What's new

Calif. High Court Hears Case On Medical Pot Limits

FreedomFGHTR

Veteran
Ok you people can put the petitions away now. We really can grow and posses as much cannabis as we want with a simple doctors reccomendation. The Attorney General's Office even agreed that limits are unconstitutional.

http://cbs5.com/local/medical.marijuana.case.2.1290320.html said:
The California Supreme Court, at a special session in Berkeley on Tuesday, appeared likely to strike down a state law that sets an 8-ounce limit on the amount of medical marijuana a patient can possess at one time.

The court found itself in the unusual position of having a prosecutor and a defense attorney in a criminal case agree it would be unconstitutional to prosecute genuine patients for violating the limit.

Deputy California Attorney General Michael Johnsen told the court, "We are basically on the same path."

Johnsen, representing prosecutors, and Santa Clara University law professor Gerald Uelmen, representing a medical marijuana patient, both said the limit set by the Legislature in 2003 is an unconstitutional amendment of the state's voter-approved Compassionate Use Act of 1996.

Their only disagreement was in how the court should go about invalidating the limit procedurally and whether the panel should explicitly uphold another part of the 2003 law that sets up an identification card program.

The hearing on the appeal by Patrick Kelly of Los Angeles County of his marijuana possession conviction was part of an outreach session held by the court at the School of Law at the University of California at Berkeley.

The court's seven justices took the case under consideration after hearing an hour of arguments and have three months to issue a written ruling.

Kelly, who had a doctor's approval for using medical marijuana for back pain and other ailments, was convicted of possession in 2006 after sheriff's deputies found 12 ounces of dried marijuana in his house.

The 2003 law, entitled the Medical Marijuana Program, was intended by the Legislature to clarify and supplement the 1996 voter initiative, which protects medical marijuana patients from being prosecuted for using the drug.

In addition to designating the 8-ounce limit, the 2003 law established a voluntary identification card program for patients and caregivers.

Kelly argued in his appeal that the 8-ounce limit could not be used as a basis for prosecuting him because the Compassionate Use Act sets no limit and the new law amounted to an unconstitutional amendment.

The state Constitution forbids legislative amendments of laws enacted by voters unless a law specifically allows for amendments.

A state appeals court in Los Angeles agreed with Kelly's arguments last year but, in addition to overturning his conviction, struck down an entire section of the law in a way that resulted in invalidating the identification card system as well.

In Tuesday's arguments, Johnsen asked the high court to "simply narrow the remedy" by striking down the use of the limit in Kelly's case and leaving other issues "for another day."

But Uelmen asked the court to go farther and explicitly uphold the identification card provisions. He said under that interpretation, the law wouldn't limit the amount a patient can reasonably use, but would protect card-holding patients and caregivers from being arrested if they possess less than 8 ounces.

When Chief Justice Ronald George asked how narrow the court's eventual ruling should be, Uelmen answered, "I would look for a decision recognizing that there are other applications (of the 2003 law) that are not affected."

nomaad

Veteran
thanks, ff. this answers my questions posted in another thread. could not get that link to work last night.

zenoonez

Veteran
So plant counts, weight limits, and canopy limits are done with? We can grow how ever much we want?

meduser180056

I can't believe this is still going on I mean come on it's unconstitutional to amend a voter approved proposition so SB420 has got to go. Don't they have lawyers that tell them this shit before they try to pass illegal amendments.

richyrich

Out of the slime, finally.
Veteran
They do, but they don't care. They are politicians.

Excellent news FF. Now I don't need my dr to write me plant count exemptions anymore. I'm sure the ID card portion will be upheld. I just renewed mine for the 4th time a few weeks ago.

FreedomFGHTR

Veteran
Of note is the mention how possible "legalization" legislation could trump mmj by the court itself. Also the court admits that it is left in a straight jacket in terms of what it can do.

I can grow and smoke as much as I want under current law and sell w/o excise taxes. Can someone please explain how there is possibly anything better in the world?

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
this sounds good, you guys have your foot in the door, there trying to shut it but once someone sticks there other foot in your guys are golden

next is legalization once you have guys moving 1000's of pounds, there's no stopping you

nomaad

Veteran
Of note is the mention how possible "legalization" legislation could trump mmj by the court itself. Also the court admits that it is left in a straight jacket in terms of what it can do.

I can grow and smoke as much as I want under current law and sell w/o excise taxes. Can someone please explain how there is possibly anything better in the world?

You think that the AG guidelines will be ammended? I am reading them now to see if they even need to be.

Gr33n_Chr0nic

It would be better if I were able to do it too, here in texas.

:mad:

but it is a very good step.... bring that fucking production rate up through the roof. get the herb to the people who need it, and get the herb to the people who reallllly need it, and lets overgrow the government finally

fatigues

Veteran
They do, but they don't care. They are politicians.

Correct. But the real question is which politicians? Because this wasn't the Legislature's intent. They tried to fix this already.

The fact there was a constitutional prolem in SB420 was recognized many years ago and the Legislature amended SB420 to remove the reference to eight oz. The Legislature saw the constiutional issue and attempted to correct it and in fact, passed Bill 1494 which would have already fixed this.

Gov. Schwarzenegger vetoed it for political reasons. Removing a legislative maximum "created uncertainty" and made things hard for police (Constitutional rights are always pesky like that and continually get in the way of the rights of the police). Schwarzenegger's supposed reasons for vetoing the Bill may be found here. It reads as follows:

The Governator said:

To the Members of the California State Senate:

I am returning SB 1494 without my signature.

This bill reverses an agreement that led to the passage of SB 420 (Vasconcellos) in 2003. That statute established quantity guidelines which gave patients and law enforcement clarity in the law with respect to possession of medicinal marijuana under Proposition 215. Reasonable and established quantity guidelines allow medicinal marijuana patients to seek relief from symptoms free from legal questions and permit law enforcement to carry out the law.

Senate Bill 1494 removes the limitation on the amount of marijuana a qualified patient, person with an identification card, or primary caregiver can possess. Since the passage of Proposition 215, local governments have grappled with the interpretation of the voters’ intent with respect to how much marijuana a patient may possess for medical use. Senate Bill 420 resolved this issue.

Enactment of this bill would create uncertainty in this area of the law thereby making it more difficult for law enforcement to determine when a person was in possession of marijuana for medicinal purposes pursuant to Proposition 215.

For these reasons, I am unable to sign this measure.

Sincerely,

Arnold Schwarzenegger
So now, the courts have done the same thing the Legislature tried to do by striking the legislation down - but Schwarzenenegger can claim he was trying to "send the right message" and can say in a few months time that he was "disappointed by the Supreme Court of California's ruling in People v. Kelly". Doubtless he will suggest that the result is another key indication from the courts that point to an urgent need to reform California's MMJ laws and get the dispensaries and drug dealers under control. **yadda yadda yadda** "Our police need certainty, not vague rulings from activist judges like the people of California got in People v. Kelly." Or something close to that, at any rate.

Judges are always "activist" when they make rulings you don't like, of course.

The SCC's decision will, in all probability, say no such thing. But by then, nobody will be paying attention to the courts. This has always been about politics, spin and avoiding blame. The Court usually cares about the truth, but the media spins the story as they wish -- and the politicians always spin it to their advantage.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hell yes! No feds or state governemnt fucking with cali growers anymore. Over growing the system can now take full swing. All you cali grower need to triple your grows minimum. Flood the whole country with so much pot that the rest of states have to fall in line with cali. Aslo somebody get the keys and let Eddy Lepp, and others like him out of jail. The courts are about to be so flooded with apeals they wont have time to deny them. Also since Cali has been ordered to release a huge percentage of there prisoners then it will be an easy task.

Last edited:

nomaad

Veteran
Lepp is in federal Prison, I believe.

Hey fatigues, I was happy to see you weigh in on this thread. Your perspective is always appreciated. So what's your opinion of how this will play out on the ground for growers and LEOs?

richyrich

Out of the slime, finally.
Veteran
Correct. But the real question is which politicians? Because this wasn't the Legislature's intent. They tried to fix this already.

The fact there was a constitutional prolem in SB420 was recognized many years ago and the Legislature amended SB420 to remove the reference to eight oz. The Legislature saw the constiutional issue and attempted to correct it and in fact, passed Bill 1494 which would have already fixed this.

Gov. Schwarzenegger vetoed it for political reasons. Removing a legislative maximum "created uncertainty" and made things hard for police (Constitutional rights are always pesky like that and continually get in the way of the rights of the police). Schwarzenegger's supposed reasons for vetoing the Bill may be found here. It reads as follows:

So now, the courts have done the same thing the Legislature tried to do by striking the legislation down - but Schwarzenenegger can claim he was trying to "send the right message" and can say in a few months time that he was "disappointed by the Supreme Court of California's ruling in People v. Kelly". Doubtless he will suggest that the result is another key indication from the courts that point to an urgent need to reform California's MMJ laws and get the dispensaries and drug dealers under control. **yadda yadda yadda** "Our police need certainty, not vague rulings from activist judges like the people of California got in People v. Kelly." Or something close to that, at any rate.

Judges are always "activist" when they make rulings you don't like, of course.

The SCC's decision will, in all probability, say no such thing. But by then, nobody will be paying attention to the courts. This has always been about politics, spin and avoiding blame. The Court usually cares about the truth, but the media spins the story as they wish -- and the politicians always spin it to their advantage.

Yeah, I was speaking generally. ^ In blue, is basically where I was going.

B

Blue Dot

If this invalidates 8 oz wouldn't it defacto invalidate 6 mature or 12 immature?

Isn't the idea the same?

B

Blue Dot

yes. sb420 imposes both plant and possession limits.

When Chief Justice Ronald George asked how narrow the court's eventual ruling should be, Uelmen answered, "I would look for a decision recognizing that there are other applications (of the 2003 law) that are not affected."

So when this is published is the 6/12 going to be eliminated or not?

I can't believe they did not address this? :yoinks:

nomaad

Veteran
they don't have to. the decision deems plant limits and weight limits in sb420 unconstitutional because they are limitations of a voter initiative by a means other than voter initiative. not sure what you mean by "eliminated"... erase from the public record? no, that is not how the law works. but the plant/weight limits are invalidated by this precedent as far as i can understand.