What's new

Great vibratory sieve

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wowza! This sure works good!

I saw a picture of a vibrating sieve system called a Resin Reaper, which impressive claims were being made for, but decided to forgo the $450 price tag and throw something together out of available parts to check out the concept. In short, it works damn good!

Here are some pictures of the prototype, using a palm sander for the vibrator.

I tossed in a hand full of sugar leaf and ran it exactly 3 minutes to produce the pile of kief shown. I used a 130 micron stainless screen and microscopic exam shows it is primarily collecting mature heads.

Five of us sampled the kief and all declared it primo.

Here is what we did:

Attachments

• Vibratory siever-1.jpg
    Vibratory siever-1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Vibratory sieve-2.jpg
    Vibratory sieve-2.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Vibratory siever-3.jpg
    Vibratory siever-3.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 13
Hey Gray this is a brilliant idea.. wish I'd thought of it myself.
Looks like you've got some mmtop quality kief there, I am jealous, 9 weeks away from next harvest .. i can only dream :(

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Gray this is a brilliant idea.. wish I'd thought of it myself.
Looks like you've got some mmtop quality kief there, I am jealous, 9 weeks away from next harvest .. i can only dream :(

Wish I had thought of it myself too, but I try to console myself in at least paying attention to other's brilliance.

My hats off to the original epiphany (brain fart) as well. No doubt conceived while heavily medicated. It looks like it may use a sonic motor instead of a palm sander, and is prettier to look at.

GW

ZEROorDIE

you weld that frame up yourself? thats some quality craftmanship you got there

you should set up a multi screen system with that thing i bet youd get some killer results

bloyd

Veteran
Nice going gray wolf, I have always thought about some vibratory separation but have yet to try it. My thought was getting one of those massage mats you can set on a seat and laying it flat on the floor with a piece of glass over it and a multi screen sieve on top dropping the pure on the glass. Don't know if it would work but it would be a cheap experiment given the fact that the mats are easy to come by second hand and glass and sieves can be had pretty cheap as well. I always wondered if sam used a vibrating bed by chance for his 99% pure dry sift given that he said he first developed the method in a hotel room:thinking::thinking:I admire the scientific and inquisitive mind you seem to have grey wolf, I would love to be a part of your test panel hehe.

Bumble Buddy

Wow, the Gray Wolf parade of Really Kool Stuff continues... holy crap that is a nice frame! :biglaugh: :yes: I'm trying to figure out how to fabricate one out of wood- was thinking of incorporating a DIY window screen kit with spine..

Hey GW did you ever try setting up a cylinder or cone with dry sift on the shaker to see if the material would stratify?

Do you think the 130 micron mesh is large enough to allow all the trichomes through?- I was thinking of using a 152 micron for my initial screen...

Check out these industrial dry separation gyratory screeners from Rotex: http://www.rotex.com/Default.aspx, there is an impressive movie of it in action here: http://www.rotex.com/01products/apex.aspx
Screener models can range from one to five screen surfaces, for separations with openings from 1/2" to 325 mesh.
There is a try with balls in it that help the vibration, the sifted materials fall through a grate on the bottom of the ball compartment; also, they have an ultrasonic vibration addon: http://www.rotex.com/01products/ultrasonex.aspx Also, they have an interesting system of tensioning their screens: http://www.rotex.com/01products/popups/autotension.html looks like they sew strips of eyelet material on the screen. Some of the sifters are enormous, could probably sift enough for all of ICMag with one of the big jobbies :bongsmi: :biglaugh:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great machine! is it possible to place it into a freezer?

Yes and it would quieten it down some. Good idea!

Although the first run was at ambient temperature, because we couldn't stand to wait, I have my next run of material in the freezer as we speak.

We are adding rubber wipers along the side of the lexan plate, to prevent particles from flying out and then I'll do a formal trial run.

GW

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I like the frame, did you make it?

Thanks, it is 1 1/2" 14 ga 304 SS square tubing and it was a team effort. Roger was the welder using TIG, .045 wire, and argon shielding.

GW

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice going gray wolf, I have always thought about some vibratory separation but have yet to try it. My thought was getting one of those massage mats you can set on a seat and laying it flat on the floor with a piece of glass over it and a multi screen sieve on top dropping the pure on the glass. Don't know if it would work but it would be a cheap experiment given the fact that the mats are easy to come by second hand and glass and sieves can be had pretty cheap as well. I always wondered if sam used a vibrating bed by chance for his 99% pure dry sift given that he said he first developed the method in a hotel room:thinking::thinking:I admire the scientific and inquisitive mind you seem to have grey wolf, I would love to be a part of your test panel hehe.

Only Sam knows, but a magic finger bed certainly might get the creative juices flowing.

Thanks for the kind thoughts!

Panel testing volunteer seems to be a popular job here locally, but we can always use more volunteers and different qualifying symptoms, if you have an OMMP card and live around Portland.

GW

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow, the Gray Wolf parade of Really Kool Stuff continues... holy crap that is a nice frame! :biglaugh: :yes: I'm trying to figure out how to fabricate one out of wood- was thinking of incorporating a DIY window screen kit with spine..

Hey GW did you ever try setting up a cylinder or cone with dry sift on the shaker to see if the material would stratify?

Do you think the 130 micron mesh is large enough to allow all the trichomes through?- I was thinking of using a 152 micron for my initial screen...

Check out these industrial dry separation gyratory screeners from Rotex: http://www.rotex.com/Default.aspx, there is an impressive movie of it in action here: http://www.rotex.com/01products/apex.aspx There is a try with balls in it that help the vibration, the sifted materials fall through a grate on the bottom of the ball compartment; also, they have an ultrasonic vibration addon: http://www.rotex.com/01products/ultrasonex.aspx Also, they have an interesting system of tensioning their screens: http://www.rotex.com/01products/popups/autotension.html looks like they sew strips of eyelet material on the screen. Some of the sifters are enormous, could probably sift enough for all of ICMag with one of the big jobbies :bongsmi: :biglaugh:

I used the 130 micron screen because that was what I had lying around, but it seems to work pretty well for capturing the Sativa dominant strains.

Interesting equipment. Thanks!

The original Resin Reaper design appeared to use a sonic motor, but we just happen to have a palm sander sitting around with a defective pad and it works impressively well.

I do have a more robust amplifier and have scored a couple 12" magnum sub woofers and plan to use one in place of the sander, in conjunction with a signal generator.

The results from the 10" woofer experiments I posted earlier were interesting enough to pursue further, and the parts finally arrived.

GW

C

Chamba

Good one Grey Wolf!

Is the sander attached to a sheet of glass that sits on the plant material and mesh? and the glass and weight of the sander squashes the plant material? If that's the case why not simply vibrate the screen frame or vibrate the base of the frame/catching plate? (or have you tried that and the plant material pools, rolls and dances on the mesh?) Considered mounting heavy duty springs on the base of the frame? (or mounting rubber feet to cut down noise)

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good one Grey Wolf!

Is the sander attached to a sheet of glass that sits on the plant material and mesh? and the glass and weight of the sander squashes the plant material? If that's the case why not simply vibrate the screen frame or vibrate the base of the frame/catching plate? (or have you tried that and the plant material pools, rolls and dances on the mesh?) Considered mounting heavy duty springs on the base of the frame? (or mounting rubber feet to cut down noise)

Thanks for the good words!

Yes, the sander is attached to the Lexan sheet with four screws and it rests on the plant material.

So far my experiments vibrating the frames hasn't produced anywhere near the speed and volume this unit does. I'm still playing with those too, but this thing impressed me.

The unit gets rubber feet, but we got excited and ran without them. As you might imagine, it buzzed pretty good sitting in a cookie sheet.

I have considered springs on other designs, but with rubber feet, I believe most of the noise from this unit will be coming from the sander and the Lexan plate rattling inside the frame.

If that turns out not to be the case I will revisit the springs.

GW

O

o.sparkles

Great looking unit, a work of art!

I can't help wondering if an orbital motor would work better at chopping the trichomes off. You know...more circular...?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great looking unit, a work of art!

I can't help wondering if an orbital motor would work better at chopping the trichomes off. You know...more circular...?

It certainly might work better than a palm sander, though the sander works impressively well.

My next prototype will use a speaker driver and a signal generator, which my previous accoustical sieving experiments suggest should be fruitful.

GW

O

o.sparkles

It certainly might work better than a palm sander, though the sander works impressively well.

My next prototype will use a speaker driver and a signal generator, which my previous accoustical sieving experiments suggest should be fruitful.

GW
That is too awesome for words. Now I know you will just be sending an LFO signal to the driver but how cool would it be to say "this is a chunk of AC/DC hash, this is some Tchaikovsky sift..."?

NotaProfessor

Very nice setup, GW. There's an elegance to the simplicity of the design. Props to the welder on the nice unit (for tinkering it's awesome to have SS. I bet he can do it all to a 3B finish if given the chance.)

I look forward to your report about how the wipers worked.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Very nice setup, GW. There's an elegance to the simplicity of the design. Props to the welder on the nice unit (for tinkering it's awesome to have SS. I bet he can do it all to a 3B finish if given the chance.)

I look forward to your report about how the wipers worked.

Thanks! I'll pass on your kudos to Roger.

A commentary on getting old and the value of friends. I held GTAW, GMAW, and SMAW welder certifications before retirement, but can't see well enough with my cataracts to keep my tungsten out of the puddle anymore, so retired Roger's enthusiasm and talents are a delight.

The stainless came from a local scrap yard and was relatively cheap.

Roger likes to polish things and no doubt could do about any finish we asked for. I didn't ask for the polish; he did it just because he wanted to.

GW