First time poster here.
I'm a new grower with journals going on a different site. That being said, take what I have to say with a grain of salt.
I have spent 10 days or so going over this entire thread up to page 169 and some 2500 posts. I've read nearly every post that had real content and much of the bantering bs as well.
Unfortunately I can't seem to get pages to go beyond #187, so I'm hoping posting will also open it up for me.
Things of note I have found within this thread:
1. Numerous requests and DEMANDS for side by side as the only means to "prove" the theory. EVEN when told MANY TIMES side by side is not a provable test because of canopy height differences resulting in light positions being off from A & B samples AS WELL AS non def plants will shade out the def plant thus restricting the entire point which is to get light penetration over a WIDE, EVEN, OPEN, canopy to reach the TRAINED lower bud sites.
2. While OP suggests MANY times to start in veg, and to also NOT defoliate during 1st 21 days of flower (waiting for stretch to end), numerous folks have in fact done the opposite with less than preferred results and then BLAMED the technique as the cause! This in turn FUELS the posers the absolutely REFUSE to acknowledge those that have shown MANY pictures of plant after plant getting FAR higher yields using this method. Even some of these that did see large increases in yield mention they originally started in flower and saw results. However, it appears that those that actually followed the directions saw even higher yields.
3. Claims of LOWER yields. Yet numerous of these posters had other problems thus causing bad grows. Lets not forget the poster claiming mold was caused by doing defoliation! Wait, MOLD is a result of bad ENVIRONMENT! High humidity, bad air circulation are two leading causes of mold. Yet DEFOLIATING improves upon these problems with less transpiration and more circulation! As well, numerous claims of lower yield were posted when growers started def in EARLY flower! BAD IDEA! That is not what was suggested. Ever.
4. Total disregard to one poster (gosh I hate not remembering who) that is a top retired statistical comparative analyst further refuting why you cannot do side by side in this scenario.
5. How does one POSSIBLY argue posters that give their yields of previous grows without defoliating, then post results and pictures of 6 or more CONSECUTIVE same strain, same pheno, grows with yields of 30%-40% more than they had achieved before (delta9 or something I believe?).
6. Numerous bashers of this technique refuse to even accept what the definition of defoliation is even AFTER given precise definitions from all over the web in technical form. Let alone, this being the "given
" name for this technique by the op.
All that being said, while my 4x4 tent is in flower, I have a closet grow of clones going until I can harvest and move to my LED tent.
I was originally going to def SOME until I read this thread further and understood do all or none. So, all my clones are same strain, same mother except for 1 plant which is a different pheno (all AK48).
Mind you I have had a couple issues that were MY FAULT. One being accidentally burning some leaves on cfl when I held the tub-top up too high. Another being placing a 1 gal ice jug inside tub which froze and broke off the roots of a clone (which is recovering but almost died).
Here is a progression of pics up to date. I'm only 21 days into veg from clone rooting in root riot cubes. I have not had ideal conditions because my chiller is in use in my tent. I also had to hand feed 2 plants in tub daily because I only had a 6 port hub for my DWC.
These pics were from transplant to today (day 21). They are about 7-8" tall and will stay in veg 3 more weeks or so until I can move to tent after harvest. They are posted in chronological order.
Transplant day + 4
I have no qualms trying this out. I have little experience growing as well. But I read my ass off. I also will not whine if I fail. After all, it will probably be my fault if I do. The things I am noticing so far are tight node development, robust recovery. Today I topped 2-3 (cant recall) and I have allowed some fans to stay a few days more at time until the corresponding node developed just a bit more. I am also doing my first bending-training with these. Kinda scary (for a newcomer like me) but you may be able to see these trained nodes are heading outwards which is exactly what we want.
Just a little side note about this thread. The definition of ignorance is: Ignorance
is a state of being uninformed (lack of knowledge
). Also, from wikipedia on the Consequences of Ignorance: Individuals with superficial knowledge of a topic or subject may be worse off than people who know absolutely nothing. As Charles Darwin
observed, "ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
I hope and pray after 50+ yrs on this planet I never enter the state of ignorance.