What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Greenhouses in ARID HOT/COL climates?!

OU812

Hi everyone, I posted this elsewhere days ago and never got a bite, so I thought I'd try here...

OK, so I've wanted to build a greenhouse FOREVER, however I have this little issue called OUR LOVELY CLIMATE!

I dig summer, love it more than anything even at 115F, and winter is brutally cold (yup, it snows and most nights all winter are well below freezing)
oh...and we get 75 mph winds pretty regularly.

Has anyone ever had success with a greenhouse in this type of an environment?? If so, I'd absolutely LOVE to hear your ideas...

Rose56

Hi, I have the hot and dry weather during the summers my winters are not as cold as yours though we get cold nights no snow temps typically run anywhere between 50-20 degrees F. In the summer as long as I have vents in the roof, and an electric fan going its no problem you just don't want them to be too young when the heat hits. I grow in my GH during the winter with CFLs added to keep them warmer and because our day light gets down to 10 hours. I have considered getting a heater in there maybe a radiator type. YOu also want to stick to smaller GHs because the bigger the GH that more difficult temp contreol can be.

OU812

Hi, I have the hot and dry weather during the summers my winters are not as cold as yours though we get cold nights no snow temps typically run anywhere between 50-20 degrees F. In the summer as long as I have vents in the roof, and an electric fan going its no problem you just don't want them to be too young when the heat hits. I grow in my GH during the winter with CFLs added to keep them warmer and because our day light gets down to 10 hours. I have considered getting a heater in there maybe a radiator type. YOu also want to stick to smaller GHs because the bigger the GH that more difficult temp contreol can be.

Can you tell me a little more about the construction of your greenhouse? I'd love to hear more!

phate

Veteran
i am moving next summer and doing 2 greenhouses in the same type of climate. roll up sides and shade cloths are important for those blistering hot days. and the roll up sides, along with the the powerfull blower fans will allow plenty of movement of air. also, misters are going to be used on the super hot days...

then towards the end of sept, a propane heater will be needed to get you through the nights till the end of oct. i will also have lights for the spring, and late fall. the day hours are less than 12 in oct, so lights will keep me at 12/12 in flower, and 18 hours+ in the spring.

hope that helps

pease

I've heard land in Arizona is fairly cheap and that there's lots of it for sale,,, might be moving that way in a handful of years ,,,subscribing

Internode

Where I am the summer temp gets up to 46C often enough. Winter not lower than -1C and usually not even that low. The main problem in winter is bud rot caused by lower temp and high relative humidity as a result.
I use my GH all year - basically I'm using the grow room for clones / early veg, then bring them into the GH to continue vegging, then outside as the summer comes in breathing fire.
It's more a matter of selecting appropriate strains. I grow indicas from early November to early May, the rest of the year it is pure sativa. I cannot keep indicas alive in midsummer.
Of course you need vents on the GH and I also use a 15" pedestal fan (blowing in through the door) and a 10" clip on fan for extra circulation.
Oh - not to forget - starting in March I have an old bed sheet draped over the top.