What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is this dolomite lime?

Meaty

Yay or nay?

picture.php

picture.php

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah, I've noticed that being sold at lowes

it is not as fine as some others though

Ulysses

Nay!

That is a bag of Pulverized Calcitic Limestone.

Notice the percent of Magnesium- way low at 3%...

Pulverized Dolomite Limestone can be found in the same identical bag- EXCEPT for the chemical analysis panel you have photographed will have correct percentages. The description will say Pulverized Dolomitic Limestone.

You may want to visit my sticky- The Virtues of Dolomite Lime in the Organic Reference Library found above.

Good Luck

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^ I guess this company uses the same bag, but the back is different, I've seen these at lowes with around 10% I think

MEATY, whats the label say above the percentage chart? should say above

Meaty

Yeah I just looked, its Calcitic Limestone. Thanks for all the help gents. Il hafta keep lookin around.

maryjohn

Veteran
Mg 3%
MgCO3 11%
MgO 5.2%

looks like plenty of Mg to me, and a very thorough label. I imagine it would to many.

It was hard to spot on the computer but I caught it on the jphone. I use dolomite too, but I always have. Calcitic where I lived was called lawn lime and then there was quick lime.

How much does my dolomite have?

Is mgco3 water soluble? If it's calcitic, has all that been added?

If he's going to add molasses anyway (just guessing) shouldn't he just use up this bag?

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
is limestone from ocean floor? something along that line? and then I see the connection with DE being mixed along with that or ?

wonder if DE works good for plants and silica, wonder about the sharp edges and roots though...

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
Quick question about lime and pH correction . . .

I was wondering if my dolomite lime that I amended into my soil will retain more of it's pH correcting abilities if I water with pH neutral water/supplements?

What i mean is that since lime will neutralize acidic mediums/acidic water/liquids, would my lime last me longer (in terms of it's ability to correct pH) by watering with water that is pH 7.0 than it would if watering with water (or nutrient solution) that was acidic?

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
bump . . .

anyone know about this:

Quick question about lime and pH correction . . .

I was wondering if my dolomite lime that I amended into my soil will retain more of it's pH correcting abilities if I water with pH neutral water/supplements?

What i mean is that since lime will neutralize acidic mediums/acidic water/liquids, would my lime last me longer (in terms of it's ability to correct pH) by watering with water that is pH 7.0 than it would if watering with water (or nutrient solution) that was acidic?

M

mrred

how are you going correct the water diaego? with something salt based? i'd say thats bad, best to filter or use it staight because the lime helps buffer the ph, no need to adjust the water

limestone is everywhere i think, mine came from iowa and gave me the quarry it came from, the same company will sell alot of different types of lime too, look out for the 2:1 ratio

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
how are you going correct the water diaego? with something salt based? i'd say thats bad, best to filter or use it staight because the lime helps buffer the ph, no need to adjust the water

limestone is everywhere i think, mine came from iowa and gave me the quarry it came from, the same company will sell alot of different types of lime too, look out for the 2:1 ratio

Thanks for the reply. No, I actually don't correct my water as it's from a well and is pH 7 as it is. I was just wondering regarding lime and if by watering with pH balanced water I prolong the life and effectiveness of the lime's pH correcting ability. Meaning will the lime in my soil retain it's pH correcting/buffering properties longer as a result of me using only pH neutral water?

Furthermore would I reduce the longevity of it's pH buffering properties by watering with a nutrient solution that is NOT ph balanced?

I'm not really planning on doing this in practice, just wondering what the story is here I guess . . .

V

vonforne

My dolomit kalk (lime) comes in at 35% mg and 55% mg. In my current grow I have mixed pulver and pellets. I used the pelleted with the coco and the pulver with the peat.

V-man