What's new

Durban Poison x Hash Plant Experiment

Greenmopho

Hey guys, this is my first real breeding project. I have a large male Hash Plant, grow from seed acquired from Sensi Seed bank in Amsterdam. This male plant is in a single DWC bucket, and has been chopped down to one shoot. It just started releasing pollen today. It is in another area from my grow area, but I was wondering about pollen contamination on clothes, shoes, etc. I try to only go in there if I am done with my girls for the day, and then wash my clothes and take a shower immediately after. I have to be honest, I've never "budded" out a male plant before, its amazing to see how fast it matured, only took 2 weeks on a strain whose females mature in 40 days! The female I am crossing with is a Durban Poison phenotype that has some purple hues to it's buds. It was acquired as a clone, and is usually ready in about 60 days. The flavor is classic Durban, with purple bud leaf tips and pinkish hairs. Hash Plant has always been one of my favorite strains, fruity skunky flavor, couch-lock indica high, done in 40 days, like clockwork, and a decent yielder. I'm hoping to create a cross that will infuse some of the lemony and spicy tones of the Durban with the fruit and skunkiness of the Hash Plant into a plant that matures in hopefully 45-50 days, and yields decently. My high preference tends to be more in the indica range (knock you out), but I love the tastes of well grown sativas, especially Chem Dawg strains, Kushes, and true Hazes, such as Amnesia. Anyway, not sure to what to do, since the male has pollen now, and the female is far from ready. The male got about 1 week head start on the durban girl. So may I introduce....
:ying:

....The ODD Couple....
picture.php

Male Hash Plant pollen sacks
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Fallen Pollen (it rhymes)
picture.php

picture.php

I like my males to have a thick and long, uh, stalk....
picture.php

Durban Poison Female Hairs
picture.php

picture.php

What'd ya think? Anyone want some of the beans when their done?

Greenmopho

The pollen sacks are really popping now. Just covered the main shoot with a clear bag to start to collect the pollen. Will probably leave it on there for the next week. I want to keep and store some of the pollen so I can cross it with others.

The value of healthy Hash Plant pollen is that Hash Plant is so fruity, resinous, and blooms in 40 days. Crossing it with anything will infuse some fruit and shorten the flower cycle, since both flavor/aroma and flowering period are considered traits with "shared dominance".

I just want to give away most of the beans to see what people think! I want feedback. The result will probably be more Durban tasting, since the Durban has the stronger and spicier taste. I'm curious to see how the buds look. It will end up finishing in the 50-55 day range.

Its funny, I've never fully grown out a male. Its amazing how majestic and mystical it looks in bloom!

Endur

Veteran
Love the looks of your hash plant, Think I'm going to pick up a pack soon. I would like to try your new cross outdoors. Hope you find a pheno that is to your liking.
peace
ENDUR

WelderDan

Veteran
Ohh man, that sounds like a tasty mix. That was a nice looking HP male. I bet this will turn out to be an excellent cross.

Greenmopho

Ohh man, that sounds like a tasty mix. That was a nice looking HP male. I bet this will turn out to be an excellent cross.

Yea, I'm hoping so....The male is really really smelly and is already building trichomes on its flowers, as well. I know thats not really the best scientific gauge for a good male, but its damn sexy!:bump:

Greenmopho

Okay, I'm confused. So far, I've taken Jorge Cervantes, DJ Short, and Ed Rosenthal's breeding advice. They all say to cover your main shoot on your male with a clear plastic bag and seal it off around the branch on the bottom. I did this yesterday. When I checked on "him" tonight, the bag was all full of humidity and condensation. Won't this condensation make the pollen inviable? How am I supposed to really collect a good amount of pollen?

I ripped the bag open so the plant could breath. I did have a leaf or 2 in there with the shoot in the bag. The condensation is obviously coming from the plant transpiring, which, to my understanding comes from the leaves, not the flowers. If I cover just the top of the shoot without any leaves in it, will this eliminate the condensation? Or should I just not bother and just wait till the pollen is really falling hard, and just collect some in intervals with a brown paper bag?

B

BeAn

cut the male flower stems off, just before they pop n put the ends in a glass of water, remove the leaves, collect the pollen that drops on a mirror or paper..:)

Greenmopho

cut the male flower stems off, just before they pop n put the ends in a glass of water, remove the leaves, collect the pollen that drops on a mirror or paper..:)

The entire plant has been cut down to 1 stalk. If I cut that stalk off and put it in water, there will be nothing left. But that would work if I didn't cut it down to 1 stalk. I was just afraid that I would have more pollen than needed and it would contaminate everything.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
i have a chair pulled up for this one! i will be doing the same thing and cant wait to see the parallels! good luck

KingV

Is it durban on the right side in odd couple pic?

Asking because it looks nothing like my (supposed to be pure) durban.

Greenmopho

New pics!

Here is our male HP in full bloom!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Then we cut him down, harvested the pollen, sprayed down the girls, and moved 'em to a bloom tent, still under the T5 with mixed warm and cool spectrum bulbs.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The seed pods are getting nice and full. I will let her go until the seeds almost drop. Not sure yet if I want her under the T5 some more, or stick her under 1000W HPS. Summer is coming, and its been getting hot, so heat is an issue for me...

Greenmopho

The first seed dropped on my pollenated Durban just now...Happy Day....its a new born, and born on 4/20, it must be good!

:good:Greenmopho- Heya guys, would you happen to have any more of that hash plant pollen? And totally congrats on the seed dropping on 4/20, I think that's a good omen.

I know you said you guys are harvesting soon, I'm harvesting this weekend, but if you need help give me a ring and let me know. Let me know if there is something else besideds the jack herer you want out of my garden... much respect.:good:

Greenmopho

:good:Greenmopho- Heya guys, would you happen to have any more of that hash plant pollen? And totally congrats on the seed dropping on 4/20, I think that's a good omen.

I know you said you guys are harvesting soon, I'm harvesting this weekend, but if you need help give me a ring and let me know. Let me know if there is something else besideds the jack herer you want out of my garden... much respect.:good:

I had cut that male down to 1 shoot, and harvested the pollen, so there isn't much to go around. I would like to keep as much of it as I can for an ibl and other crosses later on. When I sprout the seeds, I will gladly send a female clone your way....I'm just not looking to give out seeds or pollen at the moment....until I really have something special to share.

I'll let you know....I don't have space for new clones to veg right now...still working on that...

Greenmopho

Okay, I'm not superstitious or anything, but I keep getting good omens from this project. My first seed dropped on 4/20, and yesterday, I went to check on 'em, and look! A seed must of dropped and germinated in the soil without notice!

picture.php

picture.php

I immediately transplanted it into a RR plug, and its doing great!

So this is the start of the Durban Poison x Hash Plant cross! Soon I will also have East Coast Sour Diesel x Hash Plant cross. My plan is to get to an f2 of a [DurbanxHP]x[ECSDxHP]....

GMP- They say things always happen in threes.... and I am a pretty superstitious person. With they whole planting seeds during the full moon, not going around the plants if I'm in a bad mood, especially to fee them etc.

I can't wait to see what your cross is going to turn out like!

We will have to get together and do a day of wasting away doing nothing but smoking sample after sample of BHO and ISO, as well as if we can get the small problem we have run itnto making our new extractor with the aluminim being too pouous for efficient exctaction with no contamination. We have been toying around with using iso hexane instead of propane, but all I do now is take care of all the gardening needs while Dr Jekyl figures out the contraption to make it ALIVE!!!!!

And I have managed to either break or lose every pipe, bong, hitter bat and bubbler in the last 2-3 weeks. I really feel an urgent need to get out of the city and get back into the rhythm of life.

If we can all get some free time together soon and do something that would be awesome. could definately use to get grounded and centered soon, I'm feeling really "off".

Last edited: