Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Grow It! > Growers Forums > Indoor Grows - Soil > should plants in vertical grow be rotated?

Thread Title Search    
Buy Cannabis Seeds at Seed Boutique
 should plants in vertical grow be rotated? Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
cosmiccowboy

cosmiccowboy will become famous soon enoughcosmiccowboy will become famous soon enough
should plants in vertical grow be rotated?

are you better off to just let them stay on one side?..does moving them around make for smaller buds?
cosmiccowboy jest offline   Quote

Old 12-15-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
HappyDog

Rotate 'em till it's a pita then tie to something. Moving the plant is like roasting a hotdog, rotating it to help it finish evenly on all sides. Mother Nature does it by the sun rising in the east and setting west. If you want back side development run some florescent tubes on the wall. Be sure to use the clear plastic bulb covers. HD.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:48 PM   #3
OjoRojo420
Feeling good is good enough.

OjoRojo420 is a survivorOjoRojo420 is a survivorOjoRojo420 is a survivorOjoRojo420 is a survivorOjoRojo420 is a survivorOjoRojo420 is a survivorOjoRojo420 is a survivorOjoRojo420 is a survivorOjoRojo420 is a survivorOjoRojo420 is a survivorOjoRojo420 is a survivor
There are two schools of thought on this subject:

1) Rotate, nicely explained by HappyDog.

2) Let them be. This one says that you will always have popcorn in the inner area of plants.

Usually, growers place the plant close to a reflective surface and let the plant grow towards the vertical light.

My two cents:

Now, how about a vertical / scrog on wheels for each pot.

Like a "L" shaped base/scrog frame on coasters so it can be moved around. Unit height and width can be tailor to suit lamp type and room.

Hang the 600W, surround it with at least 4 panels and let the plants grow and fill up the mesh.

And you have a vert/scrog on wheels!
OjoRojo420 jest offline   Quote

Old 12-15-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
Bush Dr
Painting the picture of Dorian Gray

Bush Dr is a splendid one to beholdBush Dr is a splendid one to beholdBush Dr is a splendid one to beholdBush Dr is a splendid one to beholdBush Dr is a splendid one to beholdBush Dr is a splendid one to beholdBush Dr is a splendid one to behold
As soon as they go 12/12 leave them ..... the buds will be airy if you keep rotating it

As OjoRo says put reflective sides on the cab .... 4ft square is the perfect shape to take 4 plants around a 600

This ain't no ordinary herb I'm smoking - Fantan Mojah

Supermoto for that eXtra buzz
Bush Dr jest offline   Quote

Old 12-15-2009, 05:06 PM   #5
HappyDog

They become airy because they need to "cook a little longer". I think rotating isn't really necessary if you harvest the colas and let the rest go for a while longer.
Scroggin' sounds pretty swell.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
OjoRojo420

OjoRojo420 is a survivorOjoRojo420 is a survivorOjoRojo420 is a survivorOjoRojo420 is a survivorOjoRojo420 is a survivorOjoRojo420 is a survivorOjoRojo420 is a survivorOjoRojo420 is a survivorOjoRojo420 is a survivorOjoRojo420 is a survivorOjoRojo420 is a survivor
Walls of Green!

I should call it.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #7
l33t
organic farmer

l33t is a splendid one to beholdl33t is a splendid one to beholdl33t is a splendid one to beholdl33t is a splendid one to beholdl33t is a splendid one to beholdl33t is a splendid one to beholdl33t is a splendid one to behold
by rotating plants you can give em more light without seeing any light stress probs on leaves.

On the other hand some plants seem to dislike being moved around/rotated and they can show stress signs.
l33t jest offline   Quote

Old 12-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #8
Mr. Greengenes

Mr. Greengenes has much to be proud ofMr. Greengenes has much to be proud ofMr. Greengenes has much to be proud ofMr. Greengenes has much to be proud ofMr. Greengenes has much to be proud ofMr. Greengenes has much to be proud ofMr. Greengenes has much to be proud ofMr. Greengenes has much to be proud ofMr. Greengenes has much to be proud ofMr. Greengenes has much to be proud of
Rotating or moving forces the plant to spend more time with it's leaves mis-aligned to the light. That's why people find a lower yield, or 'airy' buds. I'm amazed that such products like those automatic rotating devices actually sell. Rub a few brain cells together and it's obvious, really.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #9
HappyDog

Thats why sog is so attractive. Build a solid plant canopy w/ no side branches and the light is easily spread and none are in the shade and you grow only colas. the major drawback is the high plant count and the expense of rockwool.
No matter how you slice it there is only so much coming out of any garden. Effort + Time + Expense= Yield.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:57 PM   #10
SuperConductor

SuperConductor has much to be proud ofSuperConductor has much to be proud ofSuperConductor has much to be proud ofSuperConductor has much to be proud ofSuperConductor has much to be proud ofSuperConductor has much to be proud ofSuperConductor has much to be proud ofSuperConductor has much to be proud ofSuperConductor has much to be proud ofSuperConductor has much to be proud of
Phototropism uses energy that could be going to producing buds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phototropism

it also means that leafs which get little light will stretch to get more if left and not turned.

"You shouldn't say what you don't know, you shouldn't reap what you never sow" - Wayne Smith

One thing I'm sure of is I know nothing
SuperConductor jest offline   Quote

Old 12-16-2009, 12:56 AM   #11
cosmiccowboy

cosmiccowboy will become famous soon enoughcosmiccowboy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by OjoRojo420 View Post
There are two schools of thought on this subject:

1) Rotate, nicely explained by HappyDog.

2) Let them be. This one says that you will always have popcorn in the inner area of plants.

Usually, growers place the plant close to a reflective surface and let the plant grow towards the vertical light.

My two cents:

Now, how about a vertical / scrog on wheels for each pot.

Like a "L" shaped base/scrog frame on coasters so it can be moved around. Unit height and width can be tailor to suit lamp type and room.

Hang the 600W, surround it with at least 4 panels and let the plants grow and fill up the mesh.

And you have a vert/scrog on wheels!
do you have a picture of somethin like this?...thanks a lot to everybody for suggestions.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:43 PM   #12
OjoRojo420

Hello,

It is my policy to avoid pictures.

But here is some info:

Base: 1/2" plywood, able to fit pot, drainage pot (essential for flushing) and Scrog frame.
Coasters are screwed to the base.

Frame: I prefer to use 2"x1" wood and staple the mesh on it. Remember it is a "L" design in which the lower part of the "L" attaches to the Base.

The rest is the same as SCROG, just vertical.

For instance, lets say you've got 1 600W HPS hanging vertically. You can surround the bulb with frames that are 1 meter wide by 1.75 mts tall.

Four of those units can surround the bulb.

You must adapt to your growing conditions and bulb wattage.

PM if more info is needed.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:12 AM   #13
cosmiccowboy

ojo,i sent you a message.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:44 AM   #14
FreezerBoy
Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training

FreezerBoy is a survivorFreezerBoy is a survivorFreezerBoy is a survivorFreezerBoy is a survivorFreezerBoy is a survivorFreezerBoy is a survivorFreezerBoy is a survivorFreezerBoy is a survivorFreezerBoy is a survivorFreezerBoy is a survivorFreezerBoy is a survivor
When I grew outdoors, the north side of the plant lived in shadow with no direct light at all. We never threw out the north side of the plant.
FreezerBoy jest offline   Quote

Old 12-17-2009, 05:17 AM   #15
cosmiccowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezerBoy View Post
When I grew outdoors, the north side of the plant lived in shadow with no direct light at all. We never threw out the north side of the plant.
that says it all right there.