What's new

Need Help my DWC will be without power for 8 hours

As the title says I am going to be without power for 8 hours next week. I run a DWC set up and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for keeping my plants alive. I would rather not use a generator because this might raise suspicions. Are there other ways to keep the air pumps running?

MeanBean

They should be ok for 8 hours, if you don't have allot of plants just stir the water in the buckets enough to aerate the water a bit..

MeanBean

O yeah I did just see them on ebay! I went with a tera 60, Hoping that will run my 4 - 5Gallon buckets a bit nicer than the one I got..

samba

8 hours should be fine, even 12 hour. That happened to me ones, nothing happened to the plans.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Samba for the win. I've gone through a number of blackouts in the 10-13 hour area.

A

ak-51

The last run I did I had 4 individual DWC buckets running together, all plants were about equally mature. After one nutrient change I forgot to plug the air back into one of the buckets. After about 4 days I started to notice something wrong with that plant, on day 5 or 6 I investigated and subsequently discovered my critical fuck-up (ignoring the problem for 1 or 2 days was fuck-up part 2).

The roots were all slimy, dark and stinky. It seemed at the time like the plant had been severely stunted; while the other 3 had excelled during that time period this one stayed about the same. I flushed water through the netpot, rinsed off the roots really well, and changed the nutrients for that bucket.

Despite all of this the plant actually managed to finish on par with the other 3, it even did better than 2 and was about the same as the remaining one. Moral of the story is that you'll be fine. I wouldn't sweat a single bead about that.

As a side-note: Although I'm not sure to what degree, I have to believe that the plants maturity and size have something to do with how well they can deal with declining levels of dissolved oxygen. My problem took place during weeks 3-4 of flowering, with those plants having approximately 60 days of veg prior to that. The root balls already looked pretty crappy, like big matted wads of angel hair pasta covered in soy sauce; if those roots were compared to celebrities hair, they would be less like beyonce and more like bob marley.

C

Classyathome

Your plants won't even notice 8 hours...

No need to worry - they'll be fine...

KUSHEATER1

all I run is dwc and you can go a day or two with no worries,power out so lights out so heat won't be a factor your good