Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Outdoors > The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Thread Title Search
Click to visit Alchimia Grow Shop
Thread Closed
The growing large plants, outdoors, thread... Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-24-2009, 02:13 AM #1
Jenn

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Hello Tom

I was wondering if you could take the time and talk to us about your soil mix, perhaps a recipe you might use?

For example could you explain to us the amount of soil and mix you use for one of these containers you make. Also any idea of the size?

Thanks - Jenn

Old 08-24-2009, 09:04 PM #2
Ragnar

Very good

Thanks Tom

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:36 AM #3
FirstTracks
natural medicator

FirstTracks is a name known to allFirstTracks is a name known to allFirstTracks is a name known to allFirstTracks is a name known to allFirstTracks is a name known to allFirstTracks is a name known to allFirstTracks is a name known to allFirstTracks is a name known to allFirstTracks is a name known to allFirstTracks is a name known to allFirstTracks is a name known to all
wow! jenn, so happy you asked this question. have been thinking all day about getting on and looking for anywhere tom posted his mix. this solves some problems.

Tom: thanks fort this straightforward and easy to follow mix! Especially after re-reading about your huuuuge plants, I've just been thinking and thinking about what your soil mix could be. THanks for outloning the container size too.

WOuld it be safe to say that a container size you mentioned with this mix and appropriate airflow, feeding, and sunlight, and genetics could let someone end up with a 10 Lb plant?

Been thinking about searching for a big yielding super silver haze or afganhi/haze cross and shooting for a few nice large plants inside a greenhouse. If you happen to put out your SCCB or would consider a SCCB/haze cross, i'd be on that quicker than you can say boo.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:44 AM #4
Jenn

Thank you for the detailed answer Tom. Now if we could, lets discuss your containers. It appears that your containers have a six foot diameter and a depth of 18 inches.

Do you leave the bottom of the containers open to the ground below or do you use the black tarp to cover the bottom? Also have you used chicken wire or something of that nature to prevent animals from working their way into the containers from the bottom?

Could you also tell us what type of cage you use to form the container and what exactly is the black linning you use.

Thank you for the time - Jenn

Old 08-25-2009, 01:17 PM #5
FirstTracks
natural medicator

FirstTracks is a name known to allFirstTracks is a name known to allFirstTracks is a name known to allFirstTracks is a name known to allFirstTracks is a name known to allFirstTracks is a name known to allFirstTracks is a name known to allFirstTracks is a name known to allFirstTracks is a name known to allFirstTracks is a name known to allFirstTracks is a name known to all
just wanted to pop back in and ask if you're regularly using any nutrient teas or any kind of supplemental nutrients with that mix along the way? wondering specifically if this is a mix that you use for pretty much all the strains you grow or if its designed more for one of your favorites or something.

again, thanks for your time and the info Tom. It's much appreciated.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:48 PM #6
PaulaFloraFauna

wow! amazing pictures - i love mother nature

Old 08-25-2009, 11:42 PM #7
fisher15
classy grass

fisher15 is a glorious beacon of lightfisher15 is a glorious beacon of lightfisher15 is a glorious beacon of lightfisher15 is a glorious beacon of lightfisher15 is a glorious beacon of lightfisher15 is a glorious beacon of lightfisher15 is a glorious beacon of lightfisher15 is a glorious beacon of lightfisher15 is a glorious beacon of lightfisher15 is a glorious beacon of lightfisher15 is a glorious beacon of light
Great info, Tom. Thank you.

Must say I'm surprised by the amount of bone meal you add. 50# per planter? And bloom nutes as well...wow. Maybe I'll add more in future mixes and see how it goes.

I made planters this year in the manner you described, though mine are 5' across. Used landscape fabric that is kinda silver. High albedo, but I'm sure those roots still get warm.

0 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:27 AM #8
FirstTracks
natural medicator

Tom: what can I say other than a whopping thanks! I can't rep you anymore at the moment, but will spread whenever i can.

This forum is awesome I have to say. Not only does our community get access to information about your genetics, we also get a master grower to guide us along.

Props on not getting upset at me/editing out my post refferring to genetics from other sources. I know that can be a tricky/touchy issue with many breeders, but I really appreciated how you're not afraid to let people know what might work from other breeders as well.
Like I said before though, if you do get out something with some nice big potential again such as the crosses you mentioned in your previous post or even a newer version of SCCB or an SCCB/haze cross I, and expect many many others, would be all over it in an instant.

I'm not reinvesting in new genetics until november or so, and can wait that 12 weeks + for your haze, but whenever you release, if I have cash, I'll be down for buying up some stock.

Again, thanks so much for your knowledge, genetics, and overall contributions to the community.

way to get your breeder forum off to a strong start!

be well

~FT

Old 08-26-2009, 07:51 PM #9
Jenn

Tom can we switch over to plant protection

I see you use fencing to prevent animal attacks such as deer, but can you chime in on any outdoor insect soaps or something of that nature that you find very helpful in protecting your crop. A favorite perhaps?

Thanks - Jenn

Old 08-26-2009, 08:38 PM #10
Kiffen

Kiffen will become famous soon enough
This thread is already epic.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thread Closed