Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Grow It! > Growers Forums > Indoor Grows - Hydro > Anyone here use 100% perlite as a medium...

Thread Title Search    
Click for Hydro Grow LEDs!
 Anyone here use 100% perlite as a medium... Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
gregor_mendel
Cannabis Capitalist

gregor_mendel has a spectacular aura aboutgregor_mendel has a spectacular aura aboutgregor_mendel has a spectacular aura about
Anyone here use 100% perlite as a medium...

Particularly in dutch buckets, or anything with top drip.

I did a search but apparently perlite is too common of a word for our search engine. So if anyone has a link to a grow, please share it.

I use dutch buckets AKA bato buckets.

Recently I switched from GH coco mixed brick to straight coco chips.
This is NOT a good medium for drip. The moms in ebb and flow do ok, but they like more broadly graded coco as well. I will be going back to my regular coco mix in both.

All that is an aside that explains how I arrived at my curiosity about perlite.

Perlite, after all, is what the US greenhouse industry uses in dutch buckets.

What kind do you use if you use it? Do you rinse it? (that seems like a pain in the ass)

Horticultural grade medium or coarse OR big and chunky?
I am looking for experienced opinions here.

Thanks much!
gregor_mendel jest offline   Quote

Old 11-09-2009, 03:18 PM   #2
Mr. Hugeblunts
Tryin to smoke an l?

Mr. Hugeblunts will become famous soon enoughMr. Hugeblunts will become famous soon enough
the "hempy bucket" style uses 100% perlite among other variations of media.However it uses a "reservoir" at the bottom of the perlite, not a top drip
Mr. Hugeblunts jest offline   Quote

Old 11-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
gregor_mendel
Cannabis Capitalist

gregor_mendel has a spectacular aura aboutgregor_mendel has a spectacular aura aboutgregor_mendel has a spectacular aura about
Hempy buckets are watered from the top, right?
How often?

Old 11-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
pimpjuice
Banned

pimpjuice will become famous soon enough
A bato bucket is the commercial equivalent of a "hempy bucket" ... Bato's have a reservoir in the bottom.

I'm using 100% perlite in my bato buckets this run. It's working great. For years I grew in nothing but perlite, before that I was using a 70%perlite 30%vermiculite but ultimately switched to straight perlite.

medium grade, I just pour it into the pots. Wet it down good before transplant to make it easier.
pimpjuice jest offline   Quote

Old 11-09-2009, 08:00 PM   #5
Milwaukee

Milwaukee will become famous soon enough
Straight perlite has worked really well for me. I just get the big bags they have at home depot. Water as needed.
Milwaukee jest offline   Quote

Old 11-09-2009, 08:05 PM   #6
delta9nxs
No Jive Productions

delta9nxs has a brilliant futuredelta9nxs has a brilliant futuredelta9nxs has a brilliant futuredelta9nxs has a brilliant futuredelta9nxs has a brilliant futuredelta9nxs has a brilliant futuredelta9nxs has a brilliant futuredelta9nxs has a brilliant futuredelta9nxs has a brilliant futuredelta9nxs has a brilliant futuredelta9nxs has a brilliant future
Smile

here is a good link. perlite is used predominately in top drip applications in the greenhouse industry. if you are going to use it any other way it needs to be amended with something that has a decent cation exchange capability. apparently the top drip works great with 100% perlite as it presents a continuously correcting flow of water and nutrients to the roots. you must have good drainage to do this. run it through and recirculate at least several times a day.

http://www.perlite.org/perlite_info/...%20CULTURE.pdf
delta9nxs jest offline   Quote

Old 11-09-2009, 08:17 PM   #7
geopolitical
Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy

geopolitical has much to be proud ofgeopolitical has much to be proud ofgeopolitical has much to be proud ofgeopolitical has much to be proud ofgeopolitical has much to be proud ofgeopolitical has much to be proud ofgeopolitical has much to be proud ofgeopolitical has much to be proud ofgeopolitical has much to be proud of
I've used it in a top drip setup before. Never used it in bato buckets, but I could see how you could.

Quote:
legitimizing pot hasn't created more users; it has just produced more annoying ones, who now apply Whole Foods--ian levels of snobbiness to the differences between Hawaiian Sativa and Humboldt Indica. -Time Magazine.
Cooking Oil Made Complicated

100w

geopolitical jest offline   Quote

Old 11-09-2009, 08:27 PM   #8
P.D.S

P.D.S is just really niceP.D.S is just really niceP.D.S is just really niceP.D.S is just really niceP.D.S is just really nice
My last run in my room was 100% perlite with a top drip system, worked fine for me. I use the coarse grade and i rinse it before i use to keep the dust down. If you have anymore questions id be happy to answer them, ive used perlite many times over the years
P.D.S jest offline   Quote

Old 11-09-2009, 09:57 PM   #9
gregor_mendel
Cannabis Capitalist

Thanks to all of you. It's great asking a question and hearing what you want to hear.

I suggest all follow delta9nxs's link.

Pimpjuice: Are you the 10KW, 90 bato pimpjuice?

Prepping for my next run, I just recently expanded 6 bales of coco, one at a time, then moved to my garage for mixing, as 3 were chips and 3 were pith.

As I was doing it, I told myself it was the last time. At the time, I was thinking hydroton, but perlite is easier to come by, and much lighter. I know that coco can be reused, and I have before, but I still think the perlite may perform better.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:44 PM   #10
gregor_mendel
Cannabis Capitalist

Another question for you

Any algae?

Old 11-10-2009, 01:55 AM   #11
morrisgreenberg

morrisgreenberg is on a distinguished road
i love 100% perlite, i dont automate it, i run mums in them and hand water, 2-3 times weekly, for me personally i wouldnt want it automated since p'lite holds water pretty well, but this is the only method where i have never ever had an issue with, and so easy to flush, never had algea, only time you will see discoloration is if you use thick nutrients
morrisgreenberg jest offline   Quote

Old 11-10-2009, 02:00 AM   #12
osecretgardeno

osecretgardeno is a splendid one to beholdosecretgardeno is a splendid one to beholdosecretgardeno is a splendid one to beholdosecretgardeno is a splendid one to beholdosecretgardeno is a splendid one to beholdosecretgardeno is a splendid one to beholdosecretgardeno is a splendid one to beholdosecretgardeno is a splendid one to behold
i've had algea on my hempy buckets (70% perlite, 30% vermiculite).

it was only on the top layer though, it didn't appear to penetrate down at all.

you can also reuse it (i think) ... i have been for a year or so now and i'm not seeing any adverse affects.

goodluck, peace, sg

Current Grow:
SG's Hempy Grow Show:

Karma Genetics Test Grow:
Karma's Sour Jack

"herb the gift, from the earth, and what's from the earth is of ja greatest worth"

I'm not an ordinary man,
I don't pretend to be
osecretgardeno jest offline   Quote

Old 11-10-2009, 02:22 AM   #13
happyherb
no wuckin furries!

happyherb has much to be proud ofhappyherb has much to be proud ofhappyherb has much to be proud ofhappyherb has much to be proud ofhappyherb has much to be proud ofhappyherb has much to be proud ofhappyherb has much to be proud ofhappyherb has much to be proud ofhappyherb has much to be proud of
i used coarse and the smaller stuff(only cause i didnt read the bags they sold me) perlite for years...with clay ball base (around 2 inch)...sometimes i grew my clones(cloned in rockwool) in a 50/50 coco perlite mix in small pots and placed that into 30lrt double pots(top one for perlite bottom one for drainage) and connected as many pots i wanted to a rez a recirculated the ferts..so so easy....best system ive used with DWC in close 2nd for yield.HH. =]-~

happyherb jest offline   Quote

Old 11-11-2009, 12:33 AM   #14
gregor_mendel
Cannabis Capitalist

What is everyon'e preferred tranplant method

Maybe I shoud say medium.

Do you go from rooted plug into your final perlite container,
or grow it a bit first in a rockwool cube or 4 inch pot of perlite?

Old 11-11-2009, 12:41 AM   #15
Milwaukee

Milwaukee will become famous soon enough
I go from plugs to 1 gallon grow bags of perlite, then to my buckets.
Milwaukee jest offline   Quote

0 members found this post helpful.