What's new

Brix Meter, anyone using one

G

Was wondering if anyone is using a Brix meter to see what the sugar content is in their plants? I would like to know more about the use of them. I'm thinking about adding one to my next grow. From, what i read on the units. It lets you know if your plant is up taking it nutz like they should. I'd like to hear from members that are using them.
Thanks and take care

guineapig

Veteran
brix for Gold......

brix for Gold......

this company is in the process of writing an article on Brixmeters but until then this is some pertinent information.....i saw one at the local shop and it looks like a cool tool indeed.....

The refractometer is an indispensable tool for Nutrition Farming™. This simple, robust instrument can utilise just a couple of drops of sap or juice to provide valuable data for crop management. It measures brix levels, (which are a measure of plant sugars, mineral and vitamin content), protein levels and TDS (Total Dissolved Solids).

The link between high brix levels and inherent pest and disease resistance has been conclusively established. Good brix levels (generally above 12) also ensure improved taste, longer shelf-life and better yields. High brix levels indicate good phosphorus levels in a plant , and a blurry dividing line on the brix reading scale can indicate food calcium levels in a plant.

Packaging
The refractometer comes in a high-density plastic case lined with contoured foam. Inside the case is a plastic transfer pipette and screwdriver for use when calibrating the instrument. Due to the value of this tool, it will be sent via registered post (normal postage + $2.00 for the first $100 in value + $1.00 for every $100 in value thereafter). Weight: 400 grams.

Features
The refractometer measures brix from 0-32o (Brix or degrees Brix is named after an early researcher in the field, Professor A.F.W. Brix who assessed the density of plant juices with a hydrometer).
This meter is manufactured in China and has an automatic temperature compensation feature (ATC).
Pocket-sized and lightweight.

Mode of Action
The solids bend the light as it passes through the sample that is placed on the viewing plate. The amount of bend or degree of rotation due to the sample relates to the reading on the scale seen through the eyepiece.

Generally plant sap levels above 8 are good and 12 excellent. Some commentators have theorised that there is no conclusive upper limit as, year after year, some growers have found that their brix levels can continue to increase.

Calibration
Rinse the glass surface and plastic cover flap with distilled or deionised water and wipe dry.
Place a few drops of distilled or deionised water on the glass surface and lower the plastic flap to flatten the water sample evenly over the viewing glass.
Look through the eyepiece and rotate the eyepiece to focus the viewing scale.
A horizontal line will be visible and should intersect with zero on the viewing scale.
If the line passes through the zero, then the unit is measuring zero and is calibrated and ready for use.
If the line does not run through the zero, then the plastic cover on the tuning screw should be removed (located on the top of the unit) and the adjusting screw turned either clockwise or anticlockwise to either lift or lower the horizontal line as required using the provided screwdriver. The tuning process is synonymous with zeroing a rifle scope.

Miscellaneous
Always measure brix at the same time of day, as readings will differ. For example, at midday, plant sap tends to be concentrated (due to evaporation) and brix readings will generally read higher.
Brix readings will fluctuate after applications of fertilisers, chemicals and irrigation.
Ideally a historical record should be developed over time by each user to help determine possible environmental influences, acceptable brix fluctuations and ideal upper levels in their particular situation. This also applies to those determining whether a fruit or vegetable is tasty.
Generally, brix readings will drop with low atmospheric pressure (eg. the onset of a storm).
Relying on published brix readings as guidelines can be problematic as often it is not stated whether the readings are derived from the plant sap or fruit juice (fruit juice readings tend to be much higher).
Clean the glass surface and plastic cover before and after every use with distilled water.
Store the unit in its case to prevent dust entering to focal tube.
This tool should never be dropped and should always be stored within the shock absorbent foam case when not is use.
Calibrate at least monthly to ensure the unit is "zeroed".
Ensure the unit is washed with deionised water and wiped dry between samples and after use.
Measuring the brix of a plants sap gives an immediate overview of the general health of a crop at any stage of production.
Measuring the brix of a fruit or vegetables juice can indicate the taste and potential shelf life of the produce after harvest.
Brix readings before and after a fertiliser application can help determine the suitability of different inputs, eg. if the brix rises (after 1-24 hours after application) then it can be considered suitable, if it stays the same or reduces, it would be considered not suitable at that time.
It has been widely assumed that calcium and phosphate are the key elements determining brix levels. However, recent research suggests that potassium can also play an important role.

GreatLakes THC

an Arthur P. Jacobs production
Veteran
Bump...

Bump...

Good thought GDW. I know that these have been used for a long time with fruits and since marijuana is a fruiting plant we should be able to apply its use here as well. I'd really like to hear from anyone using them as well. Anyone got anything to say.

GreatLakes THC

G

I thought it was a good question. The direction say to take a piece of fruit or leaf and test. I'm buying one and will use at my new location. You can bet i'll post results when the time comes. I'm sure someone is using one and would like to hear also.
Take care Lake

G

all the best grape grower's use them for finding the optimum time for harvest.if it can be adapted successfully it will be a great hurdle cleared in our quest for the best.we would be able to know the days of flowering for specific strains.also by knowing the optimum's for certain attributes of the strain;knowing the attributes of differing results from the meter could open up new avenues of research.I've wondered about brix meter's for awhile now.good luck goldDustwoman;keep us up on your findings

G

You can bet i'll do a full write up on the meter. Got alot of strains to grow next spring and hopefully this tool will help alot. Thanks for all the great post everyone.
Take care

Darkness

I've looked at these meters GDW and also DO Meters to make sure my reservoir has optimal O2 levels, wither they be in dirt, or hydro I think having high O2 levels can be a huge benefit to larger crops....

G

I just got a new Brix meter, can anyone tell me what range a happy plant would be? I took a reading on a plant that looks ok but has been thru hell and back I got a reading of 5. Now I just have to figure out what that means. :chin:

imnotcrazy

There is ALWAYS meaning to my madness ®
Veteran
^^ Readings between 8 and 12 are considered good. Readings above 12 are excellent.
I also want to try a Brix Tester in my grows

G

Thanks man! Does it matter what time you take the readings? So I got a 5 and it needs to be a 12 What do I do???/

I am using the Lucas Form now but it has only been a couple of days. :confused:

Xtbudda

Wow, this thing looks neat and sounds like it can be productive.
Like to see some results by someone who has one, and tried it throughout the grow.
Naturally, the sugar level on a 1 week flowering girl is gonna be different than a 7week girl. It would seem, its best use would be in the end trying to get the max sugar levels.
In early growth, once you get a reading, I would think if it lowers, then you know something is wrong. I am speculating here, but the present sugar level is not going to be conductive of what the plant is actually looking like, so this tool would tell us before visually seeing a difference in the growth and leaves, that there is a problem with the plant.
One would think that if you gave it a feeding and a short while later, that sugar level goes up, then you are on something.

I will have to research this more, as I could use it making wine too.

Xtbudda

I just read that Tomatoes have a Brix reading of 3-12. Considering that tomatoes are near this plant, this could be a starting point. Grapes are 8-24 Brix, So someone out there gotta know what cannibis range is.

imnotcrazy

There is ALWAYS meaning to my madness ®
Veteran
A five could indicate a problem or not enough light. You stated yourself the plants had a problem. If they were on the Lucas Formula for only a day or so monitor the plant(s) for several days and see if the readings go up. Watch the Rez also to see if they are taking up nutes or not. Use all of your tools together, EC meter PH tester and Brix Meter for the best results. Its just another tool in the arsenal, not the fix all. But I believe it would be easier to develop a specific feeding schedule for a strain by aming at a brix level you'd like to achieve for all of your strains where they all show healthy, vigourous growth patterns. Then work your nute profile for that particular strain until you reach the Desired Brix readings. You'd probably keep a much healither garden giving each plant what it wants and being able to translate it into a reading using the Brix Scale.

Xtbudda

fredfarts said:
Thanks man! Does it matter what time you take the readings?
fredferts have you been taking daily readings with this thing?
Has it changed in anyway? Are all your numbers for diff plants same?

Cmon tell us all about this thing.
Is there any one else out there, that has used this from start to finish?
Xtbudda...

G

Na man I have been in pain last coup days. I anit moved much :fsu:

I will try to get some more readings this week. :joint:

I've been interested in sugar refractometers for some time for this same purpose. I haven't been able to take a look at many other people's cannabis brix measurements but I think we need to start a central place for this kind of info as it is related to a technology that could be very helpful to our community IMO.

Latest posts

Latest posts