What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CO2 supercritical fluid extraction on the cheap

ZEROorDIE

well i wouldnt put it in the tank itself.

i have special tanks with on/off valves built in so it would make realeasing the CO2 easy.

i would have to make a setup to do the extraction but the tank is acheap smaller source than an industrial sized tank

osoloco69

I think that you my be able to pull many of the terpines, lemonine, asparagine, pinene and more viscous oils out of the product, but the weed will act like a wick and will do you no good. You would have better luck taking dried BHO and seperating the flavoring oils away from the THC. I'm not sure why one would want to do this as it will have a flavor that becomes less appealing the closer to pure THC you get. It will also have a lot closer high to a Marinol...you may need to consume cbd to enhance the effects. FWIW you should try taking BHO and those centerfuge tubes and doing the dry ice extraction with it...take the oils that fall out and put those on some schwagg and see if it magically tastes like the weed that the BHO was made from. This may very well be the future of "Blunt Helper". Imagine if people could get an oil additive that would give anybody's beasters the taste of OG, Diesel, Haze, etc.

well i wouldnt put it in the tank itself.

i have special tanks with on/off valves built in so it would make realeasing the CO2 easy.

i would have to make a setup to do the extraction but the tank is acheap smaller source than an industrial sized tank
anything new pics maybe of what you are workin with?? too bad wecant just use co2 dusters like in a bho

ZEROorDIE

anything new pics maybe of what you are workin with?? too bad wecant just use co2 dusters like in a bho

i dont have any trim or bud to experiment with right now as im taking a t-break to get a job and get my shit together

i was actually attempting to plan a setup similar to a bho extraction, except sealed. the co2 would shoot directly through some SS hosing to a sealed container with the bud/trim in it, which would then be heated but i dont have anything solid yet, sorry.

this may take some time as i have finals coming up and job interviews and such. i hate to keep you waiting but if i get to designing the system soon ill be sure to post up diagrams.

until then continue the quest for knowledge and be patient. i always come back:wave:

030-0202.jpg

thats the type of tank im talking about. its a 20oz co2 tank for a paintball gun and thew little black knob can release the co2 all at once which seems perfect for small scall extractions

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here is my simple minded design using liquid CO2 and heat to reach critical state.

GW

Surrender

What would happen if you plumbed in liquid CO2 from a tank, instead of butane, in a standard BHO extraction rig? Wouldn't be as efficient as a closed system but if it were as good as butane, and non-flammable...

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What would happen if you plumbed in liquid CO2 from a tank, instead of butane, in a standard BHO extraction rig? Wouldn't be as efficient as a closed system but if it were as good as butane, and non-flammable...

Liquid C02 at atmospheric pressure is commonly known as dry ice.

This is all theoretical as I have not done this. I am deeply knowledgable about chemistry though.

as long as you have the co2 as a liquid, it should work. pressurization is based on the ideal gas law usually but co2 is not an ideal gas.

Weight of the co2 is easier when using dry ice(way easier and cheaper than pressurizing co2 from a tank). now that you know what pressure you are going to obtain, look for a graph to see what mass of co2 you need to obtain that pressure in your vessel(add extra so it will extract for longer) explosions will not occur if you heat slowly or use maximum room temperature because of the release valve.

the equasion for known gas mass is as follows:
mass(in grams) x 0.08205(conversion factor for co2 at normal air pressure) x Temperature(in kelvin)= volume
Co2 is liquified at -78.5C at one atm, and triple point of -56.6C at 5.11 atmospheres of pressure.

step one: math to find minimum amount of dry ice to use (i would double this so you hve more time to do the extraction) and then put on neoprene gloves to prevent freeze drying your hands when handling the pressure cooker.

step two: insert dry ice and herb(contained in a tea strainer) into pressure cooker. no plant material on the bottom of the pressure cooker without a strainer or you wont extract it but have oily shake!

step three: after vessel is hissing, lift pressure cooker and tip pressure cooker toward one corner so the strainer is immersed in the liquid co2 for extraction on occasion(need not be continuous as this may affect the pressure control.). monitor temperature with the knowledge that there is only supercritical fluid for the extraction between -56.6C at 5.11 atms and 30C at 60atms. temperature control is obtained from using an infrared thermometer on the vessel.

step four: after extraction(cooker stops hissing), take off weight and tip the pressure cooker away from the strainer but do not let the strainer slide into remaining liquid.(if it does then tip away again so the co2 will sublimate and leave a puddle of oil not bothered by the strainer.

This is enough information to have for someone would give this a try. Add more experiential knowledge to my input would be groundbreaking IMO. Just use small amounts in case you end up with mush from the experience(shouldn't happen at room temp but you never know). I also don't have a pressure cooker, but remember the weight had different markings for different desired pressures. If someone could share a picture of a pressure cooker weight that would be very helpful in finding the maximum pressure a pressure cooker can hold. if it doesn't hold 60 atms at room temperature then there will only be liquid until the pressure needed to have liquid co2 is exceeded as the vessel warms. for example, if there is a maximum of 10 atms, the liquid evaporates and doesn't exist in liquid form above -35C.

Why do this? In my locale, chemicals used to produce any cannabis must be labelled with chemicals used. co2 sounds less scary than benzene, chloroform or hexane on a product label.

triple point graph link for specific temperatures/pressures for different phases of CO2. It is the graph plotted pressure vs temperature.

http://scifun.chem.wisc.edu/chemweek/pdf/CarbonDioxide.pdf

btw, extraction time can be lengthened by putting the pressure cooker in a loose lidded cooler that contains dry ice to slow the warming and allow a longer window of supercritical fluid.

Another warning is to do this in a ventilated area just in case. :blowbubbles:

Liam

Ok, first of all, the so called CO2 extracted oil you see in stores, I'm willing to bet my life... total lies. People are greedy, dispensaries naive, customers retarded/stoned.

A CO2 extraction system requires a lot of CO2 per 1cc of material, and cannot dissolve as much as butane, so that means multiple passes. To make this system yourself? Doubtful, do you really have thousands to buy just the basic parts? These systems are built by just a few companies in the world, they are the top of the line systems... not your average oil extraction technology!!!

If you want to make a lot, just do the same process as in the youtube video, but jumbo size everything, and use metal instead of glass. You'll probably be the only man on the planet making CO2 extracted cannabis oil. It won't be as good as a quick pass of CO2 though, as your soaking your weed instead of quickly passing it through, so you will not get clear oil.

PS: There are actually new solvents that are easy to use and have no impurities, I'd tell you what they are, but wheres the fun in that?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is all theoretical as I have not done this. I am deeply knowledgable about chemistry though.

as long as you have the co2 as a liquid, it should work. pressurization is based on the ideal gas law usually but co2 is not an ideal gas.

Weight of the co2 is easier when using dry ice(way easier and cheaper than pressurizing co2 from a tank). now that you know what pressure you are going to obtain, look for a graph to see what mass of co2 you need to obtain that pressure in your vessel(add extra so it will extract for longer) explosions will not occur if you heat slowly or use maximum room temperature because of the release valve.

the equasion for known gas mass is as follows:
mass(in grams) x 0.08205(conversion factor for co2 at normal air pressure) x Temperature(in kelvin)= volume
Co2 is liquified at -78.5C at one atm, and triple point of -56.6C at 5.11 atmospheres of pressure.

step one: math to find minimum amount of dry ice to use (i would double this so you hve more time to do the extraction) and then put on neoprene gloves to prevent freeze drying your hands when handling the pressure cooker.

step two: insert dry ice and herb(contained in a tea strainer) into pressure cooker. no plant material on the bottom of the pressure cooker without a strainer or you wont extract it but have oily shake!

step three: after vessel is hissing, lift pressure cooker and tip pressure cooker toward one corner so the strainer is immersed in the liquid co2 for extraction on occasion(need not be continuous as this may affect the pressure control.). monitor temperature with the knowledge that there is only supercritical fluid for the extraction between -56.6C at 5.11 atms and 30C at 60atms. temperature control is obtained from using an infrared thermometer on the vessel.

step four: after extraction(cooker stops hissing), take off weight and tip the pressure cooker away from the strainer but do not let the strainer slide into remaining liquid.(if it does then tip away again so the co2 will sublimate and leave a puddle of oil not bothered by the strainer.

This is enough information to have for someone would give this a try. Add more experiential knowledge to my input would be groundbreaking IMO. Just use small amounts in case you end up with mush from the experience(shouldn't happen at room temp but you never know). I also don't have a pressure cooker, but remember the weight had different markings for different desired pressures. If someone could share a picture of a pressure cooker weight that would be very helpful in finding the maximum pressure a pressure cooker can hold. if it doesn't hold 60 atms at room temperature then there will only be liquid until the pressure needed to have liquid co2 is exceeded as the vessel warms. for example, if there is a maximum of 10 atms, the liquid evaporates and doesn't exist in liquid form above -35C.

Why do this? In my locale, chemicals used to produce any cannabis must be labelled with chemicals used. co2 sounds less scary than benzene, chloroform or hexane on a product label.

CO2 becomes super critical in the neighborhood of 1100 psi and 89F. Most cookwear that I am aware of is rated for less pressure than that.