What's new

chlorine neutralizer

burningtree

Has anyone used chlorine and heavy metal neutralizer drops to solve the tap water problem?
http://www.pondcare.com/Products/Product.aspx?ProductID=24

beejium

just leave the water over night and you should be fine. also letting the water sit brings the temp up to room temp so you don't stress the plant with cold water. chlorine remover will likely mess up the pH or increase the salt content of the grow medium.

S

secondtry

To remove chloramine you should use ascorbic acid, just a tiny pinch. It also removes chlorine.

HTH

bakelite

I've been using Top Fin Tap water Dechlorinator, about 5 drops in every gallon. It's probably overkill. I know for a fact my town uses chloramine and that is what I use it for. I've read that chloramines are neutralized as soon as they come in contact with anything organic. I've also heard about using vitamin C as Secondtry suggested. I'll probably give that a shot when I run out of dechlorinator.
-bakelite

NUG-JUG

I've heard a pinch of earthworm castings in bubbling water helps neutralize chlorine faster. Also where I'm located there's is 4ppm of chloramines in my water. This is according to a Denver Water pdf from 2009.

Is bubbling sufficient to remove the 4ppm of chloramines?

If not is 4ppm enough to cause the herd hardship?

S

secondtry

Is bubbling sufficient to remove the 4ppm of chloramines?

No. Bubbling doesn't remove chloramines. Another IC member mentioned how just about any OM (organic matter) can cause the chloramines to be 'used up'; and that is correct AFAIK, basically the chloramines get 'used up' attacking the OM. However, I have not read any literature on the chemistry so I am less than sure that info is 100% correct.

I use a $5 pool test kit for chlorine (also shows chloramines). That way I can see that the chlorine/chlormines are gone (after adding the ascrobic acid) by the color of the water after the test. AA is very cheap, a $5 bottles lasts me like a half a year (or longer); you can get it at beer brewing shops or online.

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
I have some doubts that will remove chloramines, do you know if it will? The page only claims chlorine. The issue is that chloramines are becoming more widely used than chlorine.

Yes, it mentions it in the text to the right of the picture of the unit--
I would copy it, but it won't let me--
It says "Harmful Chloramines cannot be bubbled out, only filtered out"--

reckon

you need to remove/break the ammonia side chain's bond (double bond?), THEN the chloramine, is converted BACK to chlorine, and is now unstable, and will evaporate out.

what I don't know is what happens to the ammonia side chain, or how the fuck you're supposed to accomplish that, or if the "chlorine remover drops" do this.

Reverse Osmosis to the rescue

mad librettist

Veteran
Another IC member mentioned how just about any OM (organic matter) can cause the chloramines to be 'used up'; and that is correct AFAIK, basically the chloramines get 'used up' attacking the OM. However, I have not read any literature on the chemistry so I am less than sure that info is 100% correct.

That was me, Microbeman, and CT guy.

And yeah, it's 100% correct, and the reason chloramine is added to water in the first place. It oxidizes organic matter (as in E. coli or typhoid).

Anyone ever fill up a narrow mouth water bottle with well water? With treated water from home, it never gets stinky. Even if you leave it shut for weeks But with water from a well, watch out! In two days it will smell like a dog towel used and left in a plastic bag.

S

secondtry

Can you please show me references for that info? The source I know of where the OM info came from was the CT Yahoo group year/s ago, from a now banned member. Besides his writings I have not seen other info on the topic of adding OM. He is where I got this info from year/s ago, I didn't get it from you, CTguy or MM.

That is why I state I am not sure it's 100% accurate. Can you offer links showing why it's 100% accurate?

P.S. the IC member I was referring to was Nug-Nug.

Thanks

mad librettist

Veteran
it's sorta common knowledge you read about whenever an E. coli event happens.

also what I learned as a pool store clerk. OM in the pool means you have to add more chlorine.

and who knows where else. It's like asking me for a source showing CO2 dissolved in water is carbonic acid. I dunno man, look it up.

or just use your noggin. what is the purpose of adding chlorine/chloramine to drinking water? it kills microbes. what level of concentration is employed? depends on the microbial density. ergo, microbes, at the very least, neutralize chlorine.

how does ascorbic acid do it?

NUG-JUG

So mad librettist when I put a little EWC in my bubbling water the chloramines are used up on the microbes? That would make sense but are truly all the chloramines being neutralized, and does it matter?

Smoke_A_Lot

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Two things you could do.

1. Boil the water and let sit over night uncovered.

2. Use Chlorine\Chloramines remover used for fish tanks.

windsoft

What does bubbling water in the sunlight do? Just break down chlorine very well? I have read the ingredients in those fish tank things and they seem to be full of salts to me.

Smoke_A_Lot

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't think boiling removes chloramines..

I'm pretty sure it removes a good amount of things, especially after you boil it and you let it sit for the next 24 hours or so.

*EDIT* it's done for fish tanks also. it removes the bad stuff that kill the fish.

mad librettist

Veteran
So mad librettist when I put a little EWC in my bubbling water the chloramines are used up on the microbes? That would make sense but are truly all the chloramines being neutralized, and does it matter?

well this is just me using my noggin but:

1)amount of chlorine gas
2)amount of chloramines
3)amount of OM
4)amount of water
5)temperature
6)time

those are the factors I can think of that would affect neutralization. If you add organic matter, it will be attacked by chlorine/chloramine. (the reason we avoid it!) When the OM is oxidized, the chlorine ions are now bound up instead of free. Think bees vs. wasps. Chlorine only stings once.

So after you add it and wait I don't know yet how long (CT Guy is writing an article), you have neutralized chlorine and a certain amount of oxidized OM (including but not limited to carbohydrates, proteins, and whatever else found inside and outside microbes).

I figure if you just add more active humus after that is done, you are good to go.

NUG-JUG

I see so chloramines at 4ppm, which isn't a lot will be taken care of by a little OM? That's the simplest solution i've heard yet for the problem.