What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

FIRE EXTINGUISHER: 101 (fyi)

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
How Fire Extinguishers Work

Fire needs fuel, oxygen and heat in order to burn. In simple terms, fire extinguishers remove one of these elements by applying an agent that either cools the burning fuel, or removes or displaces the surrounding oxygen.

Fire extinguishers are filled with water or a smothering material, such as CO2. By pulling out the safety pin and depressing the lever at the top of the cylinder (the body of the extinguisher), this material is released by high amounts of pressure.

At the top of the cylinder, there is a smaller cylinder filled with compressed gas. A release valve acts as a locking mechanism and prevents this gas from escaping. When you pull the safety pin and squeeze the lever, the lever pushes on an actuating rod which presses the valve down to open a passage to the nozzle. The compressed gas is released, applying a downward pressure on the fire-extinguishing material. This pushes the material out the nozzle with high amounts of pressure.

Although the temptation is to aim the extinguisher at the flames, the proper way to use the extinguisher is to aim it directly at the fuel.

Water Extinguishers

Water extinguishers are filled with regular tap water and pressurized with oxygen. The best way to remove heat is to dump water on the fire but, depending on the type of fire, this is not always the best option.

Dry Chemical Extinguishers

Dry chemical extinguishers are filled with either foam or powder, usually sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) or potassium bicarbonate, and pressurized with nitrogen. Baking soda is effective because it decomposes at 158 degrees Fahrenheit and releases carbon dioxide (which smothers oxygen) once it decomposes. Dry chemical extinguishers interrupt the chemical reaction of the fire by coating the fuel with a thin layer of powder or foam, separating the fuel from the surrounding oxygen.

Carbon Dioxide (CO2) extinguishers

CO2 extinguishers contain carbon dioxide, a non-flammable gas, and are highly pressurized. The pressure is so great that it is not uncommon for bits of dry ice to shoot out. CO2 is heavier than oxygen so these extinguishers work by displacing or taking away oxygen from the surrounding area. CO2 is also very cold so it also works by cooling the fuel.

Fire Extinguisher Types (What Kind do I use?)

With so many fire extinguishers to choose from, selecting the proper one for your home can be a daunting task. Everyone should have at least one fire extinguisher at home, but it's just as important to ensure you have the proper type of fire extinguisher. Fire protection experts recommend one for the kitchen, the garage and workshop.

Fire extinguishers are divided into four categories, based on different types of fires. Each fire extinguisher also has a numerical rating that serves as a guide for the amount of fire the extinguisher can handle. The higher the number, the more fire-fighting power. The following is a quick guide to help choose the right type of extinguisher.

* Class A extinguishers are for ordinary combustible materials such as paper, wood, cardboard, and most plastics. The numerical rating on these types of extinguishers indicates the amount of water it holds and the amount of fire it can extinguish.

* Class B fires involve flammable or combustible liquids such as gasoline, kerosene, grease and oil. The numerical rating for class B extinguishers indicates the approximate number of square feet of fire it can extinguish.

* Class C fires involve electrical equipment, such as appliances, wiring, circuit breakers and outlets. Never use water to extinguish class C fires - the risk of electrical shock is far too great! Class C extinguishers do not have a numerical rating. The C classification means the extinguishing agent is non-conductive.

* Class D fire extinguishers are commonly found in a chemical laboratory. They are for fires that involve combustible metals, such as magnesium, titanium, potassium and sodium. These types of extinguis

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
Use this acronym as a quick reference (P.A.S.S.)

Use this acronym as a quick reference (P.A.S.S.)

P.A.S.S.

Pull the Pin at the top of the extinguisher. The pin releases a locking mechanism and will allow you to discharge the extinguisher.

Aim at the base of the fire, not the flames. This is important - in order to put out the fire, you must extinguish the fuel.

Squeeze the lever slowly. This will release the extinguishing agent in the extinguisher. If the handle is released, the discharge will stop.

Sweep from side to side.
Using a sweeping motion, move the fire extinguisher back and forth until the fire is completely out.

Operate the extinguisher from a safe distance, several feet away, and then move towards the fire once it starts to diminish.

Be sure to read the instructions on your fire extinguisher - different fire extinguishers recommend operating them from different distances.

Remember: Aim at the base of the fire, not at the flames!!!!

Last edited:

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
All fires can be very dangerous and life-threatening.

All fires can be very dangerous and life-threatening.

Your safety should always be your primary concern when attempting to fight a fire.

Before deciding to fight a fire, be certain that:

* The fire is small and not spreading.
A fire can double in size within two or three minutes.

* You have the proper fire extinguisher for what is burning.

*Be positive the fire won't block your exit if you can't control it.
A good way to ensure this is to keep the exit at your back.

* You know your fire extinguisher works.
Inspect extinguishers once a month for dents, leaks or other signs of damage.

Assure the pressure is at the recommended level.

On extinguishers equipped with a gauge, the needle should be in the green zone - not too high and not too low.

* Every Grow Room/ Kitchen should have a fire extinguisher.

You should know how to use your fire extinguisher.

There will not enough time to read instructions when a fire occurs.

Location, location, location!
Having a fire extinguisher is one thing, having it handy in case of an emergency, is another.
Without a fire extinguisher, there really is not much chance of stopping a fire once it has begun.

Never Fight A Fire If:

*If the fire is spreading rapidly. Only use a fire extinguisher when the fire is in its early stages.
If the fire is already spreading quickly, evacuate and call the fire department.

*If You don't know what is burning.
Unless you know what is burning, you won't know what type of fire extinguisher to use.
Even if you have an ABC extinguisher, there could be something that will explode or produce highly toxic smoke.

*If You don't have the proper fire extinguisher.
The wrong type of extinguisher can be dangerous or life-threatening.

*If there is too much smoke or you are at risk of inhaling smoke. Seven out of ten fire-related deaths occur from breathing poisonous gases produced by the fire.

:)

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
If your clothing catches on fire...

If your clothing catches on fire...

STOP, DROP AND ROLL

If your clothes catch fire: stop, drop, roll.

* Stop running – moving around fans the flames and makes them burn faster

* Drop to the ground – this makes it harder for the flames to spread

* Roll around – move from one side to the other to smother the flames.

Use a heavy material to help smother the flames.
A blanket, a coat or, even better, a fire blanket will do the job.

Smothering stops oxygen from feeding the flames and helps to put out the fire.

Burns can be very serious injuries, seek medical help quickly.

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
Fire extinguisher maintenance

Fire extinguisher maintenance

is important for everyone’s safety.

You must ensure that:

* Fire ExtinguisherThe extinguisher is not blocked by equipment, coats or other objects that could interfere with access in an emergency.

* The pressure is at the recommended level. On extinguishers equipped with a gauge (such as that shown on the right), the needle should be in the green zone - not too high and not too low.

* The nozzle or other parts are not hindered in any way.

* The pin and tamper seal (if it has one) are intact.

* There are no dents, leaks, rust, chemical deposits and/or other signs of abuse/wear. Wipe off any corrosive chemicals, oil, gunk etc. that may have deposited on the extinguisher.

Some manufacturers recommend shaking your dry chemical extinguishers once a month to prevent the powder from settling/packing.

Fire extinguishers should be pressure tested (a process called hydrostatic testing) after a number of years to ensure that the cylinder is safe to use. Consult your owner's manual, extinguisher label or the manufacturer to see when yours may need such testing.

If the extinguisher is damaged or needs recharging, replace it immediately!

IMPORTANT: Recharge all extinguishers immediately after use regardless of how much they were used.

SMOKE ALARMS...DETECTORS (fyi)
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=252043

Last edited:

tokinsmokin

good information I.M. Boggled, Definitely an important part of a grow in my opinion. I never hear anyone talk about this either, which is just insanity. Its a quick fix to a serious problem.

DeadlyFoez

All this great info that you come up with should be stickied for common acknowledgment for people who dont know this stuff.

AlexTrebek

Nice posts about fireproofing, Sadly the fact is that many use ventilation 24h and / or on a temperature gauge. For this reason I believe sealed rooms are safer from non-electricly ignited fires. OSB and Drywall as fire-resistant walls is a golden nugget of advice. Nice post from 2006 although I believe I needs to be refreshed.

Vandenberg

It's been awhile since I checked my fire extinguishers

It's been awhile since I checked my fire extinguishers

I think I'll do it now :)
Bumping this antique thread.

Vandenberg :)

Vandenberg

Damn, Time to check them again, doesn't this vicious cycle never end...
I just checked them two years ago ;-)

Be safe and happy harvests! :)

Three Berries

The dry chem ones will make a mess.

Be sure to put high temp limit of around 150F or so on your exhaust fans so it doesn't feed the fire if there is one.