What's new

Tropf Blumat Unboxing + Instruction Manual

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Hehe I just picked up 150 of these yesterday, plus a few hundred meters of 3mm tubing. I ended up getting a bunch of 3/32" black plastic barbed tees from Kentsystems.com for $0.22 each, two blumats per tee and waay cheaper than ordering fittings from Rambridge!

If your Hydro shop doesn't carry them, Tradewinds distributing out of Sacramento is the West Coast wholesaler for Tropf Blumat stuff.

D

dunkybones

I've been curious about these puppies for awhile. I subscribed to this thread, Good luck , Green Mountain.

Blckbrd

Are those the "junior" size or the full size? What medium are you gonna use them in? Do you just shove the ceramic cone in near the plant?

I am going to try my first completely organic soil grow in a very long time and am very interested in these.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Blckbrd, you don't want the juniors, those ones water through the cone, not the line.

The valves have to be filled with water and then soaked overnight to activate them, then pushed into an overwatered medium. Then they will start working. If they dry out they have to be pulled and reactivated again. I'm planning on adding some drip-clean to my reservoirs to help keep the tiny 3mm tubing clean and free-flowing too.

The only other system I know of that is demand-based is a wick system, which I don't think would be practical for large grows. Not that the Blumats are entirely practical either, but I've designed my reservoirs around them.

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
Blckbrd, you don't want the juniors, those ones water through the cone, not the line.

The valves have to be filled with water and then soaked overnight to activate them, then pushed into an overwatered medium. Then they will start working. If they dry out they have to be pulled and reactivated again. I'm planning on adding some drip-clean to my reservoirs to help keep the tiny 3mm tubing clean and free-flowing too.

The only other system I know of that is demand-based is a wick system, which I don't think would be practical for large grows. Not that the Blumats are entirely practical either, but I've designed my reservoirs around them.

:yeahthats

I'm going to be using them in a 30/70 perlite/coco mix.

Blckbrd

Thanks Lazyman. I like the way the juniors feed in that I could have a large container near and higher than say 5 or 6 plants in 3 gal containers and just run the feeder lines into the container.

The larger pressure-fed Blumats look like they have to be rigged to a faucet and that would just be feeding them plain H2O. How are you planning on pressurizing your nutrient feed? Or am I missing something .... can the larger blumats function on the "siphon" principle?

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Yep, both valves feed on the same gravity fed system, but the juniors water through the cone, so you can't really use nutes without clogging them. The Regular tropf blumats water through a 3mm surgical tube and are less prone to clogging. You should only need one blumat per container until you hit about a 8-10 gallon pot of soil/coco.

If you don't want to use a reservoir you can use their pressure reducer and an inline fertigator like Farmtek sells, but that will take a good amount of dial-in and several units for adding in any multi-part nutes. I would maybe try it with Floranova diluted a bit in the 3 gallon unit and use an inline sediment filter after it, so it doesn't clog up the lines.

Blckbrd

Nice. Thanks! This looks awesome ... just what I need. I'd prefer the reservoir & am thinking having a small submersible pump running in there would keep it mixed properly.

One per container/plant, huh? If the cone is the moisture sensor and if each of the containers/ are essentially equal, would one blumat regulate feeding two or three containers?

Doesn't look like there are a lot of vendors - I found "Sustainable Village." Any others you'd recommend?

Nevermind ... I overlooked EBAY - duh!

Last edited:

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Yeah you can use a submersible pump, I prefer air pumps/stones to circulate the reservoirs though.

Yep you can configure the system to use one blumat as a sensor and use multiple drippers off of it, but I'm told it doesn't work as well and to avoid it. One blumat per pot please.

Yeah I've heard sustainable village carries them, there are also some knockoffs on amazon (search autowaterer) I got mine from my local hydro store via Tradewinds distributing in Sacramento CA. I ordered a bunch of 3/32" plastic barbed tees from kentsystems.com for $0.22 each, they fit the blumat tubing a little snug (2.4mm tee vs 2mm hose) but not too tough at all. This is about 1/4 the price you'd pay for the real BLumat 3mm tees, they are ridiculous!

Blckbrd

Really good info ... thanks. Indoor & outdoor applications galore, and, I don't have to wait 'till I return from a vacation to start a project. One per container .. got it. Not gonna be penny wise and pound foolish!

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Exactly, couldn't be cooler, and every plant gets exactly as much water as they want, you just set the overall moisture level in each pot and the valve maintains that forever. If you want to make it so you can go on vacation and the girls never run out of water, check out my reservoir automation thread in my sig. It doesn't even require power either, so still good for outdoor ops if needed.

ourcee

been VERY curious about these myself, so you say for <8(ish) gallon conatiners one standard size blumat will suffice?

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Hey Ourcee, yes in theory, though I would recommend one of their Maxi units (the ceramic sensor is ~10 inches deeper) for large pots. Or use two blumats, just to be on the safe side. Our girls drink a ton of water when they get that huge!

Latest posts

Latest posts