What's new

LEAST TOXIC PESTICIDES

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
[Adapted from the Cornell Cooperative Extension and the Colorado State University Extension]

It is important to remember that the following "least toxic" pesticides are pesticides and should be treated as such.

Many botanically-derived insecticides have gained favor in recent years, due in part to the perception that, because they originate from plant material, they are more safe or "natural."

These pesticides are often used for growing crops organically, according to guidelines set forth by certification programs.

However, it is important to be aware that they are pesticides, and that they fall under the same state and federal regulations as synthetic pesticides.

Pesticides may only be used as indicated on the label.
It is important to realize that produce grown using these less toxic alternatives is not "pesticide free."
These pesticides also leave residues, can be disruptive to natural enemies and may be toxic to humans.
The same precautions should be taken in the use of "less toxic pesticides" as with synthetic pesticides. Relying heavily on the use of any pesticide is an un-ecological practice.

Pyrethrins:

Pyrethrins are botanical insecticides made from the dried flower heads of a relative of the common chrysanthemum. Pyrethrins affect the insect on contact, creating disturbances in the nervous system which eventually result in convulsions and death. Low doses, however, often cause temporary paralysis from which the insect may recover. Pyrethrins are only slightly toxic to man and not hazardous to birds and other wildlife. They have almost no residual activity, breaking down rapidly from exposure to sunlight, air or moisture. Pyrethrins are effective as broad-spectrum insecticides to control pests such as aphids, whiteflies, stinkbugs and mites.

Neem:

Neem is a botanical insecticide derived from a tree native to the Middle East, where it has been used for centuries to control insects. One of the most desirable properties of Neem is its low degree of toxicity†it is considered almost nontoxic to humans and animals, and is completely biodegradable. It is used as an ingredient in toothpaste, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals and other products. Neem products can be used to manage pests on vegetables, fruit, ornamentals, and lawns and can be found at many home garden centers. Neem has been advertised as effective or moderately effective for more than 200 pest insect species and some of the plant diseases, including certain mildews and rusts. Effectiveness, however, is variable and test results have been inconclusive in many cases. Because the products are relatively new, it is not yet clear how effectively the products control each of these pests. Generally, chewing insects are affected more than sucking insects. Insects that undergo complete metamorphosis are also generally affected more than those which do not undergo metamorphosis. Neem often works more slowly than other pesticides, and effectiveness is reduced in cooler climates. Neem does not persist in the environment and should be reapplied after rain. Neem has little effect when applied directly on insects, except in the oil formulations; most insects are affected only after consuming foliage that has been treated. Neem is most effective as a foliar spray applied periodically to new flushes of growth. On some species of plants Neem also works as a systemic pesticide, absorbed into the plant and carried throughout the tissues, ingested by insects when they feed on the plant. This may make it effective against certain foliage-feeders that cannot be reached with spray applications, such as leafminers and thrips.

Bacillus Thuringiensis:

At present, Bt is the only "microbial insecticide" in widespread use. A naturally occurring bacterial disease of insects, Bt is an insecticide with unusual properties which make it useful for pest control in certain situations. Bt insecticides are most commonly used against some leaf- and needle-feeding caterpillars. Strains have recently been produced which affect certain fly larvae, such as mosquitoes, as well as the larvae of leaf beetles. Insecticidal activity is specific to each Bt strain. Bt is considered safe to humans and wildlife. Some formulations can be used on food crops.

Properties: Unlike typical nerve-poison insecticides, Bt acts by producing proteins (delta-endotoxin, the "toxic crystal") which react with the cells of the gut lining of susceptible insects. These Bt proteins paralyze the digestive system, and the infected insect stops feeding within hours. Bt-affected insects generally die from starvation, which can take several days.

Disadvantages:
- Bt is susceptible to degradation by sunlight; most formulations persist on foliage less than a week following application. Some of the newer strains developed for leaf beetle control become ineffective within 24 hours.

- The highly specific activity of Bt insecticides might limit their use on crops where problems with several pests occur, including nonsusceptible insects (aphids, grasshoppers, etc.).

- As strictly a stomach poison insecticide, Bt must be eaten to be effective, and application coverage must be thorough. This further limits its usefulness against pests that are susceptible to Bt but which rarely have an opportunity to eat it in field use, such as codling moth or corn earworm which tunnel into plants.

- Bt-based products tend to have a shorter shelf life than other insecticides. Manufacturers generally indicate reduced effectiveness after two to three years of storage. Liquid formulations are more perishable than dry formulations. Shelf life is greatest when storage conditions are cool, dry and out of direct sunlight.

Horticultural Oil:

Various oils have been used for centuries to control insect and mite pests. Oils remain an important tool to manage certain pest problems (e.g., scales, aphids, mites) on fruit trees, shade trees and woody ornamental plants. Several recently developed oils extend this usefulness to flowers, vegetables and other herbaceous plants. Oils also can control some plant diseases, such as powdery mildew. Horticultural oils block the air holes (spiracles) through which insects breathe, causing death by asphyxiation. In some cases, oils also may act as poisons, interacting with the fatty acids of the insect and interfering with normal metabolism.

Oils pose few risks to people or to most desirable species, including beneficial natural enemies of insect pests. However, a mask or respirator should be worn when applying horticultural oils. Oils quickly dissipate through evaporation, leaving little residue. Oils also are easy to apply with existing spray equipment and can be mixed with many other pesticides to extend their performance.

The main limitation of spray oils is their potential to cause plant injury (phytotoxicity) in some situations. Oils also can stain some surfaces, particularly dark-colored house paints. Essentially all commercially available horticultural oils are refined petroleum products. Impurities in the oil that are associated with plant injury, such as aromatic compounds and compounds containing sulfur, nitrogen or oxygen are removed. Filtration, distillation and dewaxing complete the production of the finished base oil.

Vegetable oils also can be used as insecticides, although the type of oil can greatly affect its activity. Cottonseed oil is generally considered the most insecticidal of the vegetable oils. Soybean oil, the most commonly available vegetable oil used in cooking, has also provided fair to good control.

Insecticidal Soap:

Soaps can be used to control a wide range of plant pests. Small, soft-bodied arthropods such as aphids, mealybugs, psyllids and spider mites are most susceptible to soaps. In most cases, control results from disruption of the cell membranes of the insect. Soaps and detergents may also remove the protective waxes that cover the insect, causing death through excess loss of water. Insecticidal soaps act strictly as contact insecticides, with no residual effect. To be effective, sprays must be applied directly to, and thoroughly cover, the insect. Insecticidal soaps are considered selective insecticides because of their minimal adverse effects on other organisms. Lady beetles, green lacewings, pollinating bees and most other beneficial insects are not susceptible to soap sprays, for example. Predatory mites, however, which are often important in the control of spider mites, are vulnerable to insecticidal soaps.

One of the most serious potential drawbacks to the use of soap-detergent sprays is their phytotoxicity. Certain plants are sensitive to these sprays and may be seriously injured. The risk of plant damage is greater with homemade preparations of household soaps or detergents. When in doubt, test soap-detergent sprays for phytotoxicity problems on a small area a day or two before an extensive area is treated. Plant injury can be reduced by using sprays that are diluted more than the 2 to 3 percent suggested on label instructions. To reduce leaf injury, wash plants within a couple of hours after the application. Limiting the number of soap applications can also be important, as leaf damage can accumulate with repeated exposure.

Pesticides are poisonous!
Read and follow all safety precautions on labels.
Handle carefully and store in original containers out of reach of children, pets or livestock.
Dispose of empty containers immediately, in a safe manner and place. Pesticides should never be stored with foods or in areas where people eat.

:cool:

Last edited:

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
Pyrethrins

Pyrethrins are natural insecticides produced by certain species of the chrysanthemum plant.
The flowers of the plant are harvested shortly after blooming and are either dried and powdered or the oils within the flowers are extracted with solvents.
The resulting pyrethrin containing dusts and extracts usually have an active ingredient content of about 30%. These active insecticidal components are collectively known as pyrethrins.

Two pyrethrins are most prominent, pyrethrin-I and pyrethrin-II.
The pyrethrins have another four different active ingredients, Cinerin I and II and Jasmolin I and II.

Pyrethrin compounds have been used primarily to control human lice, mosquitoes, cockroaches, beetles and flies.
Some "pyrethrin dusts," used to control insects in horticultural crops, are only 0.3% to 0.5% pyrethrins, and are used at rates of up to 50 lb/A.
Other pyrethrin compounds may be used in grain storage and in poultry pens and on dogs and cats to control lice and fleas.

The natural pyrethrins are contact poisons which quickly penetrate the nerve system of the insect.
A few minutes after application, the insect cannot move or fly away.
But, a "knockdown dose" does not mean a killing dose.
The natural pyrethrins are swiftly detoxified by enzymes in the insect.
Thus, some pests will recover.

Semisynthetic derivatives of the chrysanthemumic acids have been developed as insecticides.
These are called pyrethroids and tend to be more effective than natural pyrethrins while they are less toxic to mammals.

http://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/pyrethri.htm

Pyrethroids are a group of man-made pesticides similar to the natural pesticide pyrethrum, which is produced by chrysanthemum flowers. Although more than 1,000 pyrethroids have been made, only a few are used in the U.S. These include permethrin (Biomist®), resmethrin (Scourge®) and sumithrin (Anvil®). Pyrethroids are found in many commercial products used to control insects, including household insecticides, pet sprays and shampoos. Some pyrethroids also are used as lice treatments applied directly to the head and as mosquito repellents that can be applied to clothes.

Permethrins are synthetic pyrethrins and have the additional benefit of a residual effect for several days.

Last edited:

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
dang I.M all your info really should be compiled into some sort of fact section. duder your the man when it comes to info like this and other stuff ive read by you. the info is to valuable to be spread all over the forums a centeral location for all this handy informative info really would benifit all. maybe a sticky like stitchs thread over at the infirmary section :) just a thought

raeky

the old adage, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, is very relevant here...

Theres fairly specific pathways that insects use to get into your garden, presuming your growing in a sealed indoor environment, you can control and eliminate all of those pathways...

Don't go tend your indoor garden right after tending to your outdoor gardens, insects can be transported inside easily on you. Shower, change clothes, shoes, etc.. before you enter your indoor garden.

Pull air from a clean source into your garden, don't suck unfiltered air directly through outdoor vegetation directly into your indoor garden... Filter air you bring in, and ideally pull it from a source that has no nearby plants.

Maintain a very clean indoor garden area, clean everything that comes into the room, filter all the incoming air, after a grow clean all the surfaces with bleach, and specifically if you did have a pest clean everything with miticides and other pesticides BETWEEN grows, make everything sterile again.

Keep mothers in a VERY clean environment. Try to treat it as a clean room. Positive pressure the mother chamber with HEPA air filtering coming in. (positive pressure mother cab inside a negative air pressure room for odor control would be ideal). Apply miticides and pesticides around the grow area but I wouldn't apply them directly on plants you plan on consuming unless its a last ditch effort.

Be very careful about bringing other living plants/cuttings into your garden from unknown sources. If possible quarantine them for a period of time away from your main garden to see if they have any insect infestations.

Although all of this may be overkill for most people who don't live in areas that are very insect prone... *shrug*

I would be careful about applying any pesticides, even "organic" ones to your plants you plan on smoking... removal of those pesticides would be virtually impossible in an indoor environment without harming your product. So assume whatever goes on your plants will stay on your plants and eventually be smoked by you.

inflorescence

Veteran
I.M. Boggled said:

Horticultural Oil:

Oils pose few risks to people or to most desirable species, including beneficial natural enemies of insect pests. However, a mask or respirator should be worn when applying horticultural oils.

Maybe I'm over-reacting, but I'm always a better safe than sorry type when it comes to horticulture but my problem with hort oil "Ultra fine" is that I've read it can cause pnuematic aspiration when inhaled, this is why they say to wear a respirator. Well, if your eating the plant I guess it wouldn't be that much of a problem, but my main concern is that most, if not ALL, safety studies of pesticides have to due with oral ingestion of the plant matter after it's exposed to the pesticide. The problem is, we SMOKE our medicine and this is never taken into account when the studies are done because none of the manufactures of these pesticides intends for the product to be applied to a plant that is going to be smoked. Thus IMO smoking parrafinic oil (hort oil) might cause pneumatic aspiration.

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
An astute observation inflorescence regarding using horticultural oils. :)
The only oil I would actually recommend for use on Cannabis would be a "Neem Tree Oil extract. :)

Last edited:

inflorescence

Veteran
I.M. Boggled said:
The only oil I would actually recommend for use on Cannabis would be a "Neem Tree Oil extract. :)

Word!
I posted in another thread, that my dream pesticide would be the fractional distallation of neem oil. It would contain azadirctran (sp?) and would be viscous enough to not clog stomata like a heavier "pure" neem.

I think this would be the perfect product for a company to manufacture and market to cannabis growers.

raeky

The EPA's report on neem oil, relevant section quoted (toxicology):

Toxicology Assessment

All studies submitted for acute mammalian toxicology support the
registration of the technical manufacturing product (Reg. No. 11688-8)
and the end-use product for use on all terrestrial and greenhouse food
crops. Summarized below are data and information for the registration
of clarified hydrophobic extract of neem oil. EPA has examined the
acute mammalian toxicology data related to human health submitted for
clarified hydrophobic extract of neem oil. The mammalian toxicology
data for clarified hydrophobic extract of neem oil indicate low acute
toxicity following all routes of exposure. With the exceptions of the
primary eye irritation study (toxicity category III) and the acute
dermal study (toxicity category III), all other acute studies (oral,
dermal irritation, and inhalation toxicity) were classified toxicity
category IV. Based on the results from the sensitization test
(Buehler), the clarified hydrophobic extract of neem oil is considered
to be a mild (minimal) contact sensitizer. In addition, clarified
hydrophobic extract of neem oil was shown not to be cytotoxic or
mutagenic via the Ames test (Salmonella/reverse mutation assay).
Further genotoxicity tests to address structural chromosomal
aberrations and forward mutations have been waived based on the known
composition (fatty acids and glycerides) and GRAS status of the
technical manufacturing product (clarified hydrophobic extract of neem
oil, the lack of mammalian and avian toxicity, and the negative results
observed in the Ames tests). Consequently, at levels used on plants,
human exposure is expected to be negligible and acute toxicity from
such exposure is not expected.

Tolerance exemptions are usually, in part, based on the results of
subchronic (90-day) feeding and developmental toxicity studies
submitted to support registration. However, these studies were waived
for clarified hydrophobic extract of neem oil because of the low
demonstrated acute toxicity, the GRAS nature of the naturally occurring
components (saturated fatty acids and glycerides) of the active
pesticidal ingredient, and the negligible exposure to humans and the
environment owing to the low use rates. Such use rates would not
significantly increase dietary intake over routine exposure from
general consumption of fatty acids in foods. Moreover, the Agency knows
of no reported cases of adverse effects from exposure to low amounts of
fatty acids.

Even with a low rating, I'm doubtful it's healthy to smoke it?

If it was either this or the plants dieing... and no other non-direct application works, and other predatory insects won't work... then maybe.. but still.

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
five0addict said:
on the bottle of neem it says if you get it on your skin you need to rinse for 20-30 minutes!! typo??
hum unsure about neem oil but the duder at cig store from india says neem is great cure all he showed me some powdered for teas and capsuls like a vitiaman supplement

SoulRebel

raeky said:
The EPA's report on neem oil, relevant section quoted (toxicology):

Even with a low rating, I'm doubtful it's healthy to smoke it?

If it was either this or the plants dieing... and no other non-direct application works, and other predatory insects won't work... then maybe.. but still.

It (Neem) is 100% biodegradable and shoud be nowhere to be found in your plant, providing you don't spray it in the last 6 weeks of 12/12. I hear what your saying on smoking pesitcides though...

... S R... :joint:

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
Neem is an insect growth regulator mechanism, so
“Resistance is futile”
. (Death to the BORG!)

Neem is rather commonly ingested both orally and topically in traditional medicine in some cultures around the planet and is sold in most vitamin/herbal catalogs that I've seen lately as supplements and preparations of many various sorts.
Various new generation "Body Lice" (Human and Animal...doggie shampoo) eradication preparations are using neem as the primary active ingredient.

I have cured Mange (microscopic subdermal mites) in dogs and had a new friend cure her long term case of scabies (essentially human mange) using the "safers brand "3 in 1" 70% Neem oil extract bought at a big box stores gardening department. The usuall tactic has been ancient 20 century like rituals involving highly toxic synthetic chemicals applied liberally and many times ineffectually directly to the skin (being due to built up tolerance/resistance to the commonly used chemicals by surviving subsequent generations.)
>>>>

Neem compounds bear no resemblance to synthetic pesticides.
They are composed only of carbon, oxygen and hydrogen and contain none of the chlorine, phosphorus, sulfur or nitrogen atoms found in synthetic chemicals.
Chemically neem resembles steroid compounds like cortisone and oral contraceptives, and there is a very different mode of action compared to the conventional “Wham, bam, thank you Maam!” of the toxic knockdowns.
In most cases neem extracts are not knockdown killers.
Instead they create hormonal disruption, which prevents the insect from feeding, breeding or metamorphosing.
It is a far more subtle process, which eventually prevents the insect from causing further damage.
It is a hormonal shutdown rather than an instant knockdown.

Neem Oil...Why it works and what it does
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

A TOXICOLOGICAL PERSPECTIVE OF NEEM

http://www.bytheplanet.com/Neem/WhatIsNeem/neemsafetoxic.htm

Numerous studies of possible toxicity resulted in a determination that leaf and bark are very low in toxicity, especially when taken orally (Khattak, 1985); (Sinnia, 1981, 1983); (Uwaifo, 1984); (Pillai and Santhakumari, 1984b); (Bhargara, 1970); (Rojanapo, 1985); (Debelmas and Hache, 1976) (Singh, 1987). But large doses of neem leaves taken internally have caused some side effects in some of the animals in which it was tested (Sinniah, 1983); (Okpanyi, 1981).

Extensive research has been conducted on neem oil extracts for regulatory agencies in several countries, including the United States, and has been found to be safe in limited dosage for short periods of time.

Tests on animals required by the Environmental Protection Agency that alcohol extracts of the seed produced no external irritation in rabbits and no toxic effects on mice when taken internally, even in very large amounts (Larson, 1987).

Some people taking neem oil internally experienced nausea and general discomfort (Chopra, 1965) which is the case with many of the compound containing oils.

Excessive consumption of raw neem oil has been implicated in reduced liver functioning (Thompson, 1978); (Okpanyi, 1981); (Bhide, 1958a)(Sinniah, 1983).

The toxic effects of neem oil consumption has been disputed (Rochanakij, 1985); (Larson, 1987) by some researchers that believe contamination with aflatoxin or inadvertent additions of the oil of the chinaberry tree, a related species to neem which known to be toxic, is the cause of the observed side effects observed (Quadri, 1984); (Jongen, 1983).
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I choose not to live in fear and will continue my ruthless battle against "the borg" as need be with my Neem oil extract and Dr. Bonners Peppermint soap concoctions.
One can most certainly always rinse off the leaves again,
(after an appropriate critter contact time/ absorption interval.)

Happy Gardening Ya'll!

IMB :)

Last edited:

raeky

but in an indoor growth environment where rain and UV light and such do not make contact with your plant you can't assume just because it's biogradeable that it will degrade to a safe-for-human-to-smoke form in a reasonable period of time and that the plant material it is applied to will be free of it or any byproducts of it.

Like it has been said, direct application of a pesticide should be considered the LAST resort when battling pests...