What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Induction of Fertile Male Flowers in Genetically Complex Female Cannabis

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
I don't have the full 1.3mb PDF of this (anybody got a spare $35? :)), but there's still a lot of good info on the first page which i present here.

For those not aware, certain substances that affect ethylene production such as colloidal/ionic silver, silver theosulphate, giberrilic acid etc can be used to force a female plant to produce pollen. Any plants then pollenated as a result will produce feminised seeds - they will all grow into females, because the pollen is from a female - not a male (as per regular seeds).

See the link in my signature for an easy DIY guide which uses colloidal silver (easier and safer to use than gibberillic acid/silver nitrate/silver thiosulphate), plus you can even easily make it yourself if you want!). There is also a distinct quote in this university paper that describes how colloidal silver was much more effective than gibberrelic acid.

Induction of Fertile Male Flowers in Genetically Female Cannabis Sativa Plants by Silver Nitrate and Silver Thiosulphate Anionic Complex
H.Y. Mohan Ram and R. Sett
Department of Botany, University of Delhi, Delhi (India), 1982

Summary
Apical application of silver nitrate (AgNO~ ; 50 and 100 ~μg per plant) and silver thiosulphate anionic complex (Ag(S203)~-; STS; 25, 50 and 100 ~μg per plant) to female plants of Cannabis sativa induced the formation of reduced male, intersexual and fully altered male flowers on the newly formed primary lateral branches (PLBs); 10 ~μg per plant of AgNO3 was ineffective and 150 ~μg treatment proved inhibitory. A maximum number of fully altered male flowers were formed in response to 100 ~μg STS. The induced male flowers produced pollen grains that germinated on stigmas and effected seed set. Silver ion applied as STS was more effective than AgNO3 in inducing flowers of altered sex. The induction of male flowers on female plants demonstrated in this work is useful for producing seeds that give rise to only female plants. This technique is also useful for maintaining gynoecious lines. [note - gynoecious means the plant only produces female flowers, for example if your friend gives you a female clone and you needed to make seeds from it you could use these tricks]

Introduction
Sex expression in flowering plants is regulated by genetic, environmental and hormonal factors. There is evidence that specific endogenous hormones play an important role in maintaining the genetic sex, and that sex can be modified through exogenous growth regulators, especially in the sexually polymorphic systems (Heslop-Harrison 1964). In general gibberellins favour male sex expression and auxin, ethylene and cytokinins promote female sex expression in various monoecious and dioecious systems (Mohan Ram 1980). Treatments which reduce the ethylene level in the tissues (hypo-baric conditions, treatment with benzothiodiazole) or antagonize the action of ethylene (CO2) cause the formation of male or bisexual flowers in place of female ones (Byers et al. 1972). Recently silver ion has been shown to interfere with ethylene action, presumably at the ethylene receptor sites (Beyer 1976a). Following the report by Beyer (1976b) that the application of silver nitrate (AgNOs) initiates male flower formation in gynoecious cucumber, it has been recently shown in four cucumber lines that silver ion is superior to GA3 (gibberillic acid) for male flower induction (Kalloo 1978; Tolla and Peterson 1979). In the pistillate 240 line of Ricinus communis (Ankineedu and Rao 1973) an internodal injection of aqueous silver nitrate solution induced fertile male flowers on the strictly pistillate primary terminal raceme (Mohan Ram and Sett 1980). Using labelled silver (110 m Ag), Veen and van de Geijn (1978) showed that silver applied as silver thiosulphate anionic complex (STS) is transported faster (2 mh-l) than AgNO3 (3 cm day -1) and that it completely counteracts the ethylene effect and significantly extends the vase-life of carnations (Veen 1979). A preliminary report from this laboratory showed that apical application of silver nitrate (100 ~μg/plant) induces fertile male flowers in female Cannabis plants (Sarath and Mohan Ram 1979). The present investigation was undertaken with the objective of establishing the minimal and optimal dosage of AgNO~ required to modify the sex expression of female plants of Cannabis sativa and also to find out whether STS acts as an ethylene antagonist in male sex induction.

Last edited:

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Excellent post, dude. My only questions are how much is a "tg"? And does that number even count since STS is technically different stuff?

A maximum number of fully altered male flowers were formed in response to 100 ~tg STS.

Guess it's pretty hard to screw up anyway, by all accounts, but it would be a good number to aim for.

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
"tg" should actually be μg, but the unicode character translation initially fell over sorry. I'll update the original post now :redface:

1 μg = 1 microgram, which is 1/1,000,000th of 1 gram. In other words, 20μg is 20 parts-per-million (ppm).

2stoge

Thanks for posting this, its interesting that this states,

"The induction of male flowers on female plants demonstrated in this work is useful for producing seeds that give rise to only female plants."

I keep hearing that feminised seeds are not 100% female, more like 80-90% female. What's up with that?

PhenoMenal have you gotten any males in your femmed seeds?

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
I keep hearing that feminised seeds are not 100% female, more like 80-90% female. What's up with that?
Interesting percentages ... you're hearing that from people who have 0% clue ... :)
Please ask them to explain their science methodology behind being able to get 10-20% males from pollen created by a female plant, because it seems they're defying genetics. :)

I'm no expert but I have been using feminised seeds for 5 years now with 100% success, and have made my own feminised seeds - also with 100% success during both creation and growing, and I enjoy reading up about the science behind it. Ethylene inhibitors/antagonists aren't only used with cannabis so there is a lot of reading material out there for the curious - that's how I found this :)

But the authors of that University paper ARE experts, and the proven science of forcing female cannabis plants to produce fertile pollen is nothing new. All of this is well known to those in the science community and has been for a long time ... it's just proving hard to sort the myths out from the facts when it comes to its application with cannabis, but we're getting there! :)

My understanding is that when you force a female to produce pollen there is no male DNA in that pollen, this is why the resulting seeds made from this pollen all turn out female.

YES, feminised seeds can still turn out hermaphrodites (just as regular seeds can), and that seems to be where people get confused,
but NO - they cannot turn out male (if that happens then it's the result of regular pollen from a male, not the feminised pollen).

Hermaphrodites have nothing to do with feminised seeds, but rather the ability of a strain to tolerate stresses (including temperature stress, light poisoning, nutrient deficiency etc), as well as its own genetic history of hermaphroditic prevalance. Actually the only hermaphrodites I've ever grown were from regular seeds.

Indeed, cannabis even seems to have made hermaphroditism its "last ditch effort" to save itself ... many strains, when grown well beyond their usual flowering period, will create a few pollen bananas. (Soma calls this "Rhodelization" ... I, with all due respect, call it "waiting forever" :) ... it's another method of creating feminised seeds because the pollen from these is feminised too, but it's the slowest method, it doesn't always succeed being very strain-dependent, and it doesn't result in many bananas to use).

To prevent hermaphrodites, breeders (of both regular and feminised seeds) - at least the quality breeders - do stress-testing on their females first, to ensure it's a hardy stress-resistant plant.

Last edited:

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Alright, one more question if I may, and it's a shocker. I've only ever spoken EC, and PPM confuses the crap out of me...Does 20 ppm = 0.2 ec? :eek::

Aren't there recessed male genes even in a true female? I was under the (highly uneducated btw) impression that the very occasional reports of males was due to these hidden genes being expressed for whatever weird reason. None of this is factual, it's just how I absorbed it from my readings. Is it full of shit?

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
ScrubNinja actually you pose two very interesting questions there :)

I've only ever spoken EC, and PPM confuses the crap out of me...Does 20 ppm = 0.2 ec?
Get a 'Truncheon Wand', they're fairly inexpensive and allow you to measure your EC along with PPM, and CF in the one go. I've never used it for colloidal silver though, simply for my nutrient reservoir. My truncheon wand has two PPM 'fields' - ECx500, and ECx700, and yes EC and PPM are directly related / calculatable, as is CF.

Here are some equivilants ...
P1 = PPM {EC x 500}
P2 = PPM {EC x 700}

EC P1 P2 CF
0.2 100 140 2
1.0 500 700 10
1.4 700 980 14
2.0 1000 1400 20
3.6 1800 2520 36

Aren't there recessed male genes even in a true female? I was under the (highly uneducated btw) impression that the very occasional reports of males was due to these hidden genes being expressed for whatever weird reason. None of this is factual, it's just how I absorbed it from my readings. Is it full of shit?
This is an EXCELLENT question and I wish I had the answer - I don't, and I suspect only genuine biologists would know for sure, so I'd say we should treat any posts relating to that with optimistic caution :)

Last edited:

ibjamming

Veteran
From what I remember...

There are X and Y sex chromosomes... Without a Y chromosome...you technically can't have a male. But...there are gene mutations and combination that can make a female APPEAR male. Or with plants...produce male flowers.

I true female (not XXY) has NO male genes. It certainly has genes passed on BY a male...but nothing "male" which is only found on the Y chromosome.

2stoge

I wonder if a plant can make female pollen and hermie at the same time? Does the female pollen and a hermie look different enough to identify one as a hermie and one as female pollen?

(btw I have only personally seen hermies so I dont actually know how the female pollen appear. PhenoMenal I will check out your other thread for pictures. Thanks again for keeping the information coming.)

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
I wonder if a plant can make female pollen and hermie at the same time? Does the female pollen and a hermie look different enough to identify one as a hermie and one as female pollen?
There's varying levels of hermaphroditism. If you have a true hermaphrodite then don't bother using it for creating any seeds, either regular or feminised, as you'll simply be passing on this undesirable trait to the offspring.

Some strains are known to throw out just a few bananas during the latter stages of flowering, and they're generally nothing to worry about, especially as pollenation levels from them are very low (so you'll end up with a few seeds but mostly sinsemilla) - you can even manually pull them off if you like, though I wouldn't refer to this as a hermaphrodite. Rather it's more a last-ditch survival function. Yes you can use that pollen to create feminised seeds because it's the same deal -- pollen coming from a female rather than a male.

But for the best results the strain should be stress-tested to ensure it's a reliable female, before attempting to create either regular or feminised seeds from her.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
From what I remember...

There are X and Y sex chromosomes... Without a Y chromosome...you technically can't have a male. But...there are gene mutations and combination that can make a female APPEAR male. Or with plants...produce male flowers.

I true female (not XXY) has NO male genes. It certainly has genes passed on BY a male...but nothing "male" which is only found on the Y chromosome.

Thanks bro, what I don't get is that the plant can only work with the genes (or chromawhatevers) it has (or has hidden). We haven't applied a gene or modified one, to my knowledge, with the CS. I see what you say about "modifying" but that doesn't make sense to my battered old mind. If there were truly no maleness hidden away, how does it know to make a male product, pollen, in the shape of a male flower?

If we have an apparently true female, and rhodelize it, we indeed haven't modified anything at all via chemicals etc! So where does it get this knowledge to produce male flowers if not from it's genetics? Why doesn't it produce some random abstract flower?

Hey 2stoge:

Hermie is just a mix of the two.

Last edited:

Shrek

Will self-pollinated female seeds be a carbon-copy of the original mom, or is there some variation? To tell the truth, I wish some seeds were true males, this would be a fast track to cubing.

Thanks bro, what I don't get is that the plant can only work with the genes (or chromawhatevers) it has (or has hidden). We haven't applied a gene or modified one, to my knowledge, with the CS. I see what you say about "modifying" but that doesn't make sense to my battered old mind. If there were truly no maleness hidden away, how does it know to make a male product, pollen, in the shape of a male flower?

If we have an apparently true female, and rhodelize it, we indeed haven't modified anything at all via chemicals etc! So where does it get this knowledge to produce male flowers if not from it's genetics? Why doesn't it produce some random abstract flower?

Hey 2stoge:

Hermie is just a mix of the two.

scrub, this point you bring up is the exact issue I could never wrap my head around, either. i have always said here that I am least educated in the genetics (f1,2,3; IBL, CS'd females creating seeds......i agree, the genetic coding must provide for some conduit or mutation to allow the male characteristic(pollen/banana) to present itself. ergo my issue, how the hell does a pure female have the ability to present male counterparts??? sooooo confusing, please help me Phenomenal!!! lol. great thread, thanx for the info & clarifications.

oldskool55

Because the female plant carries the XX set of genes. Flowers that form on said plant can only carry the same XX genes. Hence, 'female' pollen, begatting only female seeds begatting only female plants. Simple high school biology!

Two-Dogs

Are the offspring exact genetic copies of the parent plant? I mean do the offspring of femmed seeds show variation or are they true breeding from the parent? (assuming here the mother is also the father)

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The very same genetic map mixing takes place from a forced pollination as does with a regular pollination. Clones provide the only exact genetic copies of parents.

In the case of a regular pollination using a male, it is a good thing to use multiple males from the same generation to spread out the genetic possibilities. On the same hand, the breeder of fem seeds may want to use mulitple forced females to increase the genetic possibilities, since each female of the group is going to have it's own individual map. The grouping provides the diversity needed to continue vigor.

Induction of Fertile Male Flowers in Genetically Female Cannabis sativa Plants by Silver Nitrate and Silver Thiosulphate Anionic Complex

H.Y. Mohan Ram and R. Sett Department of Botany, University of Delhi, Delhi (India)

Summary.

Apical application of silver nitrate (AgNO3 ; 50 and 100 ~mikrog per plant) and silver thiosulphate anionic complex ( STS; 25, 50 and 100 ~mikrog per plant) to female plants of Cannabis sativa induced the formation of reduced male, intersexual and fully altered male flowers on the newly formed primary lateral branches (PLBs); 10 ~mikrog per plant of AgNO3 was ineffective and 150 ~mikrog treatment proved inhibitory. A maximum number of fully altered male flowers were formed in response to 100 ~mikrog STS. The induced male flowers produced pollen grains that germinated on stigmas and effected seed set. Silver ion applied as STS was more effective than AgNO3 in inducing flowers of altered sex. The induction of male flowers on female plants demonstrated in this work is useful for producing seeds that give rise to only female plants. This technique is also useful for maintaining gynoecious lines.

Key words: Cannab& sativa,Sex expression,Silver nitrate,Silver thiosulphate anionic complex

Introduction

Sex expression in flowering plants is regulated by genetic, environmental and hormonal factors. There is evidence that specific endogenous hormones play an important role in maintaining the genetic sex, and that sex can be modified through exogenous growth regu- lators, especially in the sexually polymorphic systems (Heslop-Harrison 1964). In general gibberellins favour male sex expression and auxin, ethylene and cytokinins promote female sex expression in various monoecious and dioecious systems (Mohan Ram 1980). Treatments which reduce the ethylene level in the tissues (hypo- baric conditions, treatment with benzothiodiazole) or antagonize the action of ethylene (CO2) cause the formation of male or bisexual flowers in place of female ones (Byers et al. 1972).
Recently silver ion has been shown to interfere with ethylene action, presumably at the ethylene recep-tor sites (Beyer 1976a). Following the report by Beyer (1976b) that the application of silver nitrate (AgNOs) initiates male flower formation in gynoecious cucum- ber, it has been recently shown in four cucumber lines that silver ion is superior to GA3 for male flower induc- tion (Kalloo 1978; Tolla and Peterson 1979). In the pistillate 240 line of Ricinus communis (Ankineedu and Rao 1973) an internodal injection of aqueous silver nitrate solution induced fertile male flowers on the strictly pistillate primary terminal raceme (Mohan Ram and Sett 1980). Using labelled silver (110 m Ag), Veen and van de Geijn (1978 ) showed that silver applied as silver thiosulphate anionic complex (STS) is trans-ported faster (2 mh-l) than AgNO3 (3 cm day -1) and that it completely counteracts the ethylene effect and sig- nificantly extends the vase-life of carnations (Veen 1979).

A preliminary report from this laboratory showed that apical application of silver nitrate (100 ~mikrog/plant) induces fertile male flowers in female Cannabis plants (Sarath and Mohan Ram 1979). The present investiga- tion was undertaken with the objective of establishing the minimal and optimal dosage of AgNO~ required to modify the sex expression of female plants of Cannabis sativa and also to find out whether STS acts as an ethylene antagonist in male sex induction.

Material and Methods

Seedlings of Cannabis sativa growing naturally in the Botani- cal Garden of the Department were transplanted at the 3- or 4-leaf stage to 25 cm wide earthenware pots filled with garden soil, in November, 1980. The sex of the plants was determined after flower initiation. Only female plants were selected for study. These plants have a pair of sessile female flowers at the
base of each leaf. Each female flower bears a boat-shaped, green, glandular perigynous bract. Inside the bract lies the ovary, whose base is partly surrounded by a papery cupule. The style is highly reduced and bears two elongated unequal papillate stigmas (Fig. 1 a inset). In contrast, the male flowers (on male plants) are borne in clusters (15-17 flowers at each node) and bear five tepals and five stamens.
Either an aqueous solution of AgNO~ or of silver thiosul- phate anionic complex [Ag(S20~)~-; (STS); 1 silver nitrate (AgNO3); 8 sodium thiosulphate (Na2S203) w/w] was applied to the growing shoot tip of the female plants with the help of a
0.01 ml pipette. Tween-80 (0.01%) was used as the surfactant. A 10 vtl drop of the test compound was applied each day for 5 days to make up the total amount. Ten plants were main- tained for each treatment. The plants had received 50, 100, 150 ~mikrog/plant of AgNO3 or 25, 50, 100 ~mikrog/plant of STS each, by the end of the fifth day. The control plants received the surfactant solution only. The viability of the pollen grains was tested either by immersing the pollen in 2,3,5-triphenyl 2 H- tetrazolium chloride (TTC; Nutritional Biochemical Corpora- tion, Cleveland, Ohio, USA) for 3 to 5 min or by germinating the freshly collected pollen from the induced male flowers in a medium consisting of 7% sucrose and 1% agar.

Results

In response to the 50 and 100 ~mikrog treatments, the young leaves covering the shoot apex turned black (after the final treatment), giving a burnt appearance. Apical growth was suspended and the shoot tip resumed its activity 20-25 days after the final treatment. The in-crement in height as ascertained 48 days after treat-ment, showed no marked difference from that of the controls (Table 1). The number of nodes was signifi-cantly higher in the treated plants (Table 1). On ac-count of a temporary cessation of growth of the shoot meristem in the above two treatments, apical domi-nance was released and the primary lateral branches (PLBs) elongated, surpassing the length of those present in the control plants (Fig. 1 a). These branches bore flowers of the following sex types: (i) female (?); (ii) intersexual (8; flowers bearing both female and male organs Fig. l d); (iii) reduced male (Rg; flowers having four or fewer stamens, Fig. 1 e) and (iv) male (g; bearing 5 stamens with a copious amount of pollen grains, Fig. 1 f). Figure 1 b shows an excised PLB from the 100 ~mikrog treatment, in which induced male flowers are seen. A minimum of eight newly formed PLBs bearing flowers of altered sex were present in all treated plants. Data collected from these have been presented in Table 1. There was a distinct change in the sex of the flowers appearing on the main axis after treatment but in view of the larger number of flowers formed on the PLBs, data were collected only from these. The total number of flowers formed on each PLB was higher in the treated plants than in the controls. This was because of the greater lengths of the PLBs on the treated plants and also because of higher flower number per node (as compared to the restricted num-ber of female flowers at each node on the control plants). Surprisingly, with both the treatments an in-crease in the percentage of flowers bearing an altered sex (out of the total number of flowers) was noticed from position 1 to 8 of the PLBs (from base upwards), (Table 1).

femstudypics1.jpg

femstudypics.jpg

The shoot tip became black, dried up completely and failed to revive in response to the highest amount of AgNO3 applied (150 ~mikrog per plant). The little incre- ment in height that occurred was due to internodal elongation (Table 1). The young leaves already present became yellow and abscised without further expansion. The suppressed primary lateral branches arising at the lower nodes of the main axis became highly stimulated and caused the plants to become bushy. Surprisingly, these branches bore only a few abortive female flowers.

In another experiment it was found that 10~mikrog AgNO3 was ineffective in modifying sex expression and 25 ~mikrog treatment caused only the first three newly formed PLBs (from base upwards) to bear a maximum number of flowers of altered sex along with normal female flowers. However, the percentage of flowers bearing altered sex along each PLB in plants treated with 25 ~mikrog was lower than that formed in 50 ~mikrog treat- ment.
Three amounts of STS, namely 25, 50 and 100 ~mikrog per plant, were selected on the basis of previous ex-perience with AgNO~. The shoot tips of the treated plants became black and appeared dry in response to all the three dosages of STS. The young leaves present at the time of treatment became decolourised and their shapes changed drastically at maturity. The average leaf area in control, 25, 50 and 100 ~mikrog treatments were 30.12, 14.46, 9.64 and 6.02 cm 2 respectively. The shoot tip resumed its growth 20-25 days after treatment with 25 and 50 ~mikrog STS, whereas when treated with 100 ~mikrog, it failed to recover. The newly formed leaves in the former two treatments were also small and deformed. Treatment with 25 ~mikrog of STS caused only a marginal stimulation in height, although the node number was nearly doubled (Table 2). In plants that were given 50 ~mikrog of the compound, the height was significantly lower than that of the control, although the node number remained unchanged. In response to 100 ~mikrog of STS, the shoot tip ceased to grow further and the small increment in height resulted entirely from internodal elongation (Table2). It may be inferred that cell elongation was more drastically affected than cell division in response to 25 and 50 ~mikrog per plant. In these treatments the upper nodes produced PLBs with flowers of altered sex (Table 2). Data presented in Table 2 pertain to the first eight PLBs formed after treatment, since a maximum number of flowers bearing altered sex were present on them. Although the length of these branches was not significantly different from that in the controls, the total number of flowers per branch in the treated plants was higher, resulting in an aggregation of flowers at the nodes. In the treatment with 50 ~mikrog, the number of female flowers formed on each PLB was less and the percentage of altered flowers was more than that formed in response to 25 ~mikrog. In plants receiving 100 ~mikrog, the first three nodes (which had no PLBs at the time of treatment) put out highly elongated PLBs which bore a large number of flowers of altered sex along with some female flowers (Table 2). Interestingly, the number of fully altered male flowers was significantly greater than that of the reduced males, intersexual and female flowers. Also, in each branch the number of altered flowers was higher in the upper nodes, resulting in the clustering of male flowers towards the apex. The percentage of altered flowers out of the total number of flowers present on each branch was much higher in the 100 ~mikrog (Fig. 1 c) treatment than that in the 25 and 50 9g treatments.
Irrespective of the extent of masculinization (whether male, reduced male or intersexual condition) caused by treatment with either AgNO3 or STS, the anthers in the flowers of altered sex contained a large quantity of viable pollen grains as ascertained by the tetrazolium test. The viable pollen grains also ger-minated within half an hour of incubation in agar- sucrose medium (Fig. 1 g). To test the ability of pollen for germination and for effecting seed set, the stigmas of unpollinated female flowers were pollinated with the pollen from induced male flowers and bagged. The handpollinated female flowers developed seeded fruits, whereas those left unpollinated and bagged failed to do so and abscised. Thus pollen from induced male flowers were capable of inducing seed set. On the basis of our previous experiments (Jaiswal 1972) we presume that the progeny of these seeds would be 100% pistil- late, although in this particular experiment the sex of the plants has not been scored.

Discussion

The present investigation has substantiated the earlier work done in this laboratory by Sarath and Mohan Ram (1979) and has established that apical application of AgNO3 to the female plants of Cannabis stimulates the development of male flowers. Additionally, the experiments have shown that 50 and 100 ~mikrog amounts of AgNO3 are most effective in inducing fertile male flowers at the newly formed nodes on the main axis and also on the freshly formed PLBs. Treatment with
10 fig proved ineffective whereas application of 150 ~mikrog strongly inhibited the growth of the apical and lateral meristems.
Silver ion applied as AgNO3 was shown by Beyer (1976a) to block the action or" the exogenously applied ethylene. He demonstrated this phenomenon in the classical 'triple' response (which included growth retardation, stem swelling and horizontal growth) in intact etiolated peas; in leaf, flower and fruit abscission in cotton, and in the senescence of Cattleya. In a gynoecious cucumber plant, AgNO~ effectively shifted the sex expression from female to male (Beyer 1976b). Intersexual and staminate flowers were induced by AgNO3 treatment in other gynoecious cucumber lines by Kalloo (1978 ), Atsmon and Tabbak (1979) and Tolla and Peterson (1979). Curiously in a monoecious cucumber, AgNO3 nullified the effect of mechanical stress and induced pistillate flower production (Taka- hashi and Suge 1980).
The present work has also shown that STS is more effective than AgNO3 in inducing male flowers on female plants. The number of male flowers induced per plant and the percentage of flowers of altered sex along each PLB were higher in STS treatment. STS counter- acted the ethylene effect in carnations and extended their vase-life significantly (Veen 1979). In the same plant, a 10-minute pulse treatment with STS (0.1 mM Ag) doubled the vase-life of the flowers (Reid et al. 1980). Dimalla and Van Staden (1980) have also demon-strated that the shelf-life of carnations can be dramati- cally increased by immersing the cut end in STS for 10 min. The present study has indicated that applica- tion of silver in the anionic complex is more effective than that in the cationic form. Additionally the present investigation has clearly demonstrated that STS also triggers male sex expression in female plants of Can-" nabis sativa probably by blocking the action of ethyl- ene. Chemical induction of male flowers is thus a means of producing guaranteed female plants or of maintaining gynoecious lines through the production of seeds following selfing in female plants. If properly exploited, this technique should be highly rewarding in crop improvement programmes.

Literature

Ankineedu, G.; Rao, N.G.P. (1973): Development of pistillate castor. Indian J. Genet. Plant Breed. 33, 416-422
Atsmon, D.; Tabbak, C. (1979): Comparative effects of gib- berellin, silver nitrate and aminoethoxyvinyl glycine on sexual tendency and ethylene evolution in the cucumber plant (Cucumis sativus L.). Plant Cell Physiol. 20, 1547-1556
Beyer, E.M. (1976 a): A potent inhibitor of ethylene action in plants. Plant Physiol. 58, 268-271 Beyer, E.M. (1976b): Silver ion: A potent antiethylene agent in cucumber and tomato. HortScience 11, 195-196
Byers, R.E.; Baker, L.R.; Sell, H.M.; Herner, R.C.; Dilley, D. (1972): Ethylene: a natural regulator of sex expression of Cucumis melo L. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. (USA)69, 717-720
H. Y. Mohan Ram and R. Sett: Induction of Male Flowers in Genetically Female Cannabis Plants
Dimalla, G.G.; Van Staden, J. (1980): The effect of silver thio- sulphate preservative on the physiology of cut carnations I. Influence on longevity and carbohydrate status. Z. Pflan- zenphysiol. 99, 9-17
Heslop-Harrison, J. (1964): Sex expression in flowering plants. Brookhaven Symp. Biol. 16, 109-122
Jaiswal, V.S. (1972): Effect of some growth regulators on extension growth and sex expression of Cannabis sativa L. Ph. D. Thesis submitted to the University of Delhi, Delhi, India
Kalloo, S. (1978 ): Chemical induction of staminate flowers in four determinate gynoecious lines of pickling cucumber. Gartenbau 43, 280-282
Mohan Ram, H.Y. (1980): Hormones and flower sex. Plant Biochem. J. S.M. Sircar Memorial Volume, pp. 77-88
Mohan Ram, H.Y.; Sett, R. (1980): Induction of male flowers in a pistillate line of Ricinus communis L. by silver and cobalt ions. Planta 149, 413-415
Reid, M.S.; Paul, J.L.; Farhoomand, M.B.; Kofranek, A.M.; Staby, G.L. (1980): Pulse treatment with silver thiosul- phate complex extends the vase life of cut carnations. J. Am. Soc. Hort. Sci. 105, 25-27
Sarath, G.; Mohan Ram, H.Y. (1979): Comparative effect of silver ion and gibberellic acid on the induction of male flowers on female Cannabis plants. Experientia 35, 333-334
Takahashi, H.; Suge, H. (1980): Sex expression in cucumber plants as affected by mechanical stress. Plant Cell Physiol. 21, 303-310
Tolla, G.E.; Peterson, G.E. (1979): Comparison of gibberellin A4/A7 and silver nitrate for induction of staminate flowers in a gynoecious cucumber line. HortScience 14, 542-544
Veen, H. (1979): Effects of silver on ethylene synthesis and action in cut carnations. Planta 145, 467-470
Veen, H.; van de Geijn, S.C. (1978 ): Mobility and ionic forms of silver as related to longevity of cut carnations. Planta 140, 93-96
Received November 15, 1981 Accepted February 1, 1982 Communicated by D. von Wcttstein
Prof. Dr. H.Y. Mohan Ram Dr. R. Sett Department of Botany University of Delhi Delhi- 110007 (India)