What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED GROW-OFF Part Deux: HG LED 205w vs. PS 180w

WizeWizo

Alrighty, so here we go....

The LED's: HGL's new 205w vs PS Jumbo 180w

Growing Method: Aero for veg, and working out the system for flowering at the moment. But will hopefully get some 2x2 aero trays worked out, providing I can find them and the manufacturer can get them here in time.

Space: Each light will be housed together in a Growlab 145 which measures 4'9"x4'9"x7'. So each light will have 28" of width to cover. Also just purchase a CO2 emitter today, so I will be running CO2 to the girls as well once I get a tank.

Nutrients: General Hydroponics Flora Series along with their additives, if I throw anything else into the mix I will make sure to let everyone know.

Strain: Afghan Kush. I think that we can all agree that it performed well last run under the HGL light with Irish's grow, and we all know the AKush that was under the PS light was a major runt. So hopin to eliminate some of the variables that Irish had in his face-off. I have choose to start off with 4 girls under each light and will either pull the weakest one or perhaps 2 plants and just flower the remaining strongest plants.

Please ask any questions you might have, as I am certain my blazed ass left something out. Sit back and enjoy the show, cuz pictures are coming right up....

Last edited by a moderator:

WizeWizo

Day 1

Day 1

Ton-O-Pic's to start....

Here's our working space Growlab 145

Jumbo 180. Hooked up to the watt meter and pulling anywhere from 159w-165w.

HG LED's 205w along with the 126w. The 205w pulled anywhere from 179-185w while hooked up to the watt meter.

Here's a side by side of the two LED's turned on. First picture is with no flash in auto mode, and second is with white balancing and flash.

Picture of the tent set up with lights on.

Sorry y'all, thought I had enough mylar to put a partition between the two lights, but that will have to wait a day or two. But I promise I will happen very quickly, as soon as I get to the Hydro store for some more mylar we're set.

All systems go!

The lil'Kushies under the Jumbo 180w

The lil'Kushies under the 205w. Sorry bout the picture, must have takin it without flash. I'll snag another one soon enough.

A look through the windows, sorry, I am in love with my new tent, hehe.... Went through some drama to get it, but very happy that everything is all set up and goin now.

Hope you all enjoyed the Pics and really looking forward to doing this demo.

Peace everyone

LEDGirl

Veteran
Looking forward to the test. Also, I think Irish used Hindu Kush ;)

Setup looks nice, although it's too bad they don't automatically give you a partition to go with the dual windows huh?

WizeWizo

Sweet to have all of you guys and gals on board. I really cant wait til things get poppin' around here as well.

Cammie I was remember reading through your thread and you were having troubles with your timer for your TAG system. I know that the timer you were using was a C.A.P brand, and that you were very dissatisfied with it as it kept malfunctioning. I have been a consumer of C.A.P products for years and have always had good experiences with their products. Anyways, I would like to suggest to you the timer that I have used for years on my aero systems. It's as basic as they come and it's ideal for aero gardens. It's a simple plug and play timer with a 1 min on and 4 mins off relay. You can't beat it, pricey, but you get what you pay for as you well know....

nnep

nice pics and setup so far, i'd separate the plants if at all possible though, or else people will flip out about the results and the whole thing will be for not. just my 2 cents

WizeWizo

Looking forward to the test. Also, I think Irish used Hindu Kush ;)

Setup looks nice, although it's too bad they don't automatically give you a partition to go with the dual windows huh?

Ye, sure do! But I'll get something between them today or tomorrow at the latest.

First!!!

Geez louise! Make sure you get that divider...

Way to be on it. Yes, yes, the divider is comin... lol

looks like a good start..

I wonder if any of the grow tent providers make a partitioned tent.

Yes, most of the 4x8 grow tents come with a partition to separate sides, though from what I hear from a few companies is none of them are light tight by any means. So if you want to run 2 cycles in one tent you have to have a good supply some duct tape to seal up light leaks between areas.

hazy

Veteran
Right on WW. Another led grow. It'll be interesting to see the two different types of leds against each other. I guess the HGled has a bit of a built in advantage, with 20 extra watts of leds.
I can't wait to see the rest of the led threads kick off. Blaze has some pics up in an album, but haven't seen his thread yet.

WizeWizo

Right on WW. Another led grow. It'll be interesting to see the two different types of leds against each other. I guess the HGled has a bit of a built in advantage, with 20 extra watts of leds.
I can't wait to see the rest of the led threads kick off. Blaze has some pics up in an album, but haven't seen his thread yet.

Ye, the HGL is going into the test with a 25w advantage this time as opposed to giving up 54w to the Jumbo last time. But there were just so many variable last test between the two. Even though PS is giving up watts this time, they assured me that they were still very very confident in their LED.

Side note: Just got back from the Hydro store pickin up some more diamond mylar film. So that will be goin up here today as soon as I get a chance today and snag some pictures for you all.....

WizeWizo

Figure some root shots from each side would be good, today is their third day in the buckets and are just startin to get acclimated and happy. I plan on taking root pics regularly along with updates. Roots as we all know are vital to plant production, you can have 2 plants the same size, same amount of bud sites and the plant with the bigger root system will always out yield the one with the smaller root system.

HG LED's plants

LEDGirl

Veteran
Cammie I was remember reading through your thread and you were having troubles with your timer for your TAG system.

I'm getting some Sentinel DRT-1 digital timers. The problem with 1 minute on intervals, is that they are far too long for our system. Once good root systems start to form, 15-20 second on times with 5 minute off times seem to cause explosive root growth (which just so happens to die the next day when the timer malfunctions). Needless to say I'll probably start my own grow over, or wait for some good clones and re-start it. Too much crap from that stupid CAP timer... I had two of them, neither functioned properly.

Latest posts

Latest posts