What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY Remote Ballast 42w CFL

grouchy

To celebrate my 420th post on IC I wanted to give something back to the community.

This is a DIY guide to making a standard GE 42w spiral cfl into a remote ballast grow light.

41uIZDvDsvL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Tools and Supplies:
soldering iron and solder
1/8" shrink tube
4 conductor 24ga single strand wire
Needle nose pliers or tweezers
flat blade screwdriver
sharpie
GE 42w CFL

Optional - extra GE 42w CFL in nonworking condition for ballast cover and practice

picture.php
picture.php

Step One: Use the flat blade screwdriver to carefully pry apart the ballast housing at the seam just above the print. It comes apart easily if you work your way around it. This will expose the ballast circuit board. Careful when separating so you don't pull out the red and black wires that go to the socket. You should have a board that looks like this.

picture.php

Step Two: When you have it separated you will need to locate the two pins on each side of the board that the bulb wires are connected to. They are labeled A1, A2, A3, and A4.

picture.php

When you locate them you will see that the wire is connected to the post by twisting around it. You will need the needle nose pliers or tweezers to untwist the wires from the posts. When the wires are free the two halves of the light will be separated. You will need to label which wire came off of which post as you pull it apart.

picture.php

Step Three: Start by cutting the 4 conductor wire to the length needed. I am not sure how long you can make the wire so use the shortest length needed. Solder one of the wires coming from the bulb to each one of your wires and cover the connections with 1/8" shrink tube. It should look something like this

picture.php

Step Four: This is where the extra CFL bulb comes in handy. If you have one that has burnt out or been used on a couple grows already it will be perfect. Take the other bulb apart and keep the piece that snaps the bulb together with the ballast. You can use it as a snap cover to your ballast that has been predrilled for your wires to go through. If you do not have an extra bulb you will need to find a safe way to house or cover the ballast so that nothing can short out against the board. You will want to run your new wires through the holes that the wires from the bulb were going through in the connecter piece. Since you are just lengthening the wires to the bulb you can reattach them to the post by twisting them around and soldering them back on like in the picture below.

picture.php

Step Five: After the wires are soldered onto the posts you will need to snap the ballast cover back on. It has holes in the circuit board that line up with with the plastic connector to get it seated properly. Once it is snapped back together it should look like this.

picture.php

Testing proved the light was operational after the modification and will allow me to mount my ballast outside the growing area when it is installed. This would be very useful for micro grows or PC grows where heat is an issue. If you see anything I missed or could do better please let me know. I will also try to get better pictures soon.

picture.php

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Very cool!

I tried taking a small 13w cfl apart and it was a total pita lol I'll have to try again with a 42w.

I do remember the wires that went into the bulb (the ones you unwrapped) to be a very brittle type wire. Is this still the case with the 42w cfl?

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Great work grouchy, if you get the chance, a heat comparison between the two styles would be fantastic. Then it could be multiplied out for a rough idea of the benefit in a larger cab. Peace.

grow1620

WOW very nice Grouchy! I've always wondered about this....and not only does it reduce heat, it saves space too :)

It should be mentioned to be CAREFUL with cfls. If one breaks follow the proper precautions.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How do you mount the bulb? Do you just leave it dangling from the top?

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
It would be cool to put a plug on the wire so you can switch kelvins out easy, while retaining the same ballast. I would think that's ok if it was the same brand and the specs matched up?

kweb1989

nice idea, thanks

nice idea, thanks

I agree, Great Post. Same qustion... How you go about mounting it? Let it dangle? You wire through a home made bracket you can like crazy glue the bulb to and then screw the mount down? This could be very helpfull to the cfl Community.
:pumpkin:Happy Holloween:witch:

If you grow HID, do your thang, dont bash the cfl'ers. :dueling:

K

KermitTheHermit

I never woulda thought of this. Next one that craps out is going to get dissected.

grouchy

How do you mount the bulb? Do you just leave it dangling from the top?

My plan for mounting the bulb was to drill a couple hole into the plastic base of the bulb. When you have it apart you can see where the wires are at and drill so you don't hit them. Then all you have to do is screw it into the wall or ceiling of the grow area.

hmm i assume we can do away with the socket aswell, mod cfls are sounding pretty good. ill have to give this a shot.

You could also do away with the socket and just wire a plug onto the power wires. This would allow you to mount the ballast into a small electrical box of some sort. I will see what I can put together for you guys.

PapaSmurf

I Just did this with an 18 watter.. It's really easy guys. The shrink tubing was a good call too.

When I did this I noticed that the bulb definitely gets hotter than the ballast, which surprised me.

Also, what's the longest run you've done? I'm curious if efficiency is reduced over longer distances. Like, if lower gauge wire would start to become a good idea over a distance of say, 3 feet or something... Nice work dude

just did with a 14w, works flawlessly. love how it can be mounted now.
no socket either, i got 3 lights hardwired off one cord.
1101091532a.jpg

grouchy

Alright, now its time for the real question. Can we overdrive these? Someone with some flouro experience please chime in. If we take two ballasts, which wires would we need to connect? It may not even be feasible. We could call them cfl-ho or something.

grouchy

I must be missing something...
What's the point again?
To lessen a bit of heat?

Turns out it may not help out much with heat. I checked the temp and it seems that almost all the heat comes from the bulb itself. The ballast remained at about 80 degrees while the bulb climbed to 180 degrees.

The main purpose of this modification would be to allow the bulbs to be mounted into tighter spaces like PCs or small cabs. I am also going to try and figure out a way to mount a pc fan to the base of the bulb for more direct cooling power.

I am curious about mounting a 4 pin pl-l style plug on it and running the spiral bulb off of a 55w t5 ballast. Not sure what would happen but I would like to find out.:D

Lord Doobie

I am curious about mounting a 4 pin pl-l style plug on it and running the spiral bulb off of a 55w t5 ballast. Not sure what would happen but I would like to find out.:D

Or runing the t5 off a 42w or 63w clf ballast...Or see if one 42w cfl ballast would run 2 23w cfls

Latest posts

Latest posts