What's new

Trap Plants and Video Class

This is some really good info a friend of mine compiled. hope it helps some of you. :)

Using Trap Plants For Pest Control
by. OGF member POTential

Sometimes it's wise to use trap plants to control pest problems. for example, if you encounter a pest during flowering and it's no longer safe to use pesticide sprays on your cannabis plants, a trap plant that the pest prefers to cannabis can be placed in close proximity to the flowering cannabis to attract the pest.

there are 3 different modes of action you can make use of. first, some plants catch bugs - carnivorous plants; second, you can treat the trap plants with insecticides so that visitors die; third, you can regularly dispose of trap plants.

you should always start your own trap plants from seed or cutting so that you don't introduce pests from nursery plants. here are some options for trap plants:

for flying pests like fungus gnats & winged root aphids, the drosera capensis, aka cape sundew. this plant is easily propagated from stem cuttings. buy one from a nursery, make it into a lot of plants, put them all over the room. don't fertilize these plants - only water them. look up cook's carnivorous plants here in oregon, near eugene. you can also get seeds.
picture.php

picture.php

spider mites prefer hibiscus to cannabis. treat the hibiscus with avid/floramite/shuttle/forbid and place it into direct contact with an infested plant so that the mites can migrate. there are a lot of different types of hibiscus, and i have no clue which are most attractive to mites. i picked hibiscus radiatus because its foliage looks similar to cannabis.
picture.php

thrips like clover more than cannabis. treat the clover with avid or conserveSC (spinosad). clover seed is readily available, inexpensive, sprouts and grows quickly.
picture.php

aphids love nasturtiums. there's one pesticide in particular that is extremely effective against aphids: imidacloprid. we can't use it on cannabis because it's fully systemic and long lasting, so a cannabis plant treated at any stage of life is likely to have residue in the flowers at harvest. that's not safe to ingest or inhale. but we can use it on nasturtiums (as long as you're not planning to eat the nasturtium leaves or flowers - they're edible, taste kind of peppery). use the imidacloprid as a soil drench, and it will translocate through the plant and kill any aphid that sucks sap. use a trailing variety of nasurtium, and lay the vines across the cannabis plant's soil surface and near any drain holes.
picture.php

fungus gnats prefer wheatgrass to cannabis. if you like wheatgrass juice, you can grow the wheatgrass up to harvest size, cut it, and git rid of the rootmass, along with the gnat larvae. you can also treat the rootzone with gnatrol with every watering and use sticky traps. the grass will still be safe to consume, and you won't have to get rid of the rootmass. you can just continue to cut the grass as needed.
picture.php

Here is a link to a Video made by OGF member Seabear. Staring OGF member POTential
Big 6 Pests and Pathogens: http://vimeo.com/9776009

http://www.oregongreenfree.net/

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
It is awesome, long too but a metric ass ton of good information, thank you for posting this CF

///EDIT/// This needs to be stickied

Maj- I guess i should put a disclaimer that the vid is almost an hour long. oh well. i found it to be well worth an hour. :) Those guys did a bang up job.

C

cork144

thats a brilliant idea, im sure that can solve alot of people alot of problems,

appart from those who litterally couldnt fit another plant into their tents lol,

i love the info & idea. i see your point & it is valid. i would, personally, however; pass on this method. i would possibly have the actual Venus Fly trap carnivorous types around my babies, if space permits. but, i am just so hesitant & i guess, cynical too; about having other plants close to my babies to specifically attract pests & i do not want in the entire area, especially right next to my plants. i understand that if the gnats are going to be there no moatter what, that it would be better to provide them a more appetizing food source. but, that is only if there is no other way on earth to get rid of them. i would focus on removing the gnats or controlling the gnats, rather than attracting them. i assume that your thread involves the prior, though. or, are you suggesting to add wheatgrass even before the gnats come?? i do not think i could ever sleep at night if i did that....

mananuskan- well of course you dont want to attract pests. these techniques are for cats who, already have them in flower, and dont have the option of applying pesticides on the flowers... I might watch the video.. it is all explained very well. :)

Latest posts

Latest posts