stuff will grow where ever it gets to the air. you can cover it but there is no need. it's totally normal under certain conditions. you might find it disappears once the top layer of coco drys out a bit between waterings, when the plant is bigger.

maybe if the white moldy stuff is touching the stem of seedling, i'd wipe it away at that place. but it really isn't harmful. it's a sign of the opposite of harmful :)

3dDream

Matter that Appreciates Matter
Veteran
Get out the old ec meter and read plain water then add in a pinch of white stuff. If the ec shoots up you know it's salt, if not it's micros.

prowler

Buy a bottle of liquid oxygen (vetyperoxide) just in case. A couple of waterings with that stuff will kill it. No need to cover or replace the top layer. If it starts to grow on stems then apply liquid oxygen.