What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

5 Strain Stealth DWC 400w - Cannography

HighTech

Hello everybody! and welcome to my cannography.

My objective with this setup is 1 lb per cycle, which will just cover my personal use.

I enjoy photographing my cannabis and hope you will enjoy the photos and story as it is told.

*STRAINS*

GHS Great White Shark
GHS Cheese
GHS Big Bang
GHS White Rhino >------> R.I.P.
GHS Trainwreck

Nirvana AK48

Ive grown twice before, with moderate success. Ive been reading weed growing forums for 10 years now , since the days of OG :). I had a journal on OG as well.

This is a stealth setup, my number one importance. It has to be able to be used in any apartment or cramped townhouse.

My considerations were, that it

CANNOT

a) Keep me awake.
b) Keep the neihbours awake.
c) heat the house in summer
d) Not freakout my girlfriend.
e) Produce any cannabis odour whatsoever.
f) leak any light whatsoever.

CAN

a) Leave me spending $0 on the stupidly overpriced, never dried, commerical bullshit that LEO have forced the community to deal with.
b) Heat the house in winter.
c) Run near perpetually, with included mother/clone chamber.
d) Dry all the buds internally while new plants are prepared.

A standard mass produced pine cupboard was bought, i didnt want to work with MDF because its a pain in the arse.

The drawers were ripped out, faces kept and a floor installed in the veg chamber. The structure was discretely reinforced internally. The veg chamber houses all the electronics mothers and clones. Air is sucked through this chamber and into the flowering chamber via a rubber suspended 6". The draws are stuck on the front with velcro attachment points and air seals to ensure air is routed through correct intake and not the front of unit. The intake goes underneath the floor of veg chamber and out the back of cupboard, i have installed uber foam sound insulation to ensure the cement and wood did not amplify noise out the intake.

The ENTIRE unit is lined with soundproofing foam underneath the panda, including the veg chamber and all the nooks and crannies. I lost useable space from this obviously but it works a treat! When im standing right in front of the unit, sound is so omni directional it sounds like its coming through the wall behind not from cupboard.

I have a 400w CMH running through an air cooled tube. I chose air-cooled due to the variety of strains, i want some to be able to poke their heads above the light to the left and right if need be.

Air is sucked through a large 200mm carbon filter and then blown through the air cooled tube and out the upper exhaust. This fan has a dimmer switch.

My DWC runs 8 air stones off two high 4x output aquarium style pumps.

The end result.

total-setup.jpg

Day 22 Veg, First night 12/12.

wholesetup22.jpg

So stick around and see what happens as i keep updating day to day :).

Heres my favorite shot so far, and some seedling shots running day 0-4.

Any questions don't hesitate to ask.

*** During the moving around of plants what was actually AK 48 #1 was removed and #2 & #3 became #1 & #2. Ive kept a Bansai of it as its the stinky pine phenotype.

HighTech :woohoo:

Last edited by a moderator:

HighTech

I germinated watered seedlings in ph 7.5 RO water.

The DWC was filled with such a low ppm tap water, its insignificent. PH 7, bubbbled agressively for 24 hours.

PPM Set at 150 for day 1, 200 for day 2, and 500 at day 4. Day 4 was the only day i bothered PH'ing down from 6.5+ to 5.2 (expecting upwards drift).

HighTech

Day 5.

Day 5.

I should also note to anyone who is reading.

I count the day the seedlings are first exposed to moisture as day -2.

The WR is tiny compared to the others due to a slow germination, which may have been due to not a long enough soaking to get through the colored layer thing from GHS.

Heres the girls, The name will show in the pic description.

Im getting a bit better at the macros

MACROS

CLICK to see the full size image.

GWS

Ak 48 #1

Ak48 #2

Big bang #1

Trainwreck

White Rhino

Big Bang #2

Cheese

This is the first time i have not used a Silica supplement.

I'm using Canna classic with cannazym so far and the seedlings look like overfed children with wobbly legs.

From memory my seedlings were much stouter when i used silica, i might pick some up.

The brand i used to use would lock out if you added it after nutes, it would go all cloudy in the rez. I would have to dump my whole tank if i used it now. Ill try to find a brand you can ad on the fly as that's super important to the stealth aspect.

Anyway back to the volcano vaporizer :abduct:

:yeahthats

HighTech

PH check

PH check

Just checked PH and its rock solid @ 5.2 so im adding 1 litre of ph 7.0 RO remineralized water. I'm guessing that will set it at 5.3 - 5.4.

I'm sure there's some equation to figure out how much you would need to add of A to B given a tank size of X to get a PH of P sort of thing...

If anyone knows it post away!! :D.

My TDS meter has decided to divide every answer by 10 without me wanting it to so i think it needs new batteries , not suprising as it has no auto off feature.

Thanks for the interest in the thread Mr Bitti & Classyathome :D

:abduct:

HighTech

locations.

locations.

Growing a compact setup with 6 different strains can either be disastrous or miraculous :D

I'm shooting for miraculous and have chosen plant positioning based on finishing time and overall height. I was extremely stoned when i figured this out. :joint:

I wanted to run a lemon skunk as well but due to its extra stretch i want to dial in the time i flip the lights before i throw the lemon in next run.

I'm also going to keep one ak48 pheno based on yield and high.

Ive tried to plant the shorter plants in the front, or in regards to the far left plants they have to take up a bit of space to their left as well due to the 6"intake blocking the rez sitting in the middle.

Last edited:

HighTech

first small issue.

first small issue.

After the PH was dropped to 5.2 Big Bang #1 has gone all venus fly trap on me.

To me it looks like a reaction to ph fluctuation as it would brown before contorting like that from too high ppm.

I watered down the Rez, set PH stable at 5.5. PPM 350.

Heres what happened to the big bang #1 from PH change over 24 hours.

THUMBNAILS CLICK TO SEE FULL SIZE IMAGE

Day 5

Day 6

And heres what looks like seedling resin on a healthy seedling, Big Bang #1 must be a bit sensitive.

2009-10-29-day6-005.jpg

Something else interesting is that AK48 #3 which was the smallest of all seedlings is now the biggest. I had put her in a 100mmx100mm rockwool cube and its now the healthiest most vigorous plant by far. It makes me want to try flood and drain. I'm thinking though that DWC would catchup for sheer quantity of nutrient delivery during flowering.

Updates from day 7 coming later.

HighTech

day 7

day 7

Big Bang #2 is out, it would of taken weeks to nurse it back to health.

White rhino is severely stunted for whatever combination of reasons.
I've transplanted to a 10cmx10cm RW cube so i can feed seperate nutes and maybe still grow out a few WR buds somehow when shes better. I at least MUST retain the genetics.

One of the symptoms i suffer is insomnia and extreme restlessness. Im thinking of ensuring great white shark gets a good cloudyness to her trichomes and i might get the same effect. Hmm.

AK 48 #3 , i cut the rockwool cube so i could put her in the net pot with some hydrotron around and below. This is still the biggest healthiest plant.

Last night i raised the water level to just below the lid surface as a few of them had shot out roots into the rez.

So heres the lineup it looks like.

As with all the little photos,

CLICK to see FULLSIZE IMAGE

Ak48's

Great white shark

Big Bang

Trainwreck

Cheese

I'm happy i wont need to veg long with 7 healthy girls.

day7overview.jpg

HT :abduct:

Last edited:

HighTech

Hey oobnuker , cabinets can be an elegant solution when done right! i wish you all the best of luck.

I've certainly learnt a lot constructing mine about lightproofing/airsealing. My cabinet used to squeel as the air got sucked in through the front door where i didn't want it to. Now there's none whatsoever. Ask me any questions if you get stuck! I'm sure ill have PM working soon.

I'm actually remarkably suprised at the camera its a canon 12mp ixus. I beleive its only performing so admirably due to the huge amount of light. To macro outdoors with it I would need to be about 15cm away instead of 3-4cm from the object. I also sharpen and polish up in photoshop as naturally as possible.

Good luck with your grow.

HT

Mr.Bitti

man, that sux you had to pull out a BB and WR. I have grown BB and found 3 main pheno's i found the green apple pheno that is excelent compact yet somewhat fluffy buds, big yield, wonderfull skunky/musty sweet smell. the high was up with some body effect but no couchlock at all. made my ears extremely sensitive(only strain that has made my ears feel this way) and some face numbness specially on the upper lip. Definitely a complex high that takes a few times to figure out.great for listening or making music and also great for outdoors/sports. The other two phenos: one was somewhat hazy and the other one was almost like skunk #1. the hazy pheno was crazy up motivational high almost like what i described but more trippy. the skunk pheno sucked, high was up but not as strong as others huge yield very huge. anyway that should let you know what to expect sorry to run so long. keep those girls happy i cant wait to see what you have in a few weeks!!

R

Re51n8

tag'd

tag'd

:lurk: Looking good!

I'm also growing GHS Trainwreck and love photographing my babies! The Trainwreck has really surprised me... very healthy specimen! Also growing GHS King's Kush and is my favorite plant out of the bunch so far.

HighTech

Day 8

Day 8

I agree it sucks I've lost a BB as im looking for the sweet apple pheno and sweet anti anxiety effects. I have some more beans so if i dont find it with this guy next time is ok.

Its interesting the AK48 has been showing extremely good vigor.

I have however been a bit lazy on the PH shift at this early stage and AK48 is known to do well under such less the optimal conditions.

I was running 20/4 lighting but decided to switch to 18/6 as i cant read anything anywhere to justify the added electricity bill.

Heres Trainwreck at day 8 and an overview shot.

overviewday8.jpg

HighTech

Updates updates updates :)

Updates updates updates :)

Hey everyone,

Things are going well in the garden, Here are the shots from Day 9, i PH'd just before i left for a few days. PH @ 5.2 PPM @ 750

After bustin my buns for the man i came back on day 11 to find PH back @ 6.4.
:mad:

I had to dump & wash rez with chlorinated tap water no mix of Reverse Osmosis this time as I've read others having huge PH trouble with it. (most likely the reminerlization stage causing it)

I decided to crank the nutes as well as they seem to be putting on weight a bit slowly PPM @ 1000 PH @ 5.5

I have not had this problem running the same system before, only difference being i ran the water level lower previously with only half the air.

Also i always had to PH down massively as i always added Silica in the past maybe the lack of this is causing the rise.

DAY 9 PICS

AK 48 #1

AK 48 #2

AK 48 #3

GWS

TW

BB #2

Cheese

overviewday9.jpg

Last edited:

HighTech

Day 12

Day 12

Heres are the pics for day 12.

I'm expecting them to start doubling in size every two days now, if they dont something is wrong!

I'm going to try to mount a camera fixture in the cupboard so i can take really cool 24 hour stop motion photography while they get their explosive growth :).

DAY 12 PICS

AK 48 #1

AK 48 #2

AK 48 #3

GWS

TW

BB #2

Cheese

OVERVIEWDAY12.jpg

Last edited:

HighTech

Rubber curtains

Rubber curtains

Ive been asked to pop a couple of better pics on showing the setup.

Notice the "Rubber curtain" in the first post pic that hangs in front of the cupboard door this blocks a huge amount of sound and probably absorbs some too.

I have lined key strategic spots behind soundproofing foam and panda with more rubber sheeting.

The way i mounted the fan looks a bit shoddy however the oozles of tape are simply a measure to keep it firmly pressed against rubber mount points and less against the foam to the right. Its also hung in a bizzare angle to maximize vertical space. I have also mounted everything with recycled network cables =D not only am i recycling but the cables help to absorb vibrations due to their squishyness.

Notice the door to left is always shut? yup simple idea, half the possible problems for air sealing. String attached to top and bottom is run around bolts in the divider timber and tied so tight you can play banjo on them.

To make the door on right easily closeable i tried many latches from hardware store. To my suprise and after trying many options, Magnets are the best option they have huge holding power compared to any latch! i put 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom and they suck the door shut despite the pressure of the gap seals trying to open it.

This shows the air pathways my system takes before its blown into the flowering chamber.
I basicly stuffed a precision cut piece of mdf into the cupboard where the base of bottom drawer would normally slide in the only gap allowing air from underneath itself, with a gap at the base & back of the cupboard allowing air intake.

airflow5.jpg

HTH

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi man,just my 2 cents here...I'm thinking you're going to have some trouble.As I can see in the pics the tips and the edges of the leaves are burned...this is not good!
I'don't know tour setup and stuff you are using...but it seems to be like a salt damage!Are you sure your TDS value is correct?I live in Europe and use EC tester with differents values,so I don't know how to convert it.

HighTech

updates

updates

noreason> I appreciate you taking the time to worry for me :). Its ok though! as soon as the burnt tips spread to mid leaf i backed off nutes. I then however found their limit again when i changed rez and backed off again, this time by %25. I didnt actually ppm it as yet but their loving it as youll see.

After taking this photo i plucked the AK48 #3 on the far right youll see the new positions in my next post but now i will have a very even canopy as cheese and big bang catch up in their LUMEN hotspots

Latest posts

Latest posts