What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kali Bubba Kush + Afgooey Grow

jawnroot

This is my first proper grow in a while, and what better way to do it up than with some legit genetics? These are clone-only Bubba Kush and Afgooey. I chose these two because they have similar growth rates, and also because they're both excellent smoke.

Off-hand, I don't remember the lineage of Bubba Kush, but I'm fairly certain this is the Katsu cut. Afgooey is old school Afghani x Maui Haze.

• Veg Setup: Went from 3/19 to 4/1 under 27 watt 6000K CFLs (each plant had its own light). Internodes kept short, between 1/2 and 3/4 inch.
  • Flowering Setup: GL-60 grow tent, with a 250 watt HPS. Exhaust = 150 cfm Elicent inline (blowing into a CAN 9000). Intake = 142 cfm CAN (sucking through an Elf). Speed controller on exhaust.
  • All details regarding nutes, medium, etc, can be found here: My Pure Blend Pro Feed Schedule

And now, on to the pics...

jawnroot

3/19:

picture.php

Afgoo left, Bubba right.

As soon as I got these home, noticed a minor/moderate spider mite issue. Was about to give up on them, throw them away, but figured I might as well stick it out. Planted the plugs in 10oz plastic cups.

Pretty much had a "fuck it" mentality after seeing the mites, so let them get deficient. On top of that, the Afgoo grew up into the light and developed a slight burn.

Treated them with Floramite and that solved the mite problem. Got my shit back together, and they picked right up as if nothing had happened.

3/27:

picture.php

Bubba left, Afgoo right.

Upcanned into 6" pots. Even a week later, they're looking so much better.

jawnroot

4/3 -- Flowering Day 2

picture.php

Plants just upcanned into 2 gallon nursery pots. Afgoo and Bubba both approximately 9" tall going in. Neither plant is reputed to be a big stretcher, so I'm assuming they'll finish at 20" or less.

You can see the bulb burn on the Afgoo (low leaf, right plant). That's from early on, when I was disillusioned and neglectful because of the spider mite problem. The light coloration on some of the lower grow tips is not due to deficiency, but the fact that those sites weren't receiving much light under the CFL.

Overall, the Bubba is a really resilient plant thus far. It was barely affected by the mites, and has shown no significant signs of nutrient issues at any point. It seems to be growing in a columnar "budsickle" pattern, but we'll see how it turns out.

The Afgoo, by contrast, is quite a hungry little devil, and was much more susceptible to the mites. It seems to be growing in a multi-branched pattern.

Both smell fantastic. The Afgoo has a kind of pineapple thing going on, whereas the Bubba reminds me of that smell you get when walking into a coffee house (i.e. strong, fresh roasted beans). Both reek, and are not low odor strains.

jawnroot

4/16 -- Flowering Day 14

Two weeks in, and the plants have fully doubled in size (now 18" vs. 9" when going in). One of the aspects that amazes me the most is how relative these two are in terms of growth rate. They remain exactly the same vertical height, despite being morphologically quite different (i.e. different size leaves, different growing pattern, etc). They're proving to be a good pair for side by side growing.

At first, prior to flowering, the Bubba looked as though it was going to be a "budsickle" plant, with one main grow shoot. Now, two weeks in, there are several side shoots developing. Only about half as many, though, when compared to the Afgoo, which has multiple bud sites, and what looks to be a fledgling "Christmas tree" pattern.

This observation seems to fall in line with yield reports I've read. Bubba tends to give a below average harvest, whereas Afgoo is average to above average. We'll see.

In other news, some of the nodes got a bit long on me, 1.5" in some cases, but not too bad. Given all my variables are in check, I can only assume this is a genetic trait of the two plants in question. It's my hope that the space fills in with bud down the line.

Pics were taken right before a much needed feeding/watering. They were also hosed-down with Azamax. Even though I haven't seen any mites or signs of mite damage since the Floramax application nearly a month ago, I want to be safe.

(Images a touch over-exposed, but good enough, methinks.)

Afgoo:
picture.php

Bubba:
picture.php

Below is a 100% crop from the above Afgoo image. I didn't think to take budshots this early on, but even in the crop you can see notable trichome accumulation. These two were pumping out visual glands starting at week one, which is earlier than I've experienced in the past. Even the large fan leaves are starting to get a sparkly shimmer--

--looks like I might have some sticky ones on my hands! :yes:

picture.php

ThcInfused

looking great man, i have plants outside about 9'' tall that are showing preflower.. so im very interested to see what you yeild off that afgoo. anyways good luck

jawnroot

April 30 -- Flowering Day 28

Man, week three was one problem after the next. First, I hit them with Azamax as a preventative. The very next day, pistils starting withering. Fortunately, only the very tips of the pistils died, and the buds continued growing like nothing happened...but still.

Then, just as the Azamax debacle was clearing up, almost overnight they began displaying symptoms of minor to moderate deficiency across the board. Nitrogen most severely, but also phosphorus, calcium, and magnesium.

The problem was my experimental fert dose, only 4ml/liter of PBP Bloom Soil. Looked good on paper, not so much in action (now running 5.5 ml/liter).

Fortunately, I was able to catch it early enough, to the point where major damage was averted, and bud growth continued like normal. You can still see tissue damage from the phosphorus deficiency in the pictures, in addition to tip burn from Mg def. Not pretty, but then, not terminal either.

Buds are filling in nicely. The Afgoo has more frost at four weeks than I've ever seen this early on. The smells coming off both varieties are mind blowing.

Bubba:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Afgoo:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

jawnroot

May 7 -- Flowering Day 35

A small piece of wood I used to prop the filter broke from its support and fell on the Afgoo. Fortunately, it hit the smallest, most shaded branch. It was only hanging by a hair, and probably would have died, so I plucked it. Am going to air dry it and take a sample within the next few days.

Overall, the buds are swelling up more, and the pistils are starting to turn. Am going to snap some shots next week.

Anywho...here's a pic of the little branch that got felled this afternoon:

picture.php

jawnroot

Thanks for all the positive feedback. :yes:

May 15 -- Day 43 Flowering

Today they were upcanned into their final 3 gallon homes. In general, as a rule, I never upcan during flowering. That said, I'm using Microkoat and need to transition to an untreated pot during the last half of flowering (hence the late transplant).

No discernible shock or other issues, aside from some coco dust getting onto a few of the lower buds. Was able to blow most of it off; will get the rest when manicuring (assuming it's still there).

Plants were leaning a bit, so staked them up (stakes sunk into fresh soil, so roots not disturbed). Other than that, ran out of PBP bloom a few days ago, and had to give them a weak dose as a result. Grabbed some more, hit them with full strength today.

The Bubba's buds are looking straight up amazing. The pics really can't tell the story. Kind of a silvery-grey cast to them, and now all the calyx tips are turning purple. Some of the leaves as well. Smells awesome; that coffee/mocha/kush funk just keeps getting stronger. Am so looking forward to sampling some of this.

The Afgoo is lookin' proper as well. Bulking up, but even beyond that, the smell is driving me wild! Like pineapple with undertones of overripe fruit. It literally makes the mouth water...

That popcorn branch from last week ended up yielding +/- two small sessions worth...tasted a bit green (obviously) but got me blasted. Absolutely cannot wait for this harvest.

Here's a shot of them together in the casbah:

picture.php

Bubba:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Afgoo:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

IamNug

killer pics, way to grow jawnroot! a couple wonderful strains you have and they look very tasty! Thanks for sharing!

jawnroot

plants look like hell but the buds look ok except for the herming.....

:tumbleweed:

The plants did get deficient in week three...the subsequent week four shots show the resulting damage. In all fairness, these plants are guinea pigs of a sort. Haven't grown in years, so had to put the training wheels back on. And get the grow setup tweaked. And iron out a new fertilizer regime...

It's important to note, they're now in the twilight of their life, and will be turning color. The turning has happened a bit earlier than usual due to the prior deficiency, and the low PBP dose last week.

Here's an image of what a bubba should look like at 55 days (from user "flying")...by the way mine appear, I'd say they'll be about on par by the time they reach that age:

bubba55days.jpg

That aside, I'm not sure where you're getting herming from. :thinking: If it's the one pic of the bubba nug close up, that's just a small bud leaf with a yellowing tip, not a ruptured pollen sack...

...thanks for the feedback?

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
Congrats on getting back into the growing. :)

I'd like to share some thoughts.

Looks like heat issue with the ridges on the leaves curling up in one of the early pictures of flowering. The leaf tips curling down is traditionally a sign of a toxicity. The burning on the edges of the leaves looks like a toxicity, although it could be from pyretheum for example.

I'm not going to comment on your feeding regiment, as i'm in a rush and don't really have the time to figure out what the ratios are on the pbp, as I use H & G nowadays.

One tip. If it's hot. Your plants take up more water so you want to reduce the nutrient strength. If temps are good you can run a higher level of nutrients and since they're taking up less water. The amount they take up has the same total amount as the nutrient run at a lower strength with a higher temp. I hope that makes sense. I've not read that anywhere, but that's what it seems like to me.

I go easy on the nutes and then ramp up. First thing you'll usually notice is a N deficiency and it will show up in the lower leaves first. Then you can ramp it up until you start to see them get really dark green, then you back off a bit when you see the tips start to burn.

Best of Luck.

Work2much

I recently smoked some Afgooey that really suprised me. It was strong and made me wonder why I never hear much about it. I hope your's turns out as good, possibly better then the Bubba IMO.

Interesting idea using the elf filter on the intake. I just use that filter paper from HD over my intake holes and change it monthly.