What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Canna Coco Slab, Closet, 90wLED/400whps Legal budget grow

hey all! legal smoker here, working on self sustainment with a combo of indoor closet and cab grows.
my gameplan is to have a constant rotation of fresh bomb herbs to smoke to my hearts content. right now i got some purple kush, we will see what its like when im done with this first batch. its from clone, and has grown great thus far.
i have a 90w UFO grow light, im told its a 3rd gen, it has red, blue, and white led lights and im SUPER impressed by this little light. the heat it puts off is almost nothing, and my plant loves it! bright enough to bleach the leaves! :yoinks: it was also a super steal off craigslist @ 50$. stoked. using it for veg only.
i also have a 400w hps with a lumatek digital ballast and lumatek coolable hood. another craigs special at 150$. will be PLENTY of light for my closet.
my closet, basic size, two sliding doors. all white paint, though i want to cover all the white with mylar.
my ventilation, i have a 5" vent hose running from the closet door to my window. i need to figure out a cheap fan for the hose/hood. i have a stand alone portable ac unit, but i dont want to run it because it will use way too much power along with the 400w. temps are around 70-75 now, perfect! may end up using static ventilation with a intake fan pressurizing the closet and exhausting through the hood and out the window. input?
my setup is a 5 gallon bucket with a pond pump ran to a drip system with 4gph drippers. i water 2x a day for 5 minutes, recurculating waste, need to filter the return lines to keep my res clean. im using canna coco slabs and plan to have 3 plants per slab. im also using the coco A+B, with rhizotonic, cannazyme, and a little epsom salt to fight off the mag def that has slowed development since the start. my water is ran through a brita filter and that knocks my ph down from 7.0-7.5 to 6.0-6.5 after my nutes are buffered it holds steady around 6.5. i change the 2.5(10L) tank weekly. and have been ramping up the nutes on her.
my clone chamber is a clear tubberware bin with humidifier runs 2x a day for 5mins. this is my first attempt at cloning and so far the cuttings look great and are supporting their own weight already at 4 days. using some rooting hormone powder in coco treated with rhizotonic, very happy with the results and cant wait to take more cuts on mommy kush.
now heres where i kinda messed up, i got my mom on one end of my coco slab ready to flower and now i got some clones rooting in the same slab in the middle and other end. i know this is setting me back, but i really wanted to get a plant in the coco slab before it got too big and at 2.5 weeks it was already a pain to transplant! so now im going to veg out my mom along with her kids and bring them to flower in 3 weeks. i took some large clones. i will continue to clone off of mom during this time also looking for more strains.
now i may pull mom out of the canna and flower her somewhere else under the 400w. idk.. opinions??
now the pics!:D
0905090756.jpg

0905090756a.jpg

0905090756b.jpg

0919091452.jpg

0919091453.jpg

0919091453a.jpg

0919091453b.jpg

0921091953.jpg

0921091953a.jpg

0923092215.jpg

0923092215a.jpg

0926092006.jpg

0926092006a.jpg

0929091302.jpg

1002090756.jpg

1004091033.jpg

1004091033a.jpg

1004091033b.jpg

have u switched to 12/12 yet???

all looks well

and that 400 will put out quite a bit of heat compared to the UFO. u say you can air cool the light and vent through ducting out the window??? that would be good, but wouldnt u have to crack the closet door and thus have light leaks at night time??? i dont no...i personally do the whole wake up at 8am open the door, go back to sleep thing.

no i have not, yea shes gonna be huge! lol

i already got that figured out, using a piece of cardboard as a door extension then just trimmed the cardboard to match the hose. i can close the door and have it be almost totally light proof. im not even going to run the 400 until i get the fan figured out. need budget ideas!

so i pulled the clones from the slab, they havent started rooting yet.. kinda bummed, but it should be easier on the plants. also took some more cuttings so now i have a full clone chamber with 8 babies. hung my 400w now just need a fan setup.. hmmmm
1006091620.jpg

1006091619.jpg

1006091618.jpg

1006091620a.jpg

1006091621.jpg

1006091621a.jpg

1006091621b.jpg

1006091622.jpg

bty the 400 was only on for the pics ;)

A

Aleksis Stoned

You'll be stunned when you get to see the intensity of budding branches which will develop after hitting the led to 12hrs. IMHO it's better to train the plant to be a flat bush rather than long regular bush with one main cola with LED. Later on you'll notice really fast that the light of the LED won't penetrate the top layer.

If you don't have the opportunity to use that 400 HPS don't worry just add one smaller bulb to generate whiteish light to work with the LED.

OH yeah i really suggest to keep the LED for atleast 2 weeks from the moment you hit the lights to 12. After that i would change it to HPS if possible.

well today i started to give her a shorter light cycle. bumped an hour both ways. or should i just drop it to 12/12 with no creep?
i also took apart an old AC unit for the fan. hooked her up and man shes kickin ass! now i just need some 8" vent hose to connect the hood to it and a dimmer switch to turn down the rpm's a bit, 100% is overkill and louder than it needs to be.

nice work....so you plan on running the 400 with an air cooled hood?....sweet...im running a 250 with an air cooled......not a/c but just a duct fan shoved on the end of the reflector. they do need some sort of ventilation no matter how air cooled they are, or else they get to be around 90-and up in a room real quick. just a foot cracked door is enough to let in cooler let out hotter, diffusion.

but yea you shoud just flip to 12/12 theres no benefit of tapering off day light hours. When it notices a long 12 hour night consistiently, is when it starts flowering good.

when are you going to flip though.....hopefully sometime soon! that thing will stretch like a monster if it goes any longer

ok its not any part ac any more i just took the blower fans out of it! it was about 5 years old anyways.
i was going to start transitioning today to 12/12 but i will go change it now.

haha nice....youll appreciating seeing flowers sooner than had you waited! or maybe its just me?

ohh also the cardboard set up or what not, i dont no mna....all i no is that the room needs to be completely light proof. so not even small lines of light are allowed. this could prevent it from flowering in the first place, or force hermaphrodite organs and self pollenate itself...mmmm seedy weedy

ok i will light proof tomorrow, the cardboard was made for a 4" hose now i got a 6" it doesnt overlap as much. i got weather stripping sealing the doors already, just a little overhang and it will be tittys and beer!
oh and i will definetley be happy to see and smell the flowers, tho i will be sad that ill be harvesting after new years! time flys!

jackiee

sounds a pretty good setup i would drop the ph to between 5.5 and 5.8 and use calcium and magnesium instead of epsom salts stay lucky

wow just one night on 12 and they stretched like a mofo!
this is gonna be a BBW! :D

LOL tell me about it, i saw that plant i had to ask if it was in 12/12 yet because, frankly it needed to go IMMEDIATELY, being indoors in all!

and whats a BBW?????

also youll harvest after new years!? whaaaa!!?? is this a 12+ week sativa?
if so, ya gatta get indicas for indoors, i learned the hard way and grew 12+ week sativas indoors too. too much hassle to keep the same plant alive for so long, not to mention the giant stretch they have, which leaves the top buds lighted and the bottom half pure popcorn = huge grade A bud yield loss. i dont no jus my 2 cents on sativas indoors.

keep postin pics tho

bbw= big beautiful woman
oh not new years, thats 3 months.. who know when it will be done, 60 days flower is around average right? its a purp kush.

A

Aleksis Stoned

I bet half of us says LST and other half scrog so here goes my 2 cents for that one:

With LST you can train your plant to use all the space in no time so you'll have a matt of dubs pretty quick but it takes some time and effort to train the plant. I mean it is most definately not for lazy people.

With scrog it takes a while to flatten the tops but it does not take your time as much.

In that space you definately need one or another or both combined to get max results.

bdomina

subscribed. I wana see this. i was reading in skunk that they did a side by side with a HID LED (1 - 3 watt LEDS) w a 400w HPS and he LED outgrew the HPS. I am way interested in this, for low heat and low electric bills. but I do not want to buy into a gimmick

thanks aleksis, LST it is! :D

bdomina, the LED is definetly not a gimmik! im not going to use the led for flowering, but for veg it kicks ass and dont take no names.