What's new

Norrath's Garden: DR120, 2x400watts, vertical

Norrath

picture.php

4 foot DR 120 tent, 2x 400w lumatek digi ballasts, 2x hortilux super hps bulbs, 8" axial fan with transitions inside a muffler box lined with soundproofing insulation. couple fans, 3 shelves and ducting we have a very efficient grow booth.

i LST the mothers and LST forward and across the pot in one direction to form a cluster of nodes out infront of the pot closer to the lamps.

i currently have: godbud, purple kush(i was told was the name, dont know if legit, THOUGH: purple, robust, hardy and hungry, average looking plant), seeds brought back from mexico to try out

i have a box for clones under t5's with heatpads and domes, and a motherbox with 3x42watt CFLs and fans and jazz. pictures are available upon request.

-pic as of 5/18/2010

Norrath

i already notice that i dont really like the height of the shelf, where the bulb shines on the plant, is simply too low, perhaps ill drop the shelves tomorrow..

hmmm must remember

opt1c

Veteran
metal halide for veg and hps for flower; don't know how easy it is to get to the bulbs but a mh bulb won't hurt in veg that's for sure

also, it's probably just me, but i don't like my ballasts on the floor; i'll use anything that won't burn to get em an inch or so off the ground just incase of an accidental spill or flood

u can probably toss em on the top of your tent; those 400s don't get that hot

Looking real good. I like the simple shelves that could be easily moved....

I also dig the tabletop oscillating fan hung upside down! Little things like that really rock... "No, Air King, we'd rather not pay twice as much for your oscillating fan b/c it hangs from a wall!"

Good use of light this stuff oughta be blowin up soon!

Norrath

metal halide for veg and hps for flower; don't know how easy it is to get to the bulbs but a mh bulb won't hurt in veg that's for sure

also, it's probably just me, but i don't like my ballasts on the floor; i'll use anything that won't burn to get em an inch or so off the ground just incase of an accidental spill or flood

u can probably toss em on the top of your tent; those 400s don't get that hot
i wonder if i should put in 1 MH and keep 1 HPS....for the varying types of light for the plants' needs.. as ive seen done before. The hydroshops all say HPS, obviously, it's cookie cutter knowledge to them, but in the real world, im still humming and harring over others' results with using both..

the ballasts are leaning up against the wall resting on top of the baseboard moulding, so there is about 2 inch gap underneath em, doesnt look so, but is working pretty well. I too do not like them down there, but theyre warm to the touch, and not fully laden/flesh upon the ground. Not much chance of a spill, but i take your advice and put it on the top of my look at list,

Hey, nice setup!

Vertical grows are quite intriguing. Good use of space.
thanks mate! it was a single 400w horizontal before, just under half pound worth, almost all of it consumed up:( Bigger pots though, ive gone down a few notches to 2gals

my goal is 2lbs. I would be looking for more if i hadn't been accosted lately with so many security flaws and things simply out of my control, playing havoc with my plants, and issues with pests and temperature and light leaks, and other human's stupidity. Let's say strict photoperiod means nothing to other people. Barely taking back the reigns, and im surprised the cannabis plants are still green, lol. If it werent a weed, it would be dead by now.

Looking real good. I like the simple shelves that could be easily moved....

I also dig the tabletop oscillating fan hung upside down! Little things like that really rock... "No, Air King, we'd rather not pay twice as much for your oscillating fan b/c it hangs from a wall!"

Good use of light this stuff oughta be blowin up soon!

lololo i was in homedepot and had to be really honest with the guy, 150$ for a standing fan? i dont care if it comes with a remote control, that's ridiculous. (and i have to build it, so not paying labour to build it for me) those square elongated standing fans are also just under 100$, and hydroponics shops arent any better.

The fan laying on the ground elevated by an aluminum spacer was found in the alley...WHO would throw out such a wonderful piece of kit?!?!

ive had that fan sitting around for awhile, the fan is probably so happy to be serving its tent in one of the most important positions:p

those shelves are able to come down and fold up into nothing with only a few pertinent screws. It was a bit of last minute/scrounging for cheap wood/wood i wouldnt have to cut much for those pieces, i believe theyre only 5" wide, which makes the pots on the corners balance VERY precariously.

i have a wand/sump pump to water far away, and have a few rubbermaid bins i put small fencing in to support the pots and allow space for them to drain into the rubbermaid bin. 2 large bins hold 10x2gal pots and definately hold enough runoff water for ALL the plants, then i simply dump that runoff into the bathtub, soil particles and all, afterwards. Wish i had a basement:/

M

mrsrixon

Looking great so far! Who's ass is that in your avatar picture. I find my self staring at that as much as the plants lol! Sweet assets

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
HI

HI

Hows it working out???
My experience is that MH makes leafier (yuk !) buds.

This run I will use wider shelves.
Coming soon!

Good luck, I'll be checking this one out!

SD :joint:

nnep

very interesting setup man, never thought of building a shelf system and doing a vert in a tent, i imagine that you are going to be absolutely jam packed in there soon haha.

as for lighting, for veg i would do both MH, then for transition to flower i would do MH + HPS, then 2 weeks into flower double HPS.

that's just me of course :)

Norrath

Every time I see a vertical I want to do one. Just looks so much easier to access the plants.

yeah man, no leaning waaaay over or fighting through a jungle. I just set my friend's closet up with some shelves along the sides, it's just better=)

Looking good Norrath, i'll watch from back here,

cheers,

Red.
sure thing, thanks for dropping by:biggrin:

Hows it working out???
My experience is that MH makes leafier (yuk !) buds.

This run I will use wider shelves.
Coming soon!

Good luck, I'll be checking this one out!

SD :joint:
welcome to my grow diary progenitor of this idea:)
yeah i have MHs on the side if i need to do some vegging, ill stick to HPS for flowering methinks.

I too think i will use wider shelves next time as this run is more of a test fit than anything. The shelves are wood siding cut to size, 5 inch wide...would like minimum 6" next time.

also found me some tropf blumats locally for 6$CAN each if i buy all 45...hope no one else locally goes to this guy for them, i want to save some money to buy all he has.:dance013:

coolio sunnydog, ill be checking out your next go, thanks ya'll for checking on my grow.

The plants havent changed much, and ill be moving soon...again...so probably a big delay followed by a big update, pics included. howzat?

til next time! :smokeit:

Norrath

thanks for the kind words mateys! yarr i be throwing out the karma today:)

ill update into this reply tonight when the lights are on, i should probably feed them too, it's been quite the void between waterings...

I usually have a perpetual grow going with a clonebox, mothercab, and hobbybox (throw away plants) but at moment dont feel naiive enough to run the whole thing with all the plants in teh tent with certain laws and judges afoot. maybe when im more settled ill run it all but recently stepped back from growers' eyes and looked at what i had created, and said to myself, "this is a fucking factory" If the potential is there to be caught, that's the last thing i want to be conveyed, amirite? I can try to BS my way out of needing 45-50 plants but the other...nay friend. 2risqué
wisemanoncesaid... said:
...disagree on the 201 plants bit. There is no excuse to be going over that number by anyone for any reason - unless they mean to.

That is a firm line in the sand even under the current unamended Bill. It means the purposes are for trafficking, period.

I don't judge people who choose to grow for money. But there is nobody engaged in a personal grow who is growing 201 plants.
picture.php

anyways enough ranting. pictures later:whistling:

-----------------------
Not the most pleasing of waterings... I found a lot of fan leafs that were crispy and worn somehow. It looks like a disease but id be quick to blame humidity. I threw my small dehuey into the tent, but gives off hot air creating 90F temps in the tent; i guess the only saving grace is it's low RH high temp...which isnt as bad as high humidity high temp:D

the plants dont seem too ill effected over the heat. Will test some things out, but im not liking the dehuey INSIDE the tent for this very reason - i just got the temps right too, bummer.

PHd my water for once, water is usually spot on 6 but found it to be a tad lacking in the 5.8 region today, figured id do something about it instead of shrugging it off. Im really thinking about buying the tropf blumats available to me at 6 bucks per. I think it's a steal for waht id be getting...

repotted some small-uns into 2gals to join in the tent party below...it's getting really REALLY crowded in there, i even have one pot stacked inbetween 2 on the ground, lol.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Hi,N. :biggrin:

I would not run a de-hu, they make tons of heat, evaporating tons of water in a continuous bad feedback loop.
And are power pigs.

I think the areas where the air flow is restricted are the source of potential issues.

When I re-do the shelves, I am going to use 11" wide shelves, as they are the width of a standard garden tray.
When you convert to B-M's ,you will need some thing to catch runoff, and I have found the garden trays to be best.(make sure they are not the perforated ones,LOL!).

Best wishes,
SD:joint:

Norrath

hmmm, that one small male i found, i figure was still developing and id be certain of its sex soon, but actually was too late in actuality, because it dropped its balls and "convinced" my females...

i am a sad panda today.

edit - bought some godbud and have 6 seedlings going thus far

Latest posts

Latest posts