Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growroom Designs & Equipment > What size grow tent?

Thread Title Search
Click for Quest Hydro Dehumidifiers!
What size grow tent? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-27-2009, 10:36 PM #1
OPT
On a long strange trip.....

OPT is a jewel in the roughOPT is a jewel in the roughOPT is a jewel in the roughOPT is a jewel in the roughOPT is a jewel in the roughOPT is a jewel in the roughOPT is a jewel in the rough
What size grow tent?

After seeing many threads that had fellow growers using those grow tents, i've decided this is the best option for me, so I'll be looking to purchase one soon. My question is:

What size should I get if I plan on using a 400HPS? I found one that is 48x24x60 which seems about right, but i might want it to be a little deeper. I'll need to get a hood that is able to have ducting attached to it so I can vent the heat, then also a small intake fan to blow fresh air in.

What size tent, and what size fans would you guys recommend?

I will be growing AK48, in an organic soiless medium consisting of peat,perlite,EWC,kelp meal, blood meal, bone meal, greensand, and dolomite lime.
Don't play the victim role today, and don't blame others, fate, the universe or whatever for the difficulties you face from time to time. Every problem has a solution, and the solving of problems is the beginning of real success.

Very good thread about growing reefer!~
Part 2: Training: Here...

What is training?

Excellent Compost Tea Thread

So, You Want To Make A Brewer?

How to identify plant nutrient deficiencies (Video)

Simple drying/curing article by DJ Short.

Breeding Basics by DJ Short

Compliant to state laws, 100% medically grown

OPT is offline Quote

Old 11-27-2009, 10:47 PM #2
OPT

OPT is a jewel in the roughOPT is a jewel in the roughOPT is a jewel in the roughOPT is a jewel in the roughOPT is a jewel in the roughOPT is a jewel in the roughOPT is a jewel in the rough
After looking at a few other sites, I found one that is 48x48x78, and comes with an LED panel. Though I'm not sure if I would use the LED panel or not, how big of a fans will i need to adequetly vent a 400 hps light, and for the intake fan for the fresh air to circulate?
Don't play the victim role today, and don't blame others, fate, the universe or whatever for the difficulties you face from time to time. Every problem has a solution, and the solving of problems is the beginning of real success.

What is training?

OPT is offline Quote

Old 11-27-2009, 11:20 PM #3
FreezerBoy
Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training

FreezerBoy has much to be proud ofFreezerBoy has much to be proud ofFreezerBoy has much to be proud ofFreezerBoy has much to be proud ofFreezerBoy has much to be proud ofFreezerBoy has much to be proud ofFreezerBoy has much to be proud ofFreezerBoy has much to be proud ofFreezerBoy has much to be proud ofFreezerBoy has much to be proud ofFreezerBoy has much to be proud of
4x4 is far too large for a 400. Count me as one who believes LEDs aren't ready for prime-time. They are the future and the future ain't here yet. Lamps throw little if any light forward or aft, it all goes to the sides. As such a square garden is less effective than rectangular. 2.5x3 with the lamp parallel to the short side would be near perfect. By hanging lamp parallel to the short side, it will cover the grow from a lower height meaning stronger light for your buds.
FreezerBoy is offline Quote

Old 11-27-2009, 11:25 PM #4
OPT

Wow, 4x4 seems so small too. I figured i'd need at least that much space to be able to fit something like 4 plants in there.

What size fans would be needed for a tent your talking about FreezerBoy? I've read up on it, but it's kinda hard for me to get an understanding of it fully, I dont want my gals to fry, so I wanna make sure I have a good enough exhaust for that heat.

What is training?

OPT is offline Quote

Old 11-28-2009, 12:25 AM #5
FreezerBoy
Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training

FreezerBoy has much to be proud ofFreezerBoy has much to be proud ofFreezerBoy has much to be proud ofFreezerBoy has much to be proud ofFreezerBoy has much to be proud ofFreezerBoy has much to be proud ofFreezerBoy has much to be proud ofFreezerBoy has much to be proud ofFreezerBoy has much to be proud ofFreezerBoy has much to be proud ofFreezerBoy has much to be proud of
Check Ventilation 101 and the The 400 Watt Club

The chart below is for cooling only. Adding a scrubber will add resistance lowering fans effectiveness

4x4 may sound small and everyone smokes their own way but, my grow is barely larger than 2x2 under a 250 and I can't begin to keep up with it's production. Hell, I've even done some jar curing lately because I can afford to lock weed in a jar for 6 months.

You only need 4 plants if you grow 4 strains. It will take longer but, with LST or ScROG, 1 plant will fill your cab.
FreezerBoy is offline Quote

Old 11-28-2009, 12:34 AM #6
cracker420

i use a tent that size and run a 400w hps with an air cooled hood. but i usually only run 2 - 4 plants. i use an active air 165 cfm inline fan, and an elf carbon filter. my tent temps stay close to 74 degrees F. and humidity is around 45%. works great for me!

Old 11-28-2009, 12:34 AM #7
Jnugg

Jnugg is a jewel in the roughJnugg is a jewel in the roughJnugg is a jewel in the roughJnugg is a jewel in the roughJnugg is a jewel in the roughJnugg is a jewel in the rough
Do your research man....

What's the general minimum of watts/sq.foot.....50w/sq.foot minimum for good bud production.

400/50 = the largest one should use is an 8 sq.foot area or a 2' x 4' area.This would equate to 6,250 lumens/sq.foot.

IMO it is best to use a minimum of 62.5w/sq.foot and provide 7,000-10,000 lumens per sq.foot.

For instance a 600w HPS is usually hung over a 3' x 3' table or footprint to get 66.66w/sq.foot and 10,000 lumens/sq.foot.You could easily hang the same 600w HPS over a 3' x 3' area in a 4' x 4' or larger area...just make sure that all the walls are extremely reflective so you can reflect what light is lost back to the plants.

IMO for 400w HPS grows these are the footprints you should use...

2' x 2.5'

2' x 3'

anything more then that and you may lose a little or gain a little thanks to the extra room but the plants on the sides of the garden would not be as dense or quality as the ones in the general footprint.

Also,style/mehod of growing and container size will tell you how many plants you can run.You can run many many plants in a SOG or 1-3 plants for SCROG/LST.I could easily fill my 2' x 2.5' area with one plant scrogged...same if I were working in a 2' x 3' area.
Jnugg is offline Quote

Old 11-28-2009, 03:26 AM #8
OPT

Thanks for replies guys! Trying to read as much as I can but there's a lot out there!!

I've seen a 195 cfm exhaust fan, that comes with a carbon filter, so heres my question:

I understand I need to vent the lamp so it doesn't overheat in my grow room by hooking the vents up to the reflector to flow air through and around the bulb. Can I install my carbon filter on the same fan, and if so, how?

Or do i have to have 2 differnt exhaust fans, 1 for the light, 1 to suck air out of the room though the cabon filter, then and inline fan on the bottom pumping fresh air into the cab right?

When I look at all these growrooms, i see alot of ducts, so it's got me a little confused. Seeing as 2 ducts are set up on both sides of the light, i wasnt sure if this would also extract the air in the growroom also, or if I need another fan to do that also, for a total of 3 fans... 1 to exhaust the heat, pull out stall air, and 1 to pump fresh air in, or am I wrong on that?

What is training?

OPT is offline Quote

Old 11-28-2009, 06:40 AM #9
ROOTZ

ROOTZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPT View Post
Thanks for replies guys! Trying to read as much as I can but there's a lot out there!!

I've seen a 195 cfm exhaust fan, that comes with a carbon filter, so heres my question:

I understand I need to vent the lamp so it doesn't overheat in my grow room by hooking the vents up to the reflector to flow air through and around the bulb. Can I install my carbon filter on the same fan, and if so, how?

Or do i have to have 2 differnt exhaust fans, 1 for the light, 1 to suck air out of the room though the cabon filter, then and inline fan on the bottom pumping fresh air into the cab right?

When I look at all these growrooms, i see alot of ducts, so it's got me a little confused. Seeing as 2 ducts are set up on both sides of the light, i wasnt sure if this would also extract the air in the growroom also, or if I need another fan to do that also, for a total of 3 fans... 1 to exhaust the heat, pull out stall air, and 1 to pump fresh air in, or am I wrong on that?
OPT, I have a Growlab GL80 running 425 watts. I have my 4" blower fan pulling air thru the carbon scrubber and reflector before exhausting out of the tent. Here's a pic.

ROOTZ is offline Quote

Old 11-28-2009, 08:35 AM #10
OPT

k, hopefully you can post that pic!

What is training?

OPT is offline Quote