What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Whats in a swollen Calyx? Ovaries? Pistil feeds down into a ball?Is that a Gland?

mtn121

If you remove a swollen calyx from a flower on your plant and cut it open the pistil hairs feed down it to a little ball. Its very small is this the ovary of the flower or is it some kind of gland? When I googled for pictures of the female flower it showed the pistils going down into a ovary. Just curious what it is I am just trying to learn about the plant more. Has anyone or will anyone cut a calyx open and confirm what I am saying. Its just kinda weird I know there has to be something inside there to swell up to make the calyx swell. Just curious and wanna confirm what it is. Thanks.

L

lysol

When I ground up premature bud samples I noticed it.

On another note, when you grind up your samples they dry like overnight. Pretty handy.

For lack of a better term, I'd just call it the calyx. lol

(just posting there here to be helpful, not trying to offend anyone by saying they don't know basic terms)

When_To_Harvest.jpg

Personally you can take anything and slice & dice it. Man will never understand. Yesterday we discovered 90% more universe. Meanwhile we're splitting atoms and finding smaller and smaller stuff. At some point you have to draw the line at how far we will keep going smaller & smaller. I'd say its just a calyx. No need for a special term for it's "components" ;-)

mtn121

Just wanted to make sure that's what it was. Have parnoia of seeds for second but upon further inspection I was sure it wasn't a seed. Just wanted to double check and back up my thought. I am always trying to learn more about the plant and how it lives that's all. Thanks makes me feel better. The ones on some of the flowers that don't get as much light and the flower isn't dense can just look kind of funny when they are swelling up sometimes. Thanks

Just wanted to make sure that's what it was. Have parnoia of seeds for second but upon further inspection I was sure it wasn't a seed. Just wanted to double check and back up my thought. I am always trying to learn more about the plant and how it lives that's all. Thanks makes me feel better. The ones on some of the flowers that don't get as much light and the flower isn't dense can just look kind of funny when they are swelling up sometimes. Thanks

That is an unfertilized/undeveloped seed. Until fertilized it is benign...and will not do anything.

Last edited:

mtn121

Mile Hi Dave- That's kinda what I was thinking just wanted to make sure. Had a banana or to got em early figured that me be sterile at this point anyway. Nanners make me parnoid. Thanks

G

Guywithoutajeep

Maybe it's the ovule. I think the ovary houses the ovule. I did plant dissections under a stereoscope in a lab once, but I was barely paying attention. My money is on ovule.

rooted

mtn you are correct

the calyx houses the ovule, the pistil catches pollen for it

not sure if ovary refers to only human eggs?

swollen calyxes don't necessarily indicate a fertilized egg, some strains have more pronounced swelling in late flower, IME usually caused by a new calyx pushing it's way through

Latest posts

Latest posts