What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY $7-$10 Ebb & Flow Fittings in 10 Easy Steps

Helis

Hi all!
So here's a solution to a problem. I'm a big DIYer and whenever I read a "DIY Ebb & Flow" article where people build all sorts of wonderful systems with parts from Wal*Mart and big box hardware stores, it saddens me because 98% of them then go on to tell me to run to the local indoor gardening and hydroponics supplier to get my E&F fittings for $10.
That's not DIY! :noway:
Now, some don't like going to "hydro stores", some like to do it 100% DIY, and some just have lots of parts laying around... All making this DIY project a viable option for the Personal/Micro/Stealth grower or just for those who just love to tinker. Also, I guess there is some cost benefit to this if you don't mind elbow grease and you skip the grommets... If you can find something cheaper than the $0.88 fender washers, you can have grommets and still have the system be less than $10 ($7 without fender washers)

Parts
1/2" Barb to 1/2" MIP Adapter 1.42
1/2" 90° Barb to 3/4" MIP Adapter 2.98
3/4" 3/4" 1/2" Combination Tee 1.07
3/4" Insert FIP Barb Adapter 1.43
3/4" PVC 0.12
(4) Rubber Fender Washers 3.52
Screen Free
Cost 7.02
Cost w/Optional Parts
(italic) 10.54

Sources
I went to:
Home Depot - Rubber Fender Washers
Lowes - Everything else
I have checked and both stores carry the fender washers... They were cheaper at my local Home Depot so I went there. I'm 100% sure these fittings could be made by just one visit to a big-box hardware store, I bought from two because I had the ability to.
As for screen, it can be found in people's trash pretty often. If not, you don't need much. Try to find someone who has a roll or somewhere that sells by the foot.

Tools
Silicone Caulk
Low-Grit Sandpaper
Hacksaw OR PVC Cutter (recommended)
Drill & Drill Bits

Instructions
1) Sand the FIP barb adapter so that it fits in 3/4" PVC

2) Silicone FIP barb adapter into PVC, then smoke a bowl of something nice :canabis:

3) Put your assembly on floor of your E&F table and mark off final overflow height.

4) Cut PVC tube to height, trying to keep the top cut straight/flat.

5) Trim 90° barb threads ~1/4" so that it screws in closer to the FIP adapter. Do this to the straight 1/2" barb as well.

6) Clip T-arms off of the combination tee, then drill holes about 1/8" up from the bottom of the threads, for drainage.

7) I wrapped my fittings in plastic screen that I had as scrap, simply to keep grow medium from being drained or pumped.
8) I also trimmed two fender washers per fitting to use as rubber washers. I've seen this be watertight without them, but I like them for the added piece of mind. If anyone knows of a cheaper solution for these, please share!
9) The straight barb goes into the cut-down tee, and the 90° barb goes into the overflow fitting you've made. Install them in your E&F/F&D trays/tubs/tubes/tables with caulk on all sides.
10) Let the caulk dry, hook up 1/2" tubing to the barbs and hook up your water pump of choice and away you go!

Also I guess this is my first post (long time lurker, new ICer) so Hello ICMag! & Thank you for the wonderful place to hang :joint:
Also mods sorry if this isn't the right place for this, please move it if necessary!

Helis

Helis

Glad someone enjoys it, I know (now) that this had been covered somewhere else but I am hoping the conciseness of the title will help future DIYers :D

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Nice write up.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of buying 2 fittings that cost me 15 bucks. when the same thing could be made for half.

Besides, I need a degree of customizing, the overflow's flood to high for me.

+K for ya.

Bumble Buddy

Maybe some material from old tire inner tubes could be used instead of the rubber washers? Or they could be cut out of a silicone baking mat if you have one around, I've got one that's been used to make a high temp washer for an espresso machine and bushing washers for a loud transformer in a ballast.

G

grow nerd

Why not just buy the real deal for $2 - $4?

The overflow risers that I get from NGW come in 1" increments, so I can go as low or as high as I need (in 1" increments, w/o cutting). E/F screens are like, $0.50 and come in several different shapes and designs.

imnotcrazy

There is ALWAYS meaning to my madness ®
Veteran
Umm, you spent $0.54 more than I do for purpose built fittings that won't have you fighting leaks. Not knocking you, but add the cost of the time it took you to assemble those and it just cost you about triple.....

And for the guy who said they purpose built F&D fittings flood too high: They can be cut to set the overflow where ever you want it to be.

Bunz

Never use caulking on anything that is going to be submerged. Over time it will leak. I'll put my paycheck on it. Not to mention, anything other then pure silicon is going to leach stuff back into your nutes......Definitely a bad thing.

+1 on doing it the right way w/ the right materials. Piece of mind is worth more then $4 to me.

Just my .02

tejashidrow

I guess some folks missed the D.I.Y.....
As for cost.. just as HELIS stated...
"some people just have STUFF laying around....

As for cost.... I got it all laying around.
And time??? 3 secs or steps to my garage.
no leaks if made right. ..Hell i just had to fight leaks with a fitting i got from a hydrostore.....
GREAT write up HELIS for those who need it!!! GOOD JOB!!!! :thanks: :eggnog: :xmasnut:

Helis

GGW, BumbleBuddy Thanks you :)

GrowNerd $2-4? Where? At hydro stores near me they are $10-15. No internet thank you.

I'mNotCrazy If I had made these on working hours they would have cost at least 30 USD more. However they were not, and were made while watching a movie. I had some help & it was a fun project...

Deaner I imagine if I needed more than say, 4 of these units I would probably go out to buy them. At that point I would have other things to worry about...

Bunz thank you for the info. I am pretty sure my "caulk" is 100% silicone but I will check and replace if not.

tejashidrow I see you understand... Not that others don't, but sometimes there is a want to do things like this.

Oh and I have had no leaks since I started using this almost a month ago for legal crop. (Not that cannabis would make it leak).

Any improvements to this idea are certainly welcome! DIY only gets better with feedback. I only wrote this to help those who may not have access to everything they need, in one way or another. I am lucky to be as mobile as I am but it hasn't always been this way and I can remember a time getting things from Home Despot would have been hard enough.

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Whats the deal with leaks anyways?..

My veg tray sits directly on top of an open res, so what if it leaks?

I have piles of PVC fittings, ducting, etc.. For me, this DIY is as good as a flood and overflow fitting. I have the material, I might as well use it.

Budweiser13

Yup cool idea but they are cheap to buy in the first place hell my hydro guy gave me some for free when I purchased some other items.