in:
Forums > Grow It! > Growers Forums > How When & Why do you apply Epsom Salt

Thread Title Search    
Click to buy IC Mag Products
 How When & Why do you apply Epsom Salt Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
Owl Mirror
Seed Splitter

Owl Mirror is a splendid one to beholdOwl Mirror is a splendid one to beholdOwl Mirror is a splendid one to beholdOwl Mirror is a splendid one to beholdOwl Mirror is a splendid one to beholdOwl Mirror is a splendid one to behold
How When & Why do you apply Epsom Salt

I have heard in a few conversations that if you have a magnesium deficiency you can spray a solution of Epsom Salt & water on the plant as a curative. I searched for specific information on how to concoct and apply this but, haven't found much direct info.
I thought I would create a thread for discussion of this topic.

What does Magnesium deficiency look like?
What method is best to apply this solution?
What exactly is this Epsom salt doing for the plant?
Owl Mirror jest offline   Quote

Old 09-05-2009, 08:37 PM   #2
Tony Aroma
Let's Go - Two Smokes!

Tony Aroma has a reputation beyond reputeTony Aroma has a reputation beyond reputeTony Aroma has a reputation beyond reputeTony Aroma has a reputation beyond reputeTony Aroma has a reputation beyond reputeTony Aroma has a reputation beyond reputeTony Aroma has a reputation beyond reputeTony Aroma has a reputation beyond reputeTony Aroma has a reputation beyond reputeTony Aroma has a reputation beyond reputeTony Aroma has a reputation beyond repute
Funny, somebody just asked me in my grow diary why I use epsom salts. My answer was because they provide magnesium and sulphur. That would be the answer to your third question.

As far as what a magnesium deficiency looks like, check out the infirmary forum where there is a sticky with picts of all kinds of deficiencies.

As far as how to apply it, I mix 1/2 tsp per gallon of soil when preparing my soil. You can also dissolve it in water and use in your regular waterings or as a foliar spray, although I've never tried either of those as I've never had a magnesium deficiency AFAIK. Check out the organics forum for more info on using epsom salts.

Get up, stand up. Stand up for your rights.
B. Marley
Tony Aroma jest offline   Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
Owl Mirror
Seed Splitter

Owl Mirror is a splendid one to beholdOwl Mirror is a splendid one to beholdOwl Mirror is a splendid one to beholdOwl Mirror is a splendid one to beholdOwl Mirror is a splendid one to beholdOwl Mirror is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Aroma View Post
Funny, somebody just asked me in my grow diary why I use epsom salts. My answer was because they provide magnesium and sulphur. That would be the answer to your third question.

As far as what a magnesium deficiency looks like, check out the infirmary forum where there is a sticky with picts of all kinds of deficiencies.

As far as how to apply it, I mix 1/2 tsp per gallon of soil when preparing my soil. You can also dissolve it in water and use in your regular waterings or as a foliar spray, although I've never tried either of those as I've never had a magnesium deficiency AFAIK. Check out the organics forum for more info on using epsom salts.
Hi Tony, are you saying you mix this salt directly in your soil ?
I had only heard of spraying it on the leaves.
How else can it be beneficial for growing our plants ?

Old 09-05-2009, 08:50 PM   #4
Tony Aroma
Let's Go - Two Smokes!

Tony Aroma has a reputation beyond reputeTony Aroma has a reputation beyond reputeTony Aroma has a reputation beyond reputeTony Aroma has a reputation beyond reputeTony Aroma has a reputation beyond reputeTony Aroma has a reputation beyond reputeTony Aroma has a reputation beyond reputeTony Aroma has a reputation beyond reputeTony Aroma has a reputation beyond reputeTony Aroma has a reputation beyond reputeTony Aroma has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl Mirror View Post
Hi Tony, are you saying you mix this salt directly in your soil ?
Yes, that's exactly what I said.
Quote:
How else can it be beneficial for growing our plants ?
Besides providing necessary magnesium and sulphur, I don't know. Epsom salts are just magnesium sulfate, so they really don't do much else other than acting as a source of those two elements.

Look up magnesium sulfate in wikipedia -- they describe its use and they even mention it in reference to growing cannabis.

Get up, stand up. Stand up for your rights.
B. Marley
Tony Aroma jest offline   Quote

Old 09-05-2009, 09:06 PM   #5
MobbDeep
Banned

MobbDeep has a spectacular aura aboutMobbDeep has a spectacular aura about
1.magnesium deficiency looks like all the leaves turn light green,BUT the VEINS are still dark green..this starts at the bottom of the plant,and quickly works its way up..cannabis uses high levels of magnesium..slow growth,light green leaves,and slight curling of the leaves UP indicate mag def..some call this "praying for magnesium"..http://www.gardenscure.com/420/attac...agnesium-1.jpg

2.always use as a spray..mixing in soil,or using as soil drench doesnt work as fast,and can do more harm than good..mix 2 teaspoons per water bottle filed with HOT WATER..to dissolve the epsom salts better and evenly..thougroughly spray plants,especialy the bottom of the leaves,during lights off..or during the cool temps..as temps get higher,the stomata close to prevent excess water loss

3.Store bought epsom salt is pure,uncut magnesium sulphate..it is a VERY fast acting remedy for mag deficiencies..it is a very valuable thing to have for the cannabis grower,and can be bought in walgreens or any pharmacy store..in the medicine aislt,as people use it for thier stomachs..
MobbDeep jest offline   Quote

Old 09-05-2009, 09:28 PM   #6
Owl Mirror
Seed Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobbDeep View Post
1.magnesium deficiency looks like all the leaves turn light green,BUT the VEINS are still dark green..this starts at the bottom of the plant,and quickly works its way up..cannabis uses high levels of magnesium..slow growth,light green leaves,and slight curling of the leaves UP indicate mag def..some call this "praying for magnesium"..http://www.gardenscure.com/420/attac...agnesium-1.jpg

2.always use as a spray..mixing in soil,or using as soil drench doesnt work as fast,and can do more harm than good..mix 2 teaspoons per water bottle filed with HOT WATER..to dissolve the epsom salts better and evenly..thougroughly spray plants,especialy the bottom of the leaves,during lights off..or during the cool temps..as temps get higher,the stomata close to prevent excess water loss

3.Store bought epsom salt is pure,uncut magnesium sulphate..it is a VERY fast acting remedy for mag deficiencies..it is a very valuable thing to have for the cannabis grower,and can be bought in walgreens or any pharmacy store..in the medicine aislt,as people use it for thier stomachs..
Thanks MobbDeep, so "2 teaspoons per water bottle" and spray the plant just prior to lights out.
Is it better to spray the top of the leaves or try spraying the underside of the leaves ?
Is this to be used only as a remedy or is it used consistently throughout the grow ?
Should you avoid spraying BUDs ?

Old 09-05-2009, 09:30 PM   #7
geopolitical
Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy

geopolitical has much to be proud ofgeopolitical has much to be proud ofgeopolitical has much to be proud ofgeopolitical has much to be proud ofgeopolitical has much to be proud ofgeopolitical has much to be proud ofgeopolitical has much to be proud ofgeopolitical has much to be proud ofgeopolitical has much to be proud of
I use a dose of 1/2 to 1 tsp per gallon dissolved into warm water.

For foliar spray I add just a tiny drop of soap to the whole thing and shake like hell right before spraying. I've used "wetting" agents in the past but our current dish soap is nontoxic and the plants seem to do well with it. Generally though I'll use it as a soil drench.

Adding correct amounts of dolomite lime or fertilizing with a complete fertilizer will eliminate most of the need to do this however.

Spraying buds will do them no harm as long as your humidity isn't too bad and they dry quickly.

Quote:
legitimizing pot hasn't created more users; it has just produced more annoying ones, who now apply Whole Foods--ian levels of snobbiness to the differences between Hawaiian Sativa and Humboldt Indica. -Time Magazine.
Cooking Oil Made Complicated

100w

geopolitical jest offline   Quote

Old 09-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #8
Owl Mirror
Seed Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Aroma View Post
Yes, that's exactly what I said.

Besides providing necessary magnesium and sulphur, I don't know. Epsom salts are just magnesium sulfate, so they really don't do much else other than acting as a source of those two elements.

Look up magnesium sulfate in wikipedia -- they describe its use and they even mention it in reference to growing cannabis.
Thanks Tony!

(magnesium is an essential element in the chlorophyll molecule).

http://www.epsomsaltcouncil.org/

Old 09-05-2009, 09:45 PM   #9
MobbDeep
Banned

OWL MIRROR...

epsom salt is BEST used as a very fast acting remedy..but you can DEF benefit from folair feeding it about once per week..YES pay sepcial attention to the bottom of the leaves,as that is where most of the stomata is located..and do it either at light off,or a minute of two before the lgihts go off..you can certainly spray buds,but I wouldnt spray ANYTHING to my buds..just focus on the leaves,as I doubt there are ANY stomata on the buds,just the leaves..

i dont reccomend using as a soil drench,as this can cause problems..

another GREAT foliar feed that i use is maxicrop lqiuid seaweed..this is a MUST HAVE for folair feeding to cannabis..

Old 09-05-2009, 09:49 PM   #10
LolaGal

Splurge and buy some CalMag Plus instead. Works much better.

epsom SALT and plants don't get along as well.

Alittle Cal Mag and no deficiencies in the first place. Preventative maintainence.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:00 AM   #11
HortProOrganics

HortProOrganics will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaGal View Post
Splurge and buy some CalMag Plus instead. Works much better.

epsom SALT and plants don't get along as well.

Alittle Cal Mag and no deficiencies in the first place. Preventative maintainence.

In large amounts, yes, I agree, it can inhibit production, and can increase, if not used correctly, problems. In large scale applications, and provided the preservation of the micro-life underneath the top soil as well as the plants vascular system, Epsom salts can help a great number of plants and their needs. Run on sentence, I apologize though. I also agree, CalMag and other products within the limestone realm may offer better results.

Magnesium helps with the Chlorophyll production and maintenance, as well as cellular health. Increased flower production may be influenced, but it not a typical supplemental tool. High flowering or fruiting plants like Rosa, Cannabis, Vaccinium, Capsicum, Rubus, etc. etc. will all benefit from mag supplements, within reason

Sulfur, without writing a book, is responsible for overall growth of the plant, reducing environmental stress, and helping increase pest and disease resistance.

I apply once every 2 to 4 weeks, when needed, but I have a great deal of magnesium and sulfur ingredients within my living soils and teas.

"If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

"An acre of the best ground for hemp, is to be selected and sewn in hemp and be kept for a permanent hemp patch." - Thomas Jefferson's Garden book 1849
HortProOrganics jest offline   Quote

Old 09-06-2009, 12:30 AM   #12
LolaGal

sulphur def. is extremely rare in cannabis.

Mag. def can be prevented by watering with CalMag Plus once or twice during veg.

A quart will last a hobby grower for a long time.

(It's really BRAWNDO, sshhh don't tell anybody We all know BRAWNDO's got what plants crave.... )

0 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:31 AM   #13
MobbDeep
Banned

HOTPROORGANICS excellent point..epsom salt should be considered for organic grows,as magnesium sulphate is essentially pure salts..such as any mineral nutrient..it can harm the microbial life in the soil..on top of that,it can alter ph,and do more hram than good when applied as a root drench,,but when applies as folair feed..theres no chance of doing harm..

i always keep some epsom salt around..and give them a good foliar feed..its very beneficail during both veg and flower..especualy during veg..

Old 09-06-2009, 01:51 AM   #14
HortProOrganics

HortProOrganics will become famous soon enough
I totally agree with the foliar feeding, don't get me wrong at all. I do, when its necessary, but I also find that deficiencies in soil systems can always be prevented by good microbial life surrounded with micro-nutrients and other flora.

"If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

"An acre of the best ground for hemp, is to be selected and sewn in hemp and be kept for a permanent hemp patch." - Thomas Jefferson's Garden book 1849
HortProOrganics jest offline   Quote

Old 09-06-2009, 03:57 PM   #15
ibjamming
Banned

ibjamming is a splendid one to beholdibjamming is a splendid one to beholdibjamming is a splendid one to beholdibjamming is a splendid one to beholdibjamming is a splendid one to beholdibjamming is a splendid one to beholdibjamming is a splendid one to behold
ibjamming has completed 1 grow reports. Click to see my Grow Reports
If you lime the soil...or top dress with it...you're adding "natural" Cal/Mag. Why buy a more expensive product when you don't have to? Mix dolomite lime with your soil from the beginning and you won't have to worry about it. It also neutralizes ph to close to 7 as a bonus.
ibjamming jest offline   Quote

1 members found this post helpful.