What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Green Smokes Micro SOG

Green Smoke

The DrBud Method - REDUCED!

After lurking for over a year, I am finaly posting some of what I have learned on these forums. Thanks go out to all of you posters who have shared what you know so that I may grow my own.

I have modified an old nightstand into a grow cab that is smaller than I would like, but it is what it is. Inside, I keep bonsai moms on one side, while flowering clones on the other.

Some cab pics

Some Stats:
The mother chamber:
9" wide x 11" deep
4 15w 5600k cfl's (60 watts)
1 80mm cpu fan for circulation
1 80mm cpu fan for exhaust

The flower chamber:
13" wide x 11" deep
8 23w 2700k cfl's (184 watts)
2 80mm cpu fans for circulation
1 4" fan gutted from an old air purifier for exhaust (There were no details on this fan so I have no idea about rpm or cfm)

The medium is compost, perlite and pete moss all bought at Wally-World. I use GH Flora Nova Bloom mixed in straight tap water. I dunk em every 2-3 days. Moms get very little nutes or water to keep them from growing too fast.

There's not alot of head room in this thing (15") so I have been learning the do's and don'ts about LST and super cropping. Also, I use a smaller pot than DrBud. Instead of the 20oz. soda bottle, I use these 15oz. juice bottles in hopes of keeping the size down.

I have had success by folding the main stem about 2-3 weeks into flowering. Check this out

the pic on the left was harvested yesterday, and in the pic on the right you can see how it was pinched and folded. Plants are so resilient aren't they?

I have given up on bubble cloners and humidity domes because I'm so lazy and I don't have room for cloning. I just take a clipping, dip it in hormone and plant it in a juice bottle. So far I'm 10 for 10 doing this. I was giving them 2-3 weeks veg time in the mom side before moving them to flower, but not anymore. Starting now I am putting em straight into flower. Now, a clipping sprouts roots and pistals all at the same time.

Which brings us to the subject of this thread, we'll be following the progress of this little gal as she blossoms into womanhood.

These pics were taken just short of 4 weeks after I planted the clipping and put it straight under 12/12 light. I'm keeping it propped up right at the lights like blynx does. I'll lower it more and more as it grows.

One week later (today) and the same plant looks like this

Will she stay under 15" or will I have to super crop it? Will it yeild the same as the plants I vegged and then had to fold? The answer to these questions and more are comming up in the next exciting episode of Green Smoke's Micro SOG. :joint:

Crake

Awesome work man. What strain is that and how do you keep it so stout with such a nice cola?

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Very cool bro. I might give the folding trick a shot one day. That's stoner ingenuity at it's best.

Green Smoke

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Crake, the strain is unknown because it's bagseed. Once I actualy get good at this and can run a good perpetual grow I'll invest in a strain known to stay short. For now, we can call it BlackBarry since I got the bag from a black dude named Barry.

Vermi, the lights are pre wired. They are bathroom vanity light bars that I gutted as shown here

They are already daisy chained so it's not a problem to wire a lamp cord to the lead. I drilled a few holes and sqeezed the sockets closer together. Then I took a hacksaw and cut the metal bar to the length I needed. These things are pretty cheap and they come in arrays of 3, 4, 6, 8, whatever. Check Lowes next time you're there, they don't cost much.

Lyndale, 15" is from the floor to the bottom of the lights. Looking at some of blynx's pics, he can't have too much more than that and look what he's done.

Updates will be weekly, I'm adding a new clipping every week. There are 5 clippings in flower as of yesterday. Stay tuned.:joint:

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
I think I'm gonna have to ditch my bubble cloner too and just go with gel and dirt like you do. damned noisy little thing! Does it save you any time on clones since you don't have to go from bubble cloner to dirt, then wait for more roots to appear?

Green Smoke

I don't think so. They look like ass for about 2 weeks and then some time in the third week they just start growing. Once they do take root, they grow pretty fast over the next 2 weeks.

immortal

very nice micro grow you've put together i am very excited to see your results. How much did you yield on the plant that you folded? How many plants have you harvested so far and what is youre average yield at this point. Good luck i look forward to seeing alot more from you in the future.

Green Smoke

very nice micro grow you've put together i am very excited to see your results. How much did you yield on the plant that you folded? How many plants have you harvested so far and what is youre average yield at this point. Good luck i look forward to seeing alot more from you in the future.

I have no scales so I can't report on yields, at least not by weight. I've harvested 6 other plants so far, and all but 1 yielded more than the one in the pic(by volume). They filled up 2 mason jars if that's any indication. The one in the pic is what I consider my first real effort. The others were me learning how to grow in this cab and they were not very tasty. I finaly made cannabutter from them.

The plan is to keep adding one a week and get a perpetual grow going. Once I got it how I want it, I'll get some good seeds and step it up a notch.

Green Smoke

UPDATE

UPDATE

Well, it's been a week and our little girl is growing up. Despite all my efforts to kill it through ph stupidity, she lives and grows.

There are buds begining at all internodes even though she is only 4" tall.

The cab is slowly filling up as I add a new clipping every week.

It's now 6 weeks since I clipped and planted her. I wonder if she will outgrow the cab or if she will stop well short. There are lots of roots visible at the bottom of the bottle, I think she's gonna stretch more. If this works, then I have a way to grow within my 15" limit. If not, then I can always go back to vegging and folding. BTW, the plant I harvested last week (the folded one) tastes pretty damn good, and thumps my mellon just fine. It was a very stoned new years at my house. Not bad for bag seed eh?

More to come, next week.
Peace

poina

Green,
Great job man, innovative and nice use of available materials!
Sorry for the opinionated bullshit thrown your way when it was never asked for, even when you explained.
Keep up the great work!

P

Paranoid one

Looks good man!
I'll keep my eyes open for a future update!

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Man, sleep one night and see what happens.

:angrymod: WARNING!

Anyone who's name appears next to a deleted post above, keep it clean or stay out! This is not a request! Any newcomer wants to start smack, shut up and keep moving!