Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Grow It! > Growers Forums > Indoor Grows - Hydro > What are the causes of "airy" buds

Thread Title Search    
Click to buy IC Mag Products
 What are the causes of "airy" buds Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 02:14 AM   #1
Darth Fader

Darth Fader is a name known to allDarth Fader is a name known to allDarth Fader is a name known to allDarth Fader is a name known to allDarth Fader is a name known to allDarth Fader is a name known to all
What are the causes of "airy" buds

So pros, what are the main causes for "airy" buds?

Thx All!

I seek the reek!

~ Regret: Those were the droids I was looking for! ~
Darth Fader jest offline   Quote

Old 05-11-2010, 02:20 AM   #2
Emperor Herer

Emperor Herer is on a distinguished road
Heat. Just read some Ask Ed this weekend. Days over 85. Even though the plants can live, and even thrive in high heat, 90-100+ make for stringy plants... like Sativas. Maybe the real 'changes' to the land-races that we know.

Bad light makes them 'stretch' but, bad light will give you airy buds... but bad, airy buds to boot.

Stay cool, stay safe.

You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live. Ayn Rand

https://www.icmag.com/ic/image.php?t...ine=1274934828
Emperor Herer jest offline   Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:30 AM   #3
Maj.Cottonmouth
The High Bidder

Maj.Cottonmouth is a survivorMaj.Cottonmouth is a survivorMaj.Cottonmouth is a survivorMaj.Cottonmouth is a survivorMaj.Cottonmouth is a survivorMaj.Cottonmouth is a survivorMaj.Cottonmouth is a survivorMaj.Cottonmouth is a survivorMaj.Cottonmouth is a survivorMaj.Cottonmouth is a survivorMaj.Cottonmouth is a survivor
I had heat issues this last run and it definitely dropped my harvest by about 25%, I did not get the tight buds like I did the previous run.
Maj.Cottonmouth jest offline   Quote

Old 05-11-2010, 02:32 AM   #4
big ballin 88
Biology over Chemistry

big ballin 88 is a splendid one to beholdbig ballin 88 is a splendid one to beholdbig ballin 88 is a splendid one to beholdbig ballin 88 is a splendid one to beholdbig ballin 88 is a splendid one to beholdbig ballin 88 is a splendid one to beholdbig ballin 88 is a splendid one to behold
I live in a tropical climate and the above is right. The main cause is heat. We can grow some nugs the size of your fist but they are gonna be foxtailed if its a good strain. Otherwise they would die of mold most likely. I've never heard of bad light, but if the light is to far you can also get airy buds.

"If you can't be in a med state...you can always be in a medicated state."
-Capt.Cheeze1

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting one in a fruit salad. "

"Alcohol reminds me of my Ex's. I always wonder why I stay away from it till I indulge and remember it has nothing to offer me."

big ballin 88 jest offline   Quote

Old 05-11-2010, 02:53 AM   #5
dubbalicious

dubbalicious is a jewel in the roughdubbalicious is a jewel in the roughdubbalicious is a jewel in the rough
IMO, heat has alot to do with it, i like to keep my rooms between 75/78 lights on
dubbalicious jest offline   Quote

Old 05-11-2010, 04:25 AM   #6
filo6942

filo6942 will become famous soon enough
Weak lighting will do it.
filo6942 jest offline   Quote

Old 05-11-2010, 04:33 AM   #7
delta9nxs
No Jive Productions

delta9nxs has a brilliant futuredelta9nxs has a brilliant futuredelta9nxs has a brilliant futuredelta9nxs has a brilliant futuredelta9nxs has a brilliant futuredelta9nxs has a brilliant futuredelta9nxs has a brilliant futuredelta9nxs has a brilliant futuredelta9nxs has a brilliant futuredelta9nxs has a brilliant futuredelta9nxs has a brilliant future
Smile

hi, darth, i agree the heat can cause this but placing your light too far above can do it too. the tops stretch towards it.

nutrients with ammonium and urea based nitrogen forms airier, more stretched out buds. use nitrate form only during flower.

a weak nutrient dose in flower will do it.

later
delta9nxs jest offline   Quote

Old 05-11-2010, 05:05 AM   #8
KUSHEATER1
I Need Kush,Kush

KUSHEATER1 has a spectacular aura aboutKUSHEATER1 has a spectacular aura aboutKUSHEATER1 has a spectacular aura about
light, heat, and last but not least genes use some gravity at the end of flower and they will harden up even more

Bubba Kush running Louie og
KUSHEATER1 jest offline   Quote

Old 05-11-2010, 05:58 PM   #9
maryjane481

maryjane481 is on a distinguished road
cause for airy buds

IMO the cause for airy buds has been overcrowding. My last grow was cool - about 70 to 75F but the plants were crowded.
They grew tall and stringy with airy buds.
maryjane481 jest offline   Quote

Old 05-11-2010, 06:35 PM   #10
ToughGirl
Playing with fire...

ToughGirl is just really niceToughGirl is just really niceToughGirl is just really niceToughGirl is just really niceToughGirl is just really nice
I think it's the plant itself. I've had crops (that were all one strain) and had airy budded plants, right next to it's thick tight giant bud sister. So it may be heat, it may be poor lighting, or it may just be shit luck...
ToughGirl jest offline   Quote

Old 05-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #11
Darth Fader

Darth Fader is a name known to allDarth Fader is a name known to allDarth Fader is a name known to allDarth Fader is a name known to allDarth Fader is a name known to allDarth Fader is a name known to all
I read somewhere someone mentioned that any stress will stunt growth. Anyone believe deficiencies can create plant stress that contribute to this? And is temp itself the issue, or rather stress, as the result of high temps? Just wondering if staying as stress-free as possible would contribute much to correct the issue.

Thx all!

I seek the reek!

~ Regret: Those were the droids I was looking for! ~
Darth Fader jest offline   Quote

Old 05-12-2010, 09:25 AM   #12
extreegrowerrr

extreegrowerrr will become famous soon enough
In my experience...heat is a big one...also the strain. sativas are good for this...cutting early as well a mostly sativa strain would need more then a regular 8-9week indica strain. mostly sativa strains have gotten nice and nuggy if given the proper time to mature for me. sativas are a bitch.
extreegrowerrr jest offline   Quote

Old 05-12-2010, 05:17 PM   #13
smoke headies

smoke headies will become famous soon enough
As far as "room temps" go. I would take a temp reading from the top of my canopy.

For example, the top of my canopy is 79f. But my room temp is 75. I get my canopy temp up to about 93 with co2.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:46 PM   #14
FunkBomb
Power Armor rules

FunkBomb is a splendid one to beholdFunkBomb is a splendid one to beholdFunkBomb is a splendid one to beholdFunkBomb is a splendid one to beholdFunkBomb is a splendid one to beholdFunkBomb is a splendid one to beholdFunkBomb is a splendid one to beholdFunkBomb is a splendid one to behold
Sativa genetics will give you airy buds. But don't despair because they will light up your brain. A lack of light especially on lower budsites will give you airy buds too.

-Funk

Bertrand Russell
FunkBomb jest offline   Quote

Old 05-13-2010, 07:14 PM   #15
OzzBozz

OzzBozz will become famous soon enough
sativa genetics with high temps... some strains are also just real scraggly

ohh yeah, the larfy buds are from lack of light as well/ penetration in the canopy
OzzBozz jest offline   Quote