What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MaxiBloom in DWC?

slowandeasy

Veteran
Is anyone else using MaxiBloom in DWC? Have been using for a few weeks, and everything was great...until the past few days. Have had pH 5.8-6.1 the past week and the plants are 2-3 weeks 12/12. Plants looked like starting to get cal-mag def, and kinda look overnuted.

EC has been about 1.8, and just do addbacks to keep same EC. So, a Sour Bubble girl looks overnuted all of the sudden...but levels have been stable. So I was just wondering what levels people are using with MaxiBloom. Is anyone using it from seed to harvest? What type of pH does everyone like to run? It starts of very low with RO water. Any advice? Thanks.

b8man

Veteran
I don't use it in DWC, but in pure coco I also get MG + Cal problems at the beginning of flowering using Maxibloom. I don't have access to Calmag, but if I did that is what I'd use to deal with it. The def only seems to be for the first half of flowering.

EC 1.8 is a bit high though isn't it? I burn my C99s if I go past EC 1.4 and that's hand watering.

slowandeasy

Veteran
Well the plants looked fine for 2 weeks being fed that strength. 1.8-2.0 EC of Maxi is supposed to be the Lucas method. Of course every strain is different. Thing is they looked excellent for 2 weeks on the same level. Of course I lowered the EC, and monitor levels daily.

They may have gotten too close to the light, and that freaked them out. I have everything perfect temp wise, pH is 6.0 and lowered EC to 1.4-1.6. Will see how they look in a few days.

H

headfortrinity

I believe that your cal mag problem is due to high ph, your ph should be between 5.5 and 5.8 for hydro DWC. I'd run them at 1.5 ec for a while until you see improvement then go up slowly from there. I've noticed that maxibloom will take about 24 hours to dissolve thoroughly into water, but it is a very pure fertilizer shouldn't take much ph adjuster to keep strait.

Here are three RDWC tomatoes grown with maxibloom in a greenhouse, I had to chop them back every week because the gh is only 5 feet wide.I'm going to try floramato next year.

slowandeasy

Veteran
I believe that your cal mag problem is due to high ph, your ph should be between 5.5 and 5.8 for hydro DWC. I'd run them at 1.5 ec for a while until you see improvement then go up slowly from there. I've noticed that maxibloom will take about 24 hours to dissolve thoroughly into water, but it is a very pure fertilizer shouldn't take much ph adjuster to keep strait.

Here are three RDWC tomatoes grown with maxibloom in a greenhouse, I had to chop them back every week because the gh is only 5 feet wide.I'm going to try floramato next year.

pH was at 5.7-5.8, when things started looking bad. I upped the pH to 6.0 myself last night, plants take more mag over 6.0 The pH has been between 5.6 and 5.9 for 2 weeks, and then started looking like a cal mag def was starting. I lowered the EC to 1.5 last night and adjusted pH up to 6.0 for mag uptake. pH stays very stable.

G

Guest 18340

Are you using RO or tap? I use Maxibloom and tap in straight coco and never get a cal/mag def. Also ph to 6.

Stone

Hey slowandeasy,

I use maxi bloom in coco along w/ PBP &Hydroplex.
Added at .5-1.5g/L plus heavy additives and also need a LOT of cal/mag supplementation.
How you likin' that bubble? I love that plant...
She's one of my top to aquire, I wish BOG would get on that!:)

-Stone

slowandeasy

Veteran
Using RO water, which is why I pHed it to 6.0 once I saw slight cal mag def. Now a few days later she looks sad. First time using Maxi and first time growing Sour Bubble. The plants looked amazing for a couple of weeks, then all of the sudden they look kinda nute burned and have a def. Maybe light stress from 400 watter freaked her out also, but things went different fast.

I use RO water, but once some clones take I am going to do a side by side with tap. Just not sure what is wrong, but would be worth a try. EC did not go up at all, and pH stays pretty stable. Small rez was changed out yesterday and EC level brought down. Lights are further away, so we shall see how they look in a few days.

G

Guest 18340

No matter what nutes I use, be it GH flora series or Maxibloom, I ALWAYS get a cal/mag def at the onset of flowering. When I switched to tap, the defs stopped.
I turned a friend on to Maxibloom and tap and he is now using it exclusively, with nary a def in site.

slowandeasy

Veteran
Yeah, once a few clones take root I will try tap water. Gonna ride it out for a week and see how things go. They will live, and get better. First round with new nutes, will just take a tweaking here and there I suppose.

humble1

crazaer at overgrow 2.0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
a. get some cal/mag+ if you think that's the issue
b. dump as much of the res as you can and refill with brand new nutes @ desired strength. i thought lucas did 1/2 strength addbacks, not up to desired ppm.
c. if you can't afford cal/mag+ then try epsom salts. i used them w/floranova grow/bloom and never had probs.
d. if you aren't already dissolving you maxibloom before adding it to your res, you really should start. i take an old juice bottle (1/2 gal or so) and add 3/4 full with hottest possible tap water before adding dry ferts and shaking until all crystals are gone. give it a try.
good luck!

slowandeasy

Veteran
Lucas method is a constant level. You can also add just water, then dump res after a week or 2. I shake maxi bloom in jug before adding to rez, it is mixed pretty well. I use RO water, but may switch to tap. If you use hot water, you must let it cool before using in rez. I could buy cal mag, but have never had to use it before and really do not want to start. would rather try tap water first.

Will see how they look in a few days, they are not that bad...just never used Maxi before, so I wanted some others opinions. Mostly Coco people responding, so it must be working well in Coco. I am sure things will be fine, just want the best for my ladies!!

Stone

I'm in coco also, and you really will need some sort of a cal/mag boost.
If you can get that with tap water, sweet.
Hydrated Lime and Epsom Salt will get it done, too.

the 45 king

I usually just top them with water instead of adding more nutes. I also agree with dissolving the powder in hot water.