What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Making a planter/Flower Bed

Tonyton

This one is for the people out there that want
to know about planters or flower beds. This pictorial
is for mygrow, in wanting to know about how it works
or atleast how I did it and what works for me. The first
thing is I get some quality wood to make my box, cut wood to size and I measure
the wood by the width as this will be explained later in this
pictorial.
picture.php

picture.php

Then I measure the area that the box will be
seating in or ocupied space. My space is 47'' wide and 21" deep
so I made my beds 18" squared and eight inches deep. With those
dimissions I can get two boxes in there with finger space on
both sides. I take a 2 Mil 33 gallon trash bag and cut the botton
and one side. Spread it over the pushing down in the middle and sides making sure that the bag is in every corner evenly, take some duct tape and rap the trash bag to the
box. Cut the reast of the bag around the box that hang from the bottom of the duct tape that you don't need,it should look like this.

picture.php

Then you will need a piece of 2" pvc pipe 10" inch long, drill 1/4" holes in the first 2" from the bottom of the pvc pipe.
picture.php

Put a 2" layer of hydroton clay pellet on the bottom of the planter make sure that the pvc pipe is in the corner with the clay pellets around it.
picture.php

This is were I would put a plastic screen on top of the clay pellets for support but I don't think I'm going to need it this go around. So I just cut some poly-fil to size and a inch more so when you lay it in the planter the inch of poly will ride up the sides.

picture.php

picture.php

Fill the planter with your best soil mix making sure the soil don't get in the bottom thats what the extra inch of poly is for. Put your plant(s) in the soil and water to the measurments of your grow and this is how it will look like.
picture.php

When you transplant the plants to the planter, the first watering top feed to get the soil moist and to airate it to get the roots going. After that you can feed the rest of the feedings thru the pvc pipe. I water my planter once a week, by the 7 day to be watered again the soil is a little moist. This prevents pathogens and soil born fuguses and even prevents from getting white flies. Any questions I will be glade to answer them.

samba

Nice and simple.
You do sacrifice half your reservoir volume to hydroton
I would use pond liner if i were you...

Tonyton

The idea is to have root space at the bottom for air. When the plants start to take in water the root zone gets alot of air down there. You see the roots don't stop at the poly-fil, thats to keep the soil and the hydroton rocks seperate. The plant roots go thru the poly-fil and atatch its self to the hydroton rocks and take in all of the water underneth. You can see thru the pvc pipe an check on the water level to see if you are watering to much or to little, remember the idea is to feed once a week. The more air that get to your roots the more roots, the more roots and space for the roots to grow the bigger your plant will grow.

PS. About the pond liner, the trash bags that I use is the same thickness as a pond liner and cheaper to. An it handles well when shapping to the box.
Tonyton

Last edited:

Tonyton

PS. in my pictorial I forgot to add that on the first planters I made I put casters(Wheels) on the bottom for ease of movement, Thank you.

buddah

Life is one big grow........
Veteran
Nice man..we do it the same style....just a lil bigger...and with more pipes!!!