What's new

My first grow

The_Pope

Hey everyone! I've been wanting to grow something for a long time now and I've finally got around to seriously thinking about it. Sad part is, I only have a very small semi-attic closet thing to grow in. I've attached some images of the perspective grow area. Of course, everything currently in the closet will be removed. I've been researching this for the past day or two and I've decided that I want to use CFLs because they are cheap and apparently work pretty well. Sadly I only have 6 seeds of unknown strain so I'm hoping to possibly produce some more if I can have some luck on the sex draw. But the real questions are:

What wattage should I use for an area that size?

Any idea how I should go about ventilating the area?

Is it going to be extremely hard for a first grow?

I really don't have very much money so I'm hoping that I can do this relatively cheaply. Thanks a lot for your help! I'm loving this place so far, hoping to learn from the best!

-Pope

Attachments

• 2hol852.jpg
    2hol852.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 9qgto3.jpg
    9qgto3.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 8
  • nbyagg.jpg
    nbyagg.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 7

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
For cheap all you need is to clean on the closet. Go to $1.00 store and get a couple $1.00 extension cords. For 2x the cost of a few lamp sockets, you can get a 4 socket vanity fixture and some chain to hang the fixture with. This will help you keep the lights level your plants stay the same height. A few 1 gallon buckets. Out of season, but available at the dollar store for $1.00. Potting soil large bag less than $10.00.

Totals to start:

Extension Cords. $5.00
Lamp Sockets. $12.00
Vanity Fixture $15.00 (optional)
Large Bag Soil: $7.95
Plastic Buckets $4.00.
Marijuana Seeds $50.00 and up (optional)

If you go vanity, you'll only need two extension cords one to with the vanity, and one to get electricity into the closet.

You may need a support beam for the light. I would run it from just below the hinge on the right side to the back wall. You'll need to get the proper angle to miter one end of the board. It will make hanging any light a little easier. If this is your 1st grow, you should start with bag seeds. That should get you up and running.

The_Pope

Thanks a lot for the insight facelift. I'm not really concerned with the bag seed right away. I want to make sure that I can actually get something to grow before I go buy the expensive seed. Also, an idea what light wattage I should use in specific? I'm hoping to get started on this whole thing in the next week or so.

OPT

What are the temps in there? Though it's winter time, and depending where you live, it might be too cold in there. I know my attic is cold as shit right now.

Also, whats the specs of that room? Depending on the area in there, we can give you better advice on a light.

OPT

The_Pope

It can get to be somewhat cold in there (I live in New York).I was hoping that the lights would keep it warm in there, if not I was wondering if a small space heater would help? As for the specs, I measured 45 inches wide by 25 inches deep by 28 inches high at the point that I think would be the best. The ceiling is slanted so it's actually deeper then that in the back and higher then that in the front.

C

cracker420

you have a great closet there. i would save some money up. buy some white/black poly, line the closet(might insulate it, could help keep the cold out). i got a 400w hps digi ballast with aircooled hood for $220 from htgsupply.com. you have a great grow space there, dont let it go to waste! you and use the heat off the 400w light to heat your room. thats what i do :) im helping a friend setup a closet a lot similar to yours.

Latest posts

Latest posts