What's new

Server Case Grow Box!

silasfarmer

I'm brand new here, but I've been lurking for a while. I've been intrigued by these PC grow boxes. I found a box that I think would do fairly well. It's a 24.5"x7.5"x16.5" big ol' server box. I've got a desk with a shelf/cabinet specifically designed for a large PC. I plan on storing it there. Stealth isn't a huge concern for me (I live alone in a small apartment), and I'd just assume no one would bat an eye. Smell is a minor concern, but I can rig a coffee can carbon filter.
This is the desk: http://is.gd/aJozY
And these are the pictures of my case.
External:

Inside:

I haven't gutted it yet, but I plan to once I get a plan drawn up.

What do you guys think? How can I use this space as efficiently as possible?

I plan on coating the inside in black felt, followed by a reflective mylar windshield cover, then installing a power strip velcro'd to the back wall where I'll attach CFLs using socket converters. The velcro will allow height adjustment as the plants grow. I'll be installing at least one fan (depending on x of plants, bulbs, thus heat) and one odor-eliminating device, as well as a thermometer.

Part of me wants to shove as many dixie cups with a germinated seed onto the floor as possible and see which ones look the healthiest after 24/7 light for a while, pick the friendliest, most lady-like, to grow in the box (2 or 3?).

PC grow boxes have been gaining popularity, and I've been trying my best to read up on the most successful ones, and the biggest failures. If anyone has any advice to impart, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks.

silasfarmer

Also, I've been reading up on SOG, SCROG, and LST. Obviously I want to produce the highest yield. What have other people been successful with?

I've seen a great many successes with a SCROG setup in large computer cases / server cases like this. I personally like to raise big healthy plants so SOG is not for me... rather have big sexy colas than more little popcorn nugs. LST comes into play in most micro grows, as these plants want to grow as big as possible and they are going to require some training more than likely to keep them under control (while also promoting big bushy growth).

silasfarmer

Yes, but which yields more will be the ultimate conundrum. I think with this width/height proportionality, the yield might be stronger with just trying to grow 2 or 3 with LST. What do you think of the "plant a ton, identify the friendliest, ditch the rest" approach? How many could I realistically fit?

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Nice! A stripped server case is a fantastic blank canvas to start with. Here is what I did with mine. I only vegged in it.

I originally intended to flower below and keep a mum up top. I think it'd work but it sure is cramped in the higher level. You have to be good with lst and use shallow pots. I used coco so it's good for that.

It is also quite squeezy down below though, so you may well want to rip the divider level out. You will have plenty of headroom then and building it becomes simpler.

I think your general plan is good. Try to find square containers like a milk bottle or something so you can fit 2 side by side and then squeeze in as many as you can. Don't forget males often grow the tallest when you are choosing ones to keep. Good luck~

U

ukganjafarmer

I'm brand new here, but I've been lurking for a while. I've been intrigued by these PC grow boxes. I found a box that I think would do fairly well. It's a 24.5"x7.5"x16.5" big ol' server box. I've got a desk with a shelf/cabinet specifically designed for a large PC. I plan on storing it there. Stealth isn't a huge concern for me (I live alone in a small apartment), and I'd just assume no one would bat an eye. Smell is a minor concern, but I can rig a coffee can carbon filter.
This is the desk: http://is.gd/aJozY
And these are the pictures of my case.
External:

Inside:

I haven't gutted it yet, but I plan to once I get a plan drawn up.

What do you guys think? How can I use this space as efficiently as possible?

I plan on coating the inside in black felt, followed by a reflective mylar windshield cover, then installing a power strip velcro'd to the back wall where I'll attach CFLs using socket converters. The velcro will allow height adjustment as the plants grow. I'll be installing at least one fan (depending on x of plants, bulbs, thus heat) and one odor-eliminating device, as well as a thermometer.

Part of me wants to shove as many dixie cups with a germinated seed onto the floor as possible and see which ones look the healthiest after 24/7 light for a while, pick the friendliest, most lady-like, to grow in the box (2 or 3?).

PC grow boxes have been gaining popularity, and I've been trying my best to read up on the most successful ones, and the biggest failures. If anyone has any advice to impart, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks.

Hey i think you should go with some pll lights, there really gud for pc grows and hav better lumen per watt than any other cfl's, as for growing techniqes i think u shud go with scrog with 2-3 plants?

oh and you definetly need more than one fan!

good luck

Ghostwolf

Pirate & Cherokee Warrior for Freedom and Cannabis
Veteran
That's a nice full tower case to start to start with out with. Good luck. I'll be pulling up a chair to see how it comes out.

Masterlow

hmmm, a server case, with the partition removed.. i just found my new mom/clone area.
Fantastic!

looking forward to watching you case take shape silas.

I would definitly get another PC case, probably a smaller one, to keep moms and clones in,
and use the server case (as scrub suggested) with the devider removed for flower.
And LST/scrog will be your best bet for decent yields. i'd scrog 2-3 plants in there, just swap out the dividing partition for a scrog screen..
just an idea.

Fuzz420

Ganja Smoker Extraordinaire
Veteran
Awesome i need to score a server case. I would look into a 150w hps for that space

Ghostwolf

Pirate & Cherokee Warrior for Freedom and Cannabis
Veteran
Yeah I sure we all would, but ya have to work with what ever you got. Or at least some of us do, unless ya got the bucks to get one or know someone with spare one. Good luck again with yours. :)

I have a server case with 3 exhaust & 2 intake fans with carbon filters. I'm using 2 2700, 2 6700 cfl bulbs with a bubbler system. I will use lst and scog. Running a trial grow with bag seed.

Latest posts

Latest posts