What's new

Room design advice

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
picture.php

This is a top down view of the bedroom I am using that is roughly 10' x 10'. On the left is my current layout, the purple is a divider wall, yellow is doors and green would be a black plastic wall. On the right is the proposed change of moving the wall sixteen inches to make the flower side larger.

I am a card holder in Oregon and that allows a person to grow 6 flowering plants and 18 veg, flowering is defined as having flowers or taller or wider than 12".

So onto my happy dilemma, my wife should be getting her card in the next few months and I need to figure out what I am going to do and would love some feed back from y'all.

The two options I came up with were I could move the wall as shown above and flower 6 and veg 6 without worrying about timing it to keep them under 12" or I could take the wall out and use the whole room to do 12 plants at a time.

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
Right now I am using an 8 bulb T5 bank to veg and 2x 400w CMH for flower and I am growing trees but that was mostly to keep it simple. I will be adding at least one more 400w CMH and would add more light if I go to one big room.

C

cyberwax

You should really add a hps to compensate for the lack of red lights in those cmh's.

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
I would also go with at least one HPS, the mixed spectrum should help your yield.

Moving the wall looks like a solid plan to me. If the requirement for a veg/flower plant is 12" can't you just bend larger vegging plants OVER? You could grow trees pretty easily and keep them all under 1' in height during veg if you wanted to.

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
They can't be taller or wider than 12"

I am probably going to add a 1000W HPS to the flower side anyway and would add 2 of them if I use the whole room.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
If size restrictions exist only for veg plants, the flower section should be the larger. Given the restriction is so severe, I'd consider the closet for veg and the room for flower. Actually, I'd put everything in the closet but, my level of paranoia wasn't the question.

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
Thank you FB, I am assuming you mean like the image below

Only issues I see with having it setup like this would be that the closet is 24" deep and T5 light bank is 26" wide, I might be able to angle the light so it would fit and do a stadium type setup. The other issue would be that I could only access the area while the flower room lights are on but that is not really a problem, I run my light schedule so it is most convenient for me anyway. Definitely food for thought.

picture.php

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
I spoke with my construction guy and he suggested we make the closet 12" larger as pictured below with the smaller area for veg.

picture.php

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Hadn't thought of the time restrictions my suggestion would lead to. Being "locked out" is no fun.

I just can't imagine 18 plants under 12 inches taking up any considerable space. If anything, you'll need to curb growth. While my first thought is to max the flower area, maybe that's backward thinking? Maybe the flower space would be better served if it weren't over half the space? Limiting flowering only to the space it needs frees up the entire room. Veg, clones, moms can go anywhere with plenty of storage and work space left over.

Are you old enough to remember ColorForms? They'd give you a drawing of the room and you'd fill it with precut chairs and people. I made scale cutouts of my work equipment years ago. When I change work spaces, I make a scale drawing of the new room and move my cut outs around until I have my new setup. I then match the real room to the "map".

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
I am really liking the first one FB and I am looking to expand the flower area so I think it would work really well. I am going to shoot this over to my construction guy and see what he thinks. Thanks again.

//EDIT// I want to expand the flower area mostly to have more room for tending, the Excel sheet I use it to scale, I should measure my crap and add it in

Colorforms were awesome, I had a farm one

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
FB has given you some great advice. I agree about the HPS light. It will make a significant difference.

I'm going to think out loud for a second correct me if I'm going in the wrong direction. If you are growing from clones the 18veg will be way more than you'll need to feed the 6 flower plants / prescription. If they are considering flower anything taller than 12in, then that cuts any kind of tree grow design out.

The law almost forces you into SOG, but it seems you need a few more scripts if you really want to fill that area out? My math is shaky now because it's New Years lol.

Here is a shot of 28 8in Indica dom plants in a 2x4 table under 8 T5's

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
Thanks everyone for the feedback, the first stage is done and we were able to move the existing wall and just extend it a little. That saved us a ton of work vs tear down and rebuild.

Looking into the room from outside at the veg area
picture.php

Looking from outside into the flower area
picture.php

The extension we built, already has drywall that is not pictured
picture.php

G

good drown

nice job. i also agree that 18 small plants wont take up much space. i have 12 in veg that are 1' in a 3x3 tent.

Latest posts

Latest posts