What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Identifying Female Cannabis Seeds

Tripsick

Experienced?
Veteran
So i stumbled upon this picture showing how to identify a female from the Seed its self. The depression on the back of the seed if this is really defined then its a female.. or so this says.

Any truth to this?

picture.php

I'm starting some bag seed that i found that match this criteria :whistling:

I think there must have been a way to tell hemp seed sex, because hemp grown for rope etc is from the male plant because they grow much bigger and have tougher fibres. Farmers in times long gone would make losses if half of their crop were female i would have thought. So maybe there is some truth in this? As far as i know theres no way to make male only seeds, so i think they must have had a way to tell the sex of the seeds.

K

kannubis

I don't know, but send all number 2 & 4 seeds to me and I will let you know ;)

burningfire

Veteran
I think there must have been a way to tell hemp seed sex, because hemp grown for rope etc is from the male plant because they grow much bigger and have tougher fibres. Farmers in times long gone would make losses if half of their crop were female i would have thought. So maybe there is some truth in this? As far as i know theres no way to make male only seeds, so i think they must have had a way to tell the sex of the seeds.

I don't think that's true, females are grown for fiber, just look at the fields you will see males and females

B

blazesck

Are you sure that chart is referring to cannabis? I'm not some seed expert or anything but I've never seen a volcano-like depression on any seed.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Reminds me of the 'lore' that you can sex plants early by the number of fingers on the leaf at tier X. If these methods worked, someone could really make a fortune sexing cannabis plants early!

Wikipedia of course. Where anyone can make any entry say anything, no matter unbelievable of slanderous or just plain wrong.

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
lol i don't think there's any truth to this, i'm no veteran breeder/grower with millions of seeds having passed through my hands, but i've never noticed any indentations on the bottom of any fem or regular seeds i've used, and have still had females grow up.... if there's truth to this i'll believe it when we've more than a single diagram/picture to go off.

ps. i would've thought seed companies would've sprung onto this years ago saving them time creating fem seeds, if it were fact.

darwin