What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

VerdantGreen's quarters - 205w LED Organic Mod. ScrOG

Blimey

Take A Deep Breath
Veteran
I find the difference in plant size between small (circa 1.5 litre) and big pots (4 litres) is unbelievable....especially with strains containing a good dose of Total Sativa.....like the PB.

And you only suck at SOG because your plants grow too well. Not the worst problem to have hehehe.

Does the Chunk always finish this fast? Sub-50 is sweet, even from clone.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Herodias - wow thanks :)

Blimey - yeah the PB is a stretcher for sure and i repotted before they had finished stretching. you are right about the big pots, but on the other side of the coin i think the reason why my plants look so happy most of the time is that they are never rootbound. possibly a bit wasteful on soil sometimes but if the roots have plenty of space in a decent soil throughout flower, then the plants are usually happy. im going to try some DC sogs - should be easier but i will have to trim some leaves in order to fit 4 in a square foot. i need to do some pheno hunting though on the DC and i have plenty of seeds.

cheers

VG

redspaghetti

love machine
ICMag Donor
Veteran
beautiful update v, you're one of my fav grower, you maximize your spaces, lights, plants ... well every thing lol

:respect: :respect:

ps. hope u get rid of that mites problem m8,

cheers,
red.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks red - the mites arent a problem anymore, pretty much eliminated. the DC scrog came down today and i couldnt see any mites on it - this was the last plant in there when there was a problem so hopefully ive broken the cycle - difficult in a perpetual grow.

DC was replaced with a Sharksbreath - more pics later but here is the DC
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
here is this weeks update for the rest of the plants

Kentish creme - here is KC1 at 33 days - its too tall to get a decent pic in my loft :D
picture.php

nug - getting frosty already, very promising...
picture.php

KC2 is shaping up too
picture.php

and the power black sog turned scrog. i guess this is 2-3 weeks - looks happy
picture.php

the DC was replaced by a sharksbreath that i may have over vegged a little :D
picture.php

yikes!
picture.php

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks H&L!

sharksbreath looked much better today - its hardly worth worrying about till the leaves etc have turned round to face the light - thought i'd bitten off more than i could chew for a moment there (pun intended), i guess i will have to wait till it's stopped stretching to know for sure...

cheers

VG

BORNaSMOKER

Hey VG. Is that all the DC on that paper? Looks a little sparse doesn't it?? That SB is going to be a monster!

Just thought I'd let you know, your mix is doing me wonders! Healthiest organics I've done yet. I wish I had a camera worth snapping them with. I'm about to let a whole load of new beans loose (10 x BogBubble, 10 x SSSDHxG13, 5 x Blueberry) - hopefully I'll have a decent camera by the time they are ready to go!

MeanBean

Hey V just stopping by!! Well I am gearing up for another grow journal. I am really changing the setup and I got a new strain "NY Red Diesel" See ya around maaaan!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey BaS - nice to hear my soil mix is serving you well, that mix and some nice big pots is that basis of my success too i think.
the Deep Chunk is a very low yielder and im very happy with the amount of buds i got from the scrog. last time i ran it i had 4 plants taking up half my cab and tbh i probably didnt get much more than an ounce from all of them put together. its a hashplant and you basically get a top bud and a few sidebuds when grown normally. it doesnt really branch at all and has the biggest leaves ever, so each plant can take up a square foot and yield bugger all. the small yield is made up for by some seriously old school headstash that is a pleasure to smoke though. its what i reach for the most and i have a LOT to choose from ;)
the SB is a different story as you say, its shaping up ok too.

hey MB cant wait to see what you've got cooking for your new grow :)

i just sent for some UV T5 tubes to try and stimulate more potent smoke/resin production - having said that the Kentish Creme is already looking like the most resinous strain ive seen :D

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
dusted up the Power Black's with pollen today so we should have some f2 seeds somewhere down the line. slight cock-up with the male branches i was keeping in water - 2 of the 3 died due to neglect, so this was a 1 male to 4 female pollination. the short male that was my favorite didnt make it but the one that lived is defo a survivor.

i also have a herijuana male that i am going to try and use to make seeds with the Kentish creme ( gonna call the cross Kentish Brown :D )
hoping that the other heri i have is a girl and it should make an appearance sometime...

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey all - update time :tiphat:

first the sharksbreath which has been wrestled into a decent looking canopy - what a difference a week makes!
im also testing out a home made concentrated comfrey liquid fertilizer on this SB. starting at 30ml/litre. SB can take a lot of nutes. this idea was inspired by some of Jaykush's posts and he should be posting a thread about growing your own fertilizer soon at the organics forum.
picture.php

here it was a week ago after the screen was fitted
picture.php

and the Kentish Creme these are at 40 days and go 60-70
KC1. the buds are 8-10 inches above the screen. this is a stretchy strain!
picture.php

picture.php

KC2 - this one is a bit of a mess, one bud was a lot taller so i bent it over a few days ago. i generally try to avoid training in mid flower but needs must sometimes.
picture.php

lastly the PB. not easy to get these out of the cab but they are coming along fine. 40 days since they were flipped for sexing, probably more like 30 days flower.
picture.php

cheers :tiphat:

VG

maree

Hi Verdant - any early observations with the swap to UVB lamps? Wonder if they'll affect growth or potency in accordance with mj legend? Be good to have your take on it when it's all done.

Kinda a pity you had to abort the green tubes - it was a brave move in the first place though!

A couple of decades ago, we used tried several different combinations of aquria lights (we found they were the ones we could most easily get spd's and other info for) for seedlings, cutting and early vegging. Only on small scales and collecting observations rather than any proper testing. My feeling as a hobbyist, not necessarilly after maximum growth rates, more interested in producing something decent and enjoying the pass-time, was that, while I wanted my plants to have plenty of light in the 400's and 600's nm, it wasn't only providing for photosynthesis that I saw as important.

There seem to be varied successful ways to grow plants (especially on a small scale I thnk). We were working with artificial environments, that's true, but the way a grower manipulates that environment is as much due to their outlook (and their abilty to create the conditions they want) as to anything else. Two growers, both after maximum yields, will use differing methods.

So - as long as someone's got the basics, it's very rarely a question of black and white right or wrong. My own attitude is that the biology of plants evloved in a much more complex environment than we will ever provide for them and that some of their systems will probably depend on interactions with light at wavelengths that we're not used to thinking of as useful to us as growers. Maybe not photosynthesis (although even here, all visible wavelenghts of light contribute, or can do so, to a greater or lesser degree) but I'd be surprised if it turns out that plants only take environmental queues from red and blue light. Or that they don't need other wavelengths in order to develop their full genetic potential. I don't know this to be true but in my somewhat limited experience, it has been.

That doesn't mean that someone wanting to grow quality material in good quantity can't do so without providing lighting across the visible spectrum - many people on here do very well at it.

It's taken a long time to get there but here we are:

if you've got that vibe going on man, where you know, you wanna give them that complete, real organic stuff, tend them and care of them and feel cool about the end result of your labour, when you've completed your UVB testing you might consider looking at broader spectrum tubes and see what they do to keep your babies happy.

best wishes,

little miss windbag.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi marie :tiphat: nice post, i need to read it again when im not high on lemon thai, which is curing up to be some very clear headed but potent sativa. grapefruit citrus smell too. big up bhodi !

i still have one green tube in the cab. atm i have a UV tube on one side next to the 2 Kentish Creme, which tbh already very frosty with huge resin glands as the pic shows. the other side has the sharksbreath and power blacks with a green tube. my green light journey has only just begun - just you wait and see m'lady ;)

i also love trying different lights. over the last couple of years ive tried hps, mh, and cmh too, but not for long enough in this cab to make much more than preliminary observations. its based on my unscientific belief that outdoor weed thats had plenty of sun has an extra dimension to the high over weed grown under hps. i want to try a mixed spectrum hid at some point when it gets cold here.

cheers

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hiya!

here's your update. things rolling along nicely, older kid has just gone on holiday for a week so i get some extra time with the plants :dance013: (will miss him though :comfort:)

here is the Kentish Creme at 7 weeks, KC1.
picture.php

and a nug. very frosty. hopefully the UV tube is helping but as mentioned before this is a frosty strain with huge trics. smells odd - it has been described as 'church hall' and i can now see why :D
picture.php

KC2
picture.php

power black (under the LED) at about 6 weeks
picture.php

and finally the sharksbreath at 16days shaped up nicely.
picture.php

cheers

VG

p.s. look out for my new grow in the 'micro grow section (just about to post it up if i can get the f'in photos uploaded ok)

sx646522

Hey mate! Been awhile! :)

Looks like you've had a couple runs with the new equipment since I've been here last. Things are looking good in the VG camp I see. One of these days we'll get you converted to a proper hydro ScrOG and things'll really take off. :dance013:

Keep it nice and tight! (insert joke here) Off for a pint of Nelson...

Cheers,

-SX

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey sx - good to see you mate :) - as for the hydro, ill be sticking to organic dirt for a while i think - but if you got ant pics that will change my mind then you go ahead and show me :D

red! - thanks - i have to say i think the KC's look a bit of a mess, especially KC2 - but im looking forward to the smoke test.

just dusted the Kentish Creme up with some herijuana pollen - Kentish Brown :D
i only did the KC1 as the KC2 has some serious brittle branch issues that are no good to me at all. gonna cross the heri with the sharksbreath cut too - two heavy hitters collide ;)
i have a female heri that will see the light of day soon as well. just need some room for her somewhere.....

VG

hazy

Veteran
Herijuana x your KC? Think the H will improve it, at least the branch strength thing anyway?

I have a Bluberry male with a bag over the top and the rest of the sacs picked off right now. I'll be dusting a few nugs here and there on my clone only strains. Maybe a little Blue Cindy?
Take care.
later.

oldbootz

Veteran
nice stuff VG, loving the look of the KC. so frosty ! the power black in the one pic says 6 weeks? is that 6 weeks into flowering? looks quite early still.

take it easy
OB