What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

making cannabutter.. what's your ratio?

Telepod

I'm curious, what is your formula or rule of thumb for getting the right ratio of cannabis to butter? Preferably in grams of herb to pounds (or sticks) of butter... Anyone?

Thanks for your replies!
:D

Telepod

fuaryone

I used...

I used...

Like 1.5 oz to 2.5 cups water and 2 .25 sticks of butter... and I got a good stick and and hlf back... 2 small doses I tryed and then the rest in me Oatmeal... its not bad... seems to help pain somewhat... 1st time... probably my effort needs refining... LOL... :p ... peace.

I like 7-10 grams of flower to one stick (half a cup) of butter.

I use a double boiler, and constantly stir the mixture (pressing the flowers into the butter pretty hard with a spoon) for 45 minutes. Then I strain out the solids (which I lump on to wax paper and stick in the freezer for my canine friends to nibble on - they love a little bite here or there, but don't give them too much - it'll make em puke). After straining I'm left with what looks like green butter, and I use it in many recipes that call for oil. My favorite so far has been Betty Crocker Peanut Butter Cookies . . . the flavors were very compatible!

Nothin says lovin like somethin green in the oven!
:D Freeda Green

Tropical

When I use top shelf, home grown buds, I just grind it up and throw it in a batch of cookie batter. I like to have about .25 grams of buds per cookie. That means that I put 7grams in the batter and make 28 cookies. I mix my batter very thoroughly and I weigh my batter and weigh every cookie as I form the batter into cookies. That keeps the dose uniform.

Start with half a cookie and wait at least three hours before you decide that it wasn't potent enough and eat another half. It can take more than an hour before you feel any effect at all and three or four hours to feel the peak effect. Sometimes you'll feel it sooner, but you can't count on it. The high can easily last six hours. If you eat too much, you'll still be high 12 hours later. I've heard lots of stories of people who bake cookies on Sunday afternoon and are still high for work on Monday.

When I have lower potency material like fan leaves and schwag, I boil them in butter and water first. That washes out most of the nasty taste and it allows me to strain out the excess plant fiber. The Cannabutter from males, fan leaves, and schwag can be just as potent and tasty as the Cannabutter made from the best buds, but it will be more work.

radioman

so the way to make butter is to cook the ground pot in clarified buter and then strain the weed out and just use the butter? just asking because i'm thinking of making some brownies or cookies with bud shake that is building up. last time i used regular shake and didn't remove the weed from the butter. i didn't like eating the weed too much and it messed up my stomach.

Cannabis Budder

Cannabis Budder

2638DSC01029-thumb.JPG

Were Medical and and out of control :D
Our recipe , we use 6 oz. of budshake to 1 lb. butter,
weeeee:D
If budzzzzz's we use 3-4 oz to a pound of butter.
Far FRiggin Out - Totally Bitchin !!!
Trip Out !!!
There's also a GREAT book out there by the late Tom Flowers :)
Great recipes there for the newbie in the kitchen or those that what the advance basics of cannabis cooking and preping for goodies.
Peace,
LB.
JAH RASTAFARI :D

Tropical

radioman said:
so the way to make butter is to cook the ground pot in clarified buter and then strain the weed out and just use the butter? just asking because i'm thinking of making some brownies or cookies with bud shake that is building up. last time i used regular shake and didn't remove the weed from the butter. i didn't like eating the weed too much and it messed up my stomach.

When I make Cannabutter, I strain out the leaves with cheesecloth. Then, I let the liquid cool so that the butter rises to the top and hardens so I can skim it off. Most of the nasty taste ends up in the water, but the THC end up in the butter.

Kryptonite

The last time I made butter I used this for a guide and added a lil bit more weed for a extra kick. I hope it's ok to post this link here if not sorry. Be warned this stuff will kick your ass. People lost 10-12 hours on this stuff went I took it to the country fair this year.
http://www.letfreedomgrow.com/recipes/blackout_bud_butter.htm

Thank You!

It's been a few years since I made cannabutter and I couldn't remember the particulars.
I trust this recipe written by our old Friend Dr. Jay R. Cavanaugh, PhD.
May he RIP.
The World still misses you and appreciates what you have done for us Jay.

PuReKnOwLeDgE

Licensed Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
we use 10 ounces of wet trim per pound of butter, so about 2 ounces of dry. We went over that once and it was like eating mushrooms, to strong lol....

T

Tr33

125grams sugar trim, and popcorn nugs to 1lb non salted butter. Boilded with water, and then decarboxylized for 90min @ 250F after separating the butter from trim and water.

Snype

Veteran
My newest butter that I've been making lately, I've been using 4 ounces of dried trim to 1 pound of butter. I boil it on low for 3 hours and then strain it through a cheese cloth. When I make brownies with the butter, I use a 13 inch x 9 inch pan and I add 112 grams of butter. 1 cut one pan into 24 brownies and they are very potent. Eating 1 - 2 of my brownies makes you trip for over 12 hours. I'm making 3 pounds of butter today with Snypette which should be a fun day!

W

W.P.

Wow then i guess 3-4 # sugar leaf to 4 lb# butter is a little strong.....:dance013:

Brownies , chocolate chip cookies, and my favorite BB Canna muffins!

Time to go put on the baking hat.

~ "That will keep you going for the show"

m4n

First time i made butter was last weekend...
I used a pound of trim i ran through the bubble bags twice with 1.5 oz of shake and 1 oz of popcorn buds and mixed it with 2 lbs of butter (8sticks) and 4 cups of water got back prolly 5 sticks. Method i used was crock pot 250 for the first hour with the trim then i added the blended shake and buds and set it on low 185 degrees for 11 hours stirring every hour. Made a batch of chocolate chip cookies...ate a tablespoon of raw cookie dough and half a cookie just to taste the quality...Its the highest i ever been,was high for about a good 5 hours before starting to come down.

Snype

Veteran
Here is some butter that we made with more than 12 ounces of dried trim and 12 sticks of butter. With 1 stick of butter for 24 small brownies, you trip for over 12 hours.

Last edited:

GrassRoots

I use about 60 grams of dry trim for 3 sticks of butter. I do the boiling water method for 3 to 4 hours and strain through cheescloth. When all is said and done I'm usually left with 2 sticks worth and I end up making about 60 cookies from it. I can get "just high" off of one and I can fly to the moon (or my couch for a day long nap) with 4.

Tropical

I see a lot of people here boil their butter for hours. I used to do it that way too, but then I tried 30 minutes and I don't notice any difference. I have been boiling for only 30 minutes ever since. I plan to try 15 minutes to see if that is just as good.

The main problem with the extra long cooking time is that it keeps the house stinky longer. Make no mistake, this stuff is very stinky. That means keeping the windows open for a long time and no air conditioning. That can be a problem in the summer.