What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pollination tricks and saving pollen

vicious bee

Someone was asking about pollination and here's some tricks that seem to work for me.
1st here's some males that are crowded together with pollen catchers at their bases. The pollen catchers are made of wax paper, drinking straws with the accordion type bending on one end, a small clothes line type clip, and clear packing tape to tape the whole mess together.
picture.php

I first use a mirror and bending the plants over the mirror shake them. Collecting the pollen on the mirror.
picture.php

Below you see pollen and flowers collected in the pollen catcher and the little clip that holds up one side.
picture.php

I unclip one side and use a small artist brush to brush all the flowers off the wax paper onto the mirror which is held below.
picture.php

This shows it with the mirror placed below the wax paper.
picture.php

Here's the back of the pollen catcher. It has 5 straws. Two in front and two in back. I'll get to the fifth in a moment. Notice the wax paper is at an angle tilted to the front so that the pollen falls out when you need it to.
picture.php

Here's the fifth straw. It's in between the front two straws but offset to one side. It holds up the clip. Without it the wax paper sags and will not catch your pollen.
picture.php

Next picture is the fifth straw with the clip. See how it holds up the clip?
picture.php

Now all the pollen is shaken off the plants and the catcher cleaned of pollen and flowers. Scrap it all in a pile. The flowers and pollen are all mixed up on the mirror.
picture.php

You have to separate the pollen from the flowers. I use a 200 mesh piece of stainless steel screen that I bought from Small Parts. They sell small quantitys of all kinds of neat stuff. Here's the flowers and pollen scooped up and placed on the mesh screen.
picture.php

I use the artist brush to move the flowers around and brush the pollen through the screen mesh. I then raise all the edges of the screen kind of like a tea bag holds tea. I give the mesh sharp little taps to dislodge the last of the pollen. Here's the cleaned pollen.
picture.php

I store it in little test tubes I bought on ebay. I read a lot about storing seeds, pollen, etc. and the main thing seems to be getting it as dry as possible. I did a lot of searching and testing. I found the simplest way to dry is to use wheat flower and rice. I put rice and wheat flower in small jelly mason jars. I then put the jars in a toaster oven on very low temp. Maybe 125 Deg. F or less. You don't want to burn the wheat flower or rice. I leave it for about five days then put the top on the mason jars to keep moisture out. I did a test with all kinds of desiccants in mason jars and good old dried rice and wheat flower did great. I put two small humidity meters in the jars for several days with the rice and wheat flour and they read below 4% humidity. I read, I can't remember if it was D.J. Short or who, about thinning pollen with wheat flower. I thought using it to dry it out at the same time might be a good idea. I add about 100% or more wheat flower to my pollen in the test tubes. If I'm not using the pollen right away I add the wheat flower and rice immediately to the pollen. I then roll the test tube around until the flower and pollen are thoroughly mixed. I then store in the frig. .To use the pollen later I just dip the artist brush into the test tube and paint the buds. Another idea, I can't remember if I thought this up or someone else did, is to pollinate one plant with multiple strains of pollen. Tap water deactivates pollen. When you pollinate a plant you want to separate it for a day or so then spray the plant with water so the pollen on it will be deactivated. This will keep the pollen off of your other plants. I use this to selectively pollinate separate branches. I like to plan and pollinate the bottom branches first. He's an example. I had a Short Term Amnesia female. I pollinated the bottom branches with a male Ducksfoot. I waited a few days then pollinated the upper buds with STA male pollen. To keep STA pollen off of the Ducksfoot pollinated branches I sprayed tap water with a hand held sprayer on the buds I pollinated with Ducksfoot pollen. That way any pollen falling on the Duck pollinated buds would be inactivated.
One other thing. I use a lot of straws to prop up my males. They don't have a fan on them so they never become very strong and have a tendency to fall over. Here's a picture.
picture.php

See the straw below? That's where the plant started leaning over. I taped straws to it to support it. Above the straw is where it fell over from me shaking the pollen off. Here's a picture where i used packing tap to tape it back up straight.
picture.php

Maybe this will help you out a little. I don't claim it's the best way or even the right way but it works well for me. One last picture. This is a Short Term Amnesia male. Look at the resin on this male flower. I've been collecting all my STA pollen and mixing it but this ones going to have to be separated. It's smells divine.
picture.php

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
cool man, good job doing this and posting the pictures...

the more people get informed of how to do this stuff, the more we can start seeing new "DONORS" .....

and the more donors we get, the more we can start sharing genetics, and the happier GYPSY will be because he won't have to PURCHASE seeds to give out as freebies, AND he can also sell them off to help pay for the site to operate!

and also, maybe one day YOU (YEAH YOU, WHOEVER IS READING MY POST) may be the next big time breeder putting smiles on many faces, including yours and your bankers!

it all starts somewhere!

uptosumpn

Veteran
WOW! I mean this is got to be the easiest and most efficent way of collecting & storing pollen! Thanks! I'm gonna try this!!!

SmokeyTheBear

Pot Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
cool man, good job doing this and posting the pictures...

the more people get informed of how to do this stuff, the more we can start seeing new "DONORS" .....

and the more donors we get, the more we can start sharing genetics, and the happier GYPSY will be because he won't have to PURCHASE seeds to give out as freebies, AND he can also sell them off to help pay for the site to operate!

and also, maybe one day YOU (YEAH YOU, WHOEVER IS READING MY POST) may be the next big time breeder putting smiles on many faces, including yours and your bankers!

it all starts somewhere!

not too many people are interested in auto flowering plants.

SmokeyTheBear

Pot Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
when you see the male flowers start to open you can gradually cut off each site with pods and place it on a magazine. when you pick the dead stick up after about 3 days pollen will be left all over the magazine. this is how i do it.

ACBract

Soma says that pollen in the pod is fertile a few days before the pod opens and spills its pollen, so I do what he does, which sounds like a similar theory/method to what smokeythebear is doing. I pull off each individual pod with tweezers just before it looks like its going to pop. Knowing how long to wait and not pulling early and getting infertile pollen, but not waiting too long and loosing pollen, that just takes time and practice before you know when the pollen is ready, but is learned easily. put the pods on a magazine, on a mirror, or in a jar until it is dry, then use mesh to separate the pollen from dried flowers, and use paint brush to paint pollen on selected branches of selected female. With this method you can have several males and several females of different varieties in the same room without quarantining or cross pollination, as you pull pods before pollen flies in the air, and only use it selectively.

vicious bee

Soma says that pollen in the pod is fertile a few days before the pod opens and spills its pollen, so I do what he does, which sounds like a similar theory/method to what smokeythebear is doing. I pull off each individual pod with tweezers just before it looks like its going to pop. Knowing how long to wait and not pulling early and getting infertile pollen, but not waiting too long and loosing pollen, that just takes time and practice before you know when the pollen is ready, but is learned easily. put the pods on a magazine, on a mirror, or in a jar until it is dry, then use mesh to separate the pollen from dried flowers, and use paint brush to paint pollen on selected branches of selected female. With this method you can have several males and several females of different varieties in the same room without quarantining or cross pollination, as you pull pods before pollen flies in the air, and only use it selectively.
Yours and Smokey the Bear's way sounds much easier but I would probably screw it up. I would like to try that for outdoor this year. One reason I did it the way I did is I want ALL the pollen I can get. I'm saving it for crosses and need as much as possible.

uptosumpn

Veteran
so basicaly how long is pollen fertile?? I shook some off yesterday and put it in a ziploc bag<<gonna try your method next go round..can I use it today?? females are 5 wks today<Autos....

vicious bee

I have some mixed with super dried flour and rice. Then kept in a sealed container in the frig that's maybe three months old and it's fine. I need to put it in smaller packs in the freezer. I believe that getting it as dry as possible and frozen after drying is the key. Remove as much moisture as possible. I've heard people say it can last over a year if dried and put in a deep freezer.

ok...I have a question for you ACBract.....do you HAVE to separate the pollen from the flowers or can you just keep it all together in the same jar,bag or whatever....and use a brush to brush on the pollen...what is the reason for separating the flowers and pollen?:dunno:

Bighill

You want to seperate the flowers from the pollen to keep moisture out of the pollen. You usually want to add a desiccant into the pollen be it some rice, or those sillica balls. The moisture will reduce the shelf life of the frozen pollen.

Bh.

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran
Vicious Bee great post , very cool of you to take the time to take the picks and post this

i store my pollen in test tubes , then i insert the labeled and sealed test tube about 3/4 of the way into the rice in kerr jars the Kerr jars are filled 3/4 with rice and placed in freezer

You want to seperate the flowers from the pollen to keep moisture out of the pollen. You usually want to add a desiccant into the pollen be it some rice, or those sillica balls. The moisture will reduce the shelf life of the frozen pollen.

Bh.

oh ok....I see now....their is usually some moisture leftover....so what if you are using the pollen within a few days...is there an easier way for collecting and storing for a short time?:dunno:

ACBract

As the male flowers swell and look as if they will pop and spill pollen I will pluck it (yes each individual flower one at a time) and drop it into a small baby food jar and leave the lid off in a dry room, not too cold, not too hot - 75F. After collecting as many as I want and killed the daddy, the flowers and pollen are usually dry in a day or two. Then I get pollen all over the paint brush and breed even with flowers in the jar. You can see below how I have tapped the jar so that the pollen and flowers separate and I dip the brush in the yellow pollen. I have heard that leaving flowers in your pollen for storage can cause it to go moldy. I guess thats because of the added moisture.

Latest posts

Latest posts