What's new

My attic buildout

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The attic is a real pain to get dialed in I think unless you build the house yourself. Which just happens to be my case! Below are some pics of the buildout. The ENTIRE house was framed in with Tech Shield. It's a radiant barrier that radiates 85% of the suns heat. I then blew foam in throughout the ceiling in the attic. This all equals to R60 in the attic and R24 throughout the rest of the house. I live in the deep south and it can be 100 degrees outside and it doesn't get above 80 in the attic with NO A/C yet!! It's beyond awesome. And I'm suspecting that FLIR will have a tough time picking up anything. Here are the pics.

This is a picture from when you walk into the attic door. There are two large rooms. The bathroom, the dry and cure room, and in the back is the veg room.

Picture in the second large room. Bathroom is to the right. To the immediate left is the dry and cure room, and that entry way in the back is the veg room.

The veg room. Notice the dummy walls. It says cool in there too! I could only get half of it in the picture.

Insulation in the dummy walls.

I'll post some more pictures tonight. The sheet rock is up and getting floated and the ventilation system is in. :joint:

Last edited:

Dank-j

No doubt, probably the most thought out attic setup I've seen thus far.

How much was it for that blow-in insulation?

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
TAGGED

TAGGED

Very nice. 80F temps in the summer sounds great for an attic.
Good Luck.

MARLO

C

cellardweller

extremely well thought out, Gramps..taggin up for this thread fer certain!
strains, lights, medium?? whatchoo gonna do??

madpenguin

That is a very nice space you have. I love attic grows. Far superior to anything else as long as you have the money and the know how. That area is going to be oh so easy to control climate in. I envy you.

I rent and already had a finished attic but insulation is poor and it's all plaster and lathing to boot. Must have been fun to do all that from scratch.

That is going to be one bad ass space to grow in.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
That's starting to look like one great attic for growing. Keep up the good work :joint:

-Funk

PharmaCan

Veteran
That is a very nice space you have. I love attic grows. Far superior to anything else as long as you have the money and the know how. That area is going to be oh so easy to control climate in. I envy you.

I rent and already had a finished attic but insulation is poor and it's all plaster and lathing to boot. Must have been fun to do all that from scratch.

That is going to be one bad ass space to grow in.

Have you ever thought of lining it with rigid insulation? It wouldn't be all that hard to do and you could take the insulation with you when you leave.

PC

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the compliments guys, I really appreciate it. This is my new setup. I caught a case of cancer 4 years ago and decided I needed to make my own medicine. I'm not going to rig all of this out yet though lol. I'm waiting on legalization to happen (hopefully <15 years) and I'll be good for early retirement.

I plan on running up to 6k (maybe 4k) until my state or the country pulls its head out of its ass. Definitely staying under 100 plants. Right now I'm vegging in another location (mine too) it's falling apart though. It will be tore down when this place is done. The lights will be air cooled with a 6inch fan and there is a carbon scrubber pumping into the dead space which will have an ozone generator that cycles every ten minutes just for safety before it is exhausted outside.

Each large room has room has a Sonya 18btu AC unit. You see these all the time in Southeast Asia.

http://www.sanyohvac.com/productList.php?cat1=2&cat2=11

They are great for maintaining smell and are really energy efficient.

As far as strains and such right now I'm vegging 3 G Bomb (Big Buddha Seeds) clones that I cut from one mom that was getting too unruly and was in the wrong system (the place is taking longer than I expected to get built, as always though)

I'm going to throw these into flower as soon as this place is done and start some Island Sweet Skunk or Chemdog BX2 now that I'm comfortable with cloning and working with the plant. I use Lucas formula Flora Nova series Veg and Bloom. Planned two weeks flush. My favorite acronym is KISS (Keep it Simple Stupid), but done right. Eventually this will have CO2. I designed the layout to be extremely flexible. Umm, I'm pretty stoned.

The floor is going to be laid with commercial rubber tile (think hospital) and the walls painted flat white. The insulation for the whole house was $9g :yoinks: But, I'm looking at this as a long term investment so I think it's worth it. The foam upstairs was probably about 5 of that 9. I'll dig the receipt out in a bit.

Here is a pic of the girls that are waiting to go into the big house (under 1000w MH). For right now I'm running a tree-bucket system. These aren't hooked to my rez and.... well lets say I'm ready to move to my new place. I'm pheno hunting right now and will buy a table 4x8 table when I find something I really like.

I'm still learning. I love this hobby and this plant. It saved me from a nasty addiction with the cancer pain meds. I hope to help others the same way one day. And get this shit legalized!! :woohoo: :joint:

Last edited:

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here are some more pictures with the progress taken today. The entire house is probably 1.5 months out from being complete. Then another few days to move and setup the op.

Sheetrock on and almost floated. The first big room when you walk in is going to be my smoke room, pool table. Carbon scrubbed of course. Eventually, I can expand it into another flower room down the road. Notice the water connection run in the the back right. The AC is a 18btu Sonya Unit.

This is going to be my main flower room. Notice the intake vent in the far left corner. The dry/cure room is next, with the veg door all the way in the back. To the right is the shower area. You are looking at the shower itself. Designed for cleaning large rez's

Here is a pic of the intake pulling from the outside. Notice the homemade HEPA filter to keep all the baddies out. I put this is because I don't have CO2 right. Even when I do put CO2 I still want the ability to change air every once in a while (I know you don't really need to but..)

Here is a pic of the other dummy wall with the exhaust. Each big room has a fan pulling air. I will however leave those off. Negative pressure will be created through my carbon scrubber. It will easily tie into the existing exhaust. Also notice the black pipe sticking out. That is my natural gas run. It's actually connected to a 150gal propane tank outside. This is in the country where you have to put in your own sewer, so this is not odd. I'll run my CO2 generator off of that.

Another shot of the intake going into the rooms.

I'll have to say this has been a lot of fun to design from the ground up. It's not light on the pocket book by any means and it has taken a lot of work, but it will be usable for a long time.

PharmaCan

Veteran
Don't forget to get your federal tax credit for your insulation. It's not that much money, compared to the cost, but there's something about the Gov't subsidizing your growroom that just sounds like it would feel good.

PC

B

bonecarver_OG

awesome :D i did the complete oposite. i sorted out my op in the basement :D here with the intense heat in summer its the best bet.

awsome set up with lots of versatility and options speakin as a grower and contractor...good job. not familar with the ac ya spoke of. make sure the btu can handle all the extra heat you will be adding once ya have evey thing running there is a good thread on here to help fig it out. since ya already have so much invested i would consider spending the money on the ir blocker as well(hate to see all that time money and love invested go to waste):wallbash: but im a lil paranoid about thoes damm birds and there sensors. and with bigger setups i was reading a lil bit into doing a "control room set up" always thought that sounded cool best of luck watching this one for sure....oh and sorry to hear about your bout with cancer lost family and friends glad to see ya made it through it bro keep up the good work...ohh yea ive heard that you can get a break on electric bill for some of the insulation of other energy savers you are doing just fyi never hurts to ask peace....

Last edited: