What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My experiences with Miracle Grow Potting Mix with slow released feed

SumDumGuy

"easy growing type"
Veteran
Good Morning ICMag,
I've recently started my very first mother garden for cloning. Now I'm very familiar with hydroponics and I have about 10 full term grows under my belt. Let me clarify though my experience has never exceeded more than 12 plants per grow therefore I am not categorizing myself with the more profound growers known to ICMag. I'm just a small time grower who loves the process and experience of growing more than life itself (seriously).

Now with no surprise - I have ZERO experience with successful cloning. This is my first step into the world of cloning and I hope to keep my moms alive for many years to come.

Now to start off I ordered (5) GH TrainWreck Seeds along with (5) GH LemonSkunk Seeds. I had (4) G13xNYCD seeds left from a previous grow which I've recently germed along with all the GH genetics I've purchased.

I decided to use Miracle Grow Potting Mix with the time released feed. I chose this mix because I didn't want to hassle with feeding the plants so early in this stage. The MG Potting Mix I've been using is rated for 3 months but just recently I repotted and I used a mix that was rated for 6 months.

Here are some pics of what appears to be a micro nutrient deficiency (serious purple under the leaves). This plant is a G13xNYCD exactly 33 days old today. She should be way bigger but I've only recently placed them under a more powerful light. This just started showing after repotting her and placing under a 400W HPS with Daylight floros. What do you guys think. I want to make sure before this hits the remaining younger plants.
picture.php

picture.php

I can easily go ahead and make a batch of half strength nute juice using GH Micro but at the same time it may be some type of pheno trait although I doubt it. Long story short - could it be possible that Miracle Grow Potting Mixes lack the necessary micro nutrients needed for growing cannabis or has my plant seriously juiced up the reserves from the time released soil.

SumDumGuy

"easy growing type"
Veteran
MG Slow release formula states that you do not need to feed for 3 months.
I take that to mean it is releasing nitrogen for 3 months. You want to cut that nitrogen in two months usually, when you put them into flower. It may stall your flowering in my opinion.

Hi randude101,
Thanks for your reply man. The thing is I don't plan on flowering these soil plants. Not ever. They're going to be mothers for my hydro setup. It's that purple that gets me. I've never had purple in veg but then again I've never used Miracle Grow. Does this MG have everything that a cannabis plant needs. I can foliar feed a light dose of micro but I really don't want to add to what may or may not be a problem. I guess flushing is out of the question since it's only going to release more nutes as the water dissolved the time released capsules in the mix. Then again this may not be a problem at all. I just wanted to poke around and see if anyone out there ever experienced this.

SumDumGuy

"easy growing type"
Veteran
when i used the 3 month stuff i have found it really only lasts a month before requiring additional nutes.

Hi supermanlives,
Thank you for stopping by. I'm at 33days in with this one here. I will definitely try feeding at half strength on the next feed. Thank you for your input. I was trying to figure it out and thought I had a real special plant lol but it's plain to see it's a deficiency. I'll wait till the soil dries out and hit it then.

supermanlives

Veteran
i used alot of mg soil once. it was great for cloning if cut 50/50 perlite. even on clones within a month they needed additional ferts. maybe if your growing lettuce it would last 3 months but not for mj. good luck

SumDumGuy

"easy growing type"
Veteran
i never tried 6 month formula BTW

Only the bottom 3rd of the pot got the 6month mix. I reused the 3month mix on top so I wouldn't have to break the root ball. Nonetheless it was decent for a month and it really fed the plants well but I think you're right on the money with it being 3month feed for lettuce.. I think 1 month is good enough for MJ. I figure in 2 more weeks I'll clip a cutting from each plant to run some tests but the cuttings are gonna go strain into full strength GH so I'll be happy if I get to that point. The biggest mile stone for me would be properly keeping a mom for a year or more but from what I read it is definitely possible.

Hey supermanlives, thank you for chiming in on this one man. I really appreciate the input. This is exactly what I needed.