What's new

Calimed's coco takes on the Mob Boss

Calimed

Veteran

Equipment:

- GrowLab GL120
- Can Fan HO6inch
- Fresh 6x24 Filter
- insulated ducting (new from last grow)
- 600w Hortilux HPS
- misc fans
- liquid PH kit
- Canna nutes

Popped some Mob Boss seeds a few weeks ago in rockwool cubes and a humidity dome/heat mat under a 23w CFL.

There was a very brief period when the rockwool dried out a bit too much...and I've never started seeds with a heat mat before. One of those thermostat attachments might be a good idea.

There are four of them in the tent now:

The front two are almost the same height, the front right being slightly more vigorous.

The top left plant is growing REALLY slow. It may have been stressed , so we will see if it picks up.

The front right plant is interesting so far. The first two side branches grew an inch or so before the main shoot decided to follow suit. Now all 3 are about the same height. It'll be interesting to see if they stay that way or if the main shoot will zip ahead.

I may transplant these pretty soon into 2gal pots. There are a bunch of roots coming out the bottom in all but the upper left plant and the plants are starting to look like they want some more space.

2 of the plants are large enough for about 2 clones each, the tri-tip plant might need another couple days first, it is really squat. That'll be my mission for the weekend.

More updates to come!

G

guest3854

Yeah, Calimed, looks killer. I always enjoy watching tha grow threads progress. Yeah on tha heat mat tip, their damn near unneeded unless you live in a pretty cold area. (If you wanna use tha mat, employ a thermostat like you said or put a folded towel in between tha trays and mats. Beautiful plants man, their in good hands.....

Stay healthy an' grow HARD,
Steele

HeD333

I used a heatmat for my seedlings, but the room they're in is all concrete and 55 degrees ambient. I wouldn't employ one outside of germination or without a humidity dome, but it looks like yours are no worse the wear from the small slip up.

Calimed

Veteran
Yeah, I think the heat mat definitely a variable I don't really need since the room they are in is usually around 65-75 depending on the time of day. Next time I pop seeds I'll try without it.

I didn't soak or use the paper towel method, the seeds went straight into ph treated rockwool.

Pictures from yesterday:

Some noticeable differences on everyone; these leaves are all getting fatter with less vertical growth. Bushy :jump:

Next batch of pictures I'll be using a different camera and shoot some close-ups of the main stalks.

They got fed with a slightly higher strength dosing of A+B yesterday, and will continue that if they can handle it. I'm mostly doing this because of lil Pee Wee...the tiny one. Doesn't it look kinda limey?

They got boosted up 2ml for a total of (per gallon):

12ml A
12ml B
10ml Rhizotonic
10ml Cannazym

OPT

Looks sweet bro, I'll be following this thread. I just started my first try using Coco. Quite some crazy looking leaves on that picture of the small one.

I also am curious to see how your Mob Boss's do. I was going to order them last night after reading about the mob boss a few weeks ago but for some reason it slipped my mind and I got something else! UGH!

It'll be next on my list, that can be for sure. The way Steele lays out his descriptions and interacts with it's customers is very cool, I hope to run his gear soon.

Good luck bro, they look killer so far!

OPT

HeD333

Calmed, I just did the same thing with my heat mat. I think it has something to do with the humidity. I'm pretty sure I killed a few, but some are recovering. Next time I'm just going to germinate in a bit more medium, so that it takes a bit longer to dry out. I'm in soil, but I assume you could use a bit bigger rockwool cube or coco plug.

Calimed

Veteran
Transplanted all of them to #3 pots yesterday except lil Pee Wee. Here is what they looked like immediately after:

I think I see a single lone nut the plant farthest left in the above picture. I've been trying to take pictures of it...but none have come out clear enough yet.

Here is another shot of the Tri Tip stalk:

Calimed

Veteran
I think the one furthest to the left is a male. I've seen two nuts so far. The one in the middle might be too, but the potential nuts are too small for me to tell yet.

The one furthest to the right may be my only hope of a female...we shall see. Lil Pee Wee might be a female too, but it is so small still.

Took 2 clones of the fart left plant and 3 off each the other two. Lil Pee Wee is too small for clones yet.

I'm thinking of flipping to 12/12 once these babies hit 12 inches. Usually I'd go for 20-24.

Calimed

Veteran
This leads me to another debate. If I only get one female...should I seed the whole plant so I can continue my pheno hunt? Or just the lower branches?

HeD333

If you're set for smoke, just seed the whole bad boy. The f2's will show more variation, but you can get some really exotic phenos in there.

Calimed

Veteran
Haha. That is my debate. I am hitting up the clubs until my harvests are back in line (just moved).

It would be kinda sad if I didn't continue these genetics so I will definitly seed half the plant. I wonder how many seeds I could get if I pollenate an entire plant flipped at 12inches.

Tough decisions.

Calimed

Veteran
Update time!

I started 12/12 on 4/1/10 and all of the clones are rooting. There are 2 copies of the 90% confirmed male, and 3 of the other two. LilPeeWee is about to get some cuts taken today or tomorrow.

It was hard to flip so early (12 inches tall), but this run is to determine genetics/phenos and make some seeds.

The plant on the front right is probably female, but I'll know for sure in the next few days. I'm not quite sure about the tri-tip in the center. I thought I saw some nuts, but they might not be.

I topped the suspected female just before April 1st.

Some stalk shots. Here is the plant on the right:

Man-stalk on the left:

Tri-Tip:

Just picked up a new carbon filter for flowering, a Phresh 6x24". Sooooo much lighter than a can33...supposed to work better too and I'll definitely need that :D.

Nutes for stretch are still as follows per gallon:

Canna A - 12ml
Canna B - 12ml
Rhizotonic - 10ml
Cannazym - 10ml

Not that it is overly relevant, but it takes me about 1/4tsp of ph down to bring the above mix to a ph of 6 with my liquid test kid.

Once I start seeing flowers, I'll start adding boost.

Last grow I tried a slow titration of pk 13/14 starting around week 2. I'll probably do that with these babies as well.

Calimed

Veteran
Day 8 of flower:

And some stalk pictures from two days ago:

Left:

Center:

Right:

I like to trim 1-3 of the lower nodes of each branch in order to provide more focus towards the stronger tips I want fat buds on. This isn't done all at once, but slowly up through stretch. Once the stretch slows down I'll stop trimming until they get chopped.

Just topped lil Pee Wee the other day too.

Calimed

Veteran
Moved all the plants to the floor and have trimmed a few of the lower branches each day.

All of the clones have rooted and should be transplanted today or tomorrow. I'm only going to keep a single(best) male clone, so I may cull several of the clones once I've confirmed their sexes.

Few pics from day 11 of flowering:

Calimed

Veteran
All the sexes have now been determined except lil Pee Wee...such a straggler!

Both the plant on the left (that I suspected) and the Tri-Tip are male. The plant on the right is female.

I only want one male in there right now, so I culled the Tri-Tip. There are 3 rooted clones from this guy, but I may throw those away. One of the clones from the keeper male will be kept. This may not really be needed since I will be seeding some of the female, but we'll see.

The girl that will be featured from here on out:

The male after some heavy trimming to open up more space for the female:

Lil Pee Wee:

I'm glad I installed my new carbon filter the other week, it is starting to get real stinky already.

Another interesting and random thing to note...my cats LOVE Mob Boss. They've never taken interest in other strains I've grown, but this one, they follow me to the garden and like to nibble on the leaves that are trimmed.

Calimed

Veteran
Things have changed a bit in the past 9 days:

The large male has been culled. 3 of the shoots were cut and placed into water to harvest the pollen.

Lil Pee Wee decided to be a girl! This plant is pretty much half the size of the other female with the same amount of time under the light. If I rub the stems, lil Pee Wee is a brighter sweeter smell over the danky stank of the big girl.

Nutes for week 3 per gallon:

Canna A - 13-14ml (I use the bottles to measure)
Canna B - 13-14ml
Rhizotonic - 2ml
Boost - 10ml
PK 13/14 - 2ml
Cannazym - 10ml

Full Shot:

Lil Pee Wee

Main female:

Clone from the main female recently thrown in due to extra space:

Calimed

Veteran
Thanks K33ftr!

Here are a few shots from Day 25:

The thickest shoot on Big Momma (largest female) is stretching around 1.5-2in a day. The light gets raised each day with it too, maintaining a min. distance of 10-11in.

Most/all of the lower popcorn branches have been cleared, but I am debating if I should clear away more fan leaves. The airflow is good, but I'm noting a few spots of perspiration. For today, I tuck n ' twisted.