What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Difference between an M59 E and M59 S Bulb/Ballast rating?

ballplayer 2

Hey guys, looking for a little tech help here. It is time for me to replace one of my bulbs. I am currently using a Sunmaster Warm Deluxe Bulb. The Warm Deluxe has a bulb shape of ED 37, and a ballast rating of M59 E. I am looking to buy a regular cheapie bulb to hold me over for a little bit. The Bulb that I am thinking of purchasing has the same ED37 Shape. However, the ballast rating is M59 S. I was wondering if the M59 S would be able to replace my current M59 E bulb. The bulb will be burning in a horizontal system. Here's hoping that it will be ok since the M59's match up.

Thanks very much for the help all. BP.

ballplayer 2

Bump. From what I read online it seems like this would be alright, just want to make sure. I was hoping there might be some electrical experts here who would know for sure.

Maybe this is a stupid question? I dont know?

Thanks for your help.

Balance

Hi BP,

M59 is a 400watt Quartz Metal Hallide. H33 is 400 watt Mercury Vapor. Ballasts and bulbs with H33/M59 are interchangeable.

Light bulbs come with a letter designating what type fixture it needs to go in.
O = Open light fixture
E = Enclosed light fixture
S = Must be in Enclosed fixture unless vertical.

What this means is the O bulbs have more glass and can withstand explosion or mishap. Get these, yes they cost more.
The E and S bulbs need a light fixture to contain the quartz or hot glass in a mishap.

http://www.gelighting.com/na/busine...ature_library/catalogs/downloads/2008_hid.pdf

Page 10, General Information:Fixture Requirements

If your light fixture is completely enclosed and sealed, Yes.

ballplayer 2

I am using Hydrofarm Radiant reflectors. They are not air cooled, do not have the safety glass. I purchased the Sunmaster Warm Deluxe as an upgrade package. The Warm Deluxe bulb is rated "E". So basically the growstore I purchased it from should have encouraged me to buy the safety glass to go in the relfector, because the bulb is rated as "E", and not "O". So considering my reflector I should look for a bulb rated "O" when buy a new bulb?

Thank you for your help.

Balance

You've got it BP,

With safety glass in your reflector, E or S bulbs are fine. Without, prolly better find an O bulb.

Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Latest posts