Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > How When & Why do you apply Epsom Salt

Thread Title Search
Click for Perfect Grower Nutrients
Post Reply
How When & Why do you apply Epsom Salt Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2009, 08:29 PM #1
Owl Mirror
Seed Splitter

Owl Mirror's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,342
Owl Mirror is a jewel in the roughOwl Mirror is a jewel in the roughOwl Mirror is a jewel in the roughOwl Mirror is a jewel in the roughOwl Mirror is a jewel in the roughOwl Mirror is a jewel in the rough
How When & Why do you apply Epsom Salt

I have heard in a few conversations that if you have a magnesium deficiency you can spray a solution of Epsom Salt & water on the plant as a curative. I searched for specific information on how to concoct and apply this but, haven't found much direct info.
I thought I would create a thread for discussion of this topic.

What does Magnesium deficiency look like?
What method is best to apply this solution?
What exactly is this Epsom salt doing for the plant?
Owl Mirror is offline Quote


Old 09-05-2009, 08:37 PM #2
Tony Aroma
Let's Go - Two Smokes!

Tony Aroma's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: King of Donair
Posts: 1,567
Tony Aroma is a glorious beacon of lightTony Aroma is a glorious beacon of lightTony Aroma is a glorious beacon of lightTony Aroma is a glorious beacon of lightTony Aroma is a glorious beacon of lightTony Aroma is a glorious beacon of lightTony Aroma is a glorious beacon of lightTony Aroma is a glorious beacon of lightTony Aroma is a glorious beacon of lightTony Aroma is a glorious beacon of lightTony Aroma is a glorious beacon of light
Funny, somebody just asked me in my grow diary why I use epsom salts. My answer was because they provide magnesium and sulphur. That would be the answer to your third question.

As far as what a magnesium deficiency looks like, check out the infirmary forum where there is a sticky with picts of all kinds of deficiencies.

As far as how to apply it, I mix 1/2 tsp per gallon of soil when preparing my soil. You can also dissolve it in water and use in your regular waterings or as a foliar spray, although I've never tried either of those as I've never had a magnesium deficiency AFAIK. Check out the organics forum for more info on using epsom salts.
__________________

Get up, stand up. Stand up for your rights.
B. Marley
Tony Aroma is offline Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:40 PM #3
Owl Mirror
Seed Splitter

Owl Mirror's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,342
Owl Mirror is a jewel in the roughOwl Mirror is a jewel in the roughOwl Mirror is a jewel in the roughOwl Mirror is a jewel in the roughOwl Mirror is a jewel in the roughOwl Mirror is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Aroma View Post
Funny, somebody just asked me in my grow diary why I use epsom salts. My answer was because they provide magnesium and sulphur. That would be the answer to your third question.

As far as what a magnesium deficiency looks like, check out the infirmary forum where there is a sticky with picts of all kinds of deficiencies.

As far as how to apply it, I mix 1/2 tsp per gallon of soil when preparing my soil. You can also dissolve it in water and use in your regular waterings or as a foliar spray, although I've never tried either of those as I've never had a magnesium deficiency AFAIK. Check out the organics forum for more info on using epsom salts.
Hi Tony, are you saying you mix this salt directly in your soil ?
I had only heard of spraying it on the leaves.
How else can it be beneficial for growing our plants ?
Owl Mirror is offline Quote


Old 09-05-2009, 08:50 PM #4
Tony Aroma
Let's Go - Two Smokes!

Tony Aroma's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: King of Donair
Posts: 1,567
Tony Aroma is a glorious beacon of lightTony Aroma is a glorious beacon of lightTony Aroma is a glorious beacon of lightTony Aroma is a glorious beacon of lightTony Aroma is a glorious beacon of lightTony Aroma is a glorious beacon of lightTony Aroma is a glorious beacon of lightTony Aroma is a glorious beacon of lightTony Aroma is a glorious beacon of lightTony Aroma is a glorious beacon of lightTony Aroma is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl Mirror View Post
Hi Tony, are you saying you mix this salt directly in your soil ?
Yes, that's exactly what I said.
Quote:
How else can it be beneficial for growing our plants ?
Besides providing necessary magnesium and sulphur, I don't know. Epsom salts are just magnesium sulfate, so they really don't do much else other than acting as a source of those two elements.

Look up magnesium sulfate in wikipedia -- they describe its use and they even mention it in reference to growing cannabis.
__________________

Get up, stand up. Stand up for your rights.
B. Marley
Tony Aroma is offline Quote


Old 09-05-2009, 09:06 PM #5
MobbDeep
Banned

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: $$~IN THA TRAP~$$
Posts: 652
MobbDeep will become famous soon enoughMobbDeep will become famous soon enough
1.magnesium deficiency looks like all the leaves turn light green,BUT the VEINS are still dark green..this starts at the bottom of the plant,and quickly works its way up..cannabis uses high levels of magnesium..slow growth,light green leaves,and slight curling of the leaves UP indicate mag def..some call this "praying for magnesium"..http://www.gardenscure.com/420/attac...agnesium-1.jpg

2.always use as a spray..mixing in soil,or using as soil drench doesnt work as fast,and can do more harm than good..mix 2 teaspoons per water bottle filed with HOT WATER..to dissolve the epsom salts better and evenly..thougroughly spray plants,especialy the bottom of the leaves,during lights off..or during the cool temps..as temps get higher,the stomata close to prevent excess water loss

3.Store bought epsom salt is pure,uncut magnesium sulphate..it is a VERY fast acting remedy for mag deficiencies..it is a very valuable thing to have for the cannabis grower,and can be bought in walgreens or any pharmacy store..in the medicine aislt,as people use it for thier stomachs..
MobbDeep is offline Quote


Old 09-05-2009, 09:28 PM #6
Owl Mirror
Seed Splitter

Owl Mirror's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,342
Owl Mirror is a jewel in the roughOwl Mirror is a jewel in the roughOwl Mirror is a jewel in the roughOwl Mirror is a jewel in the roughOwl Mirror is a jewel in the roughOwl Mirror is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobbDeep View Post
1.magnesium deficiency looks like all the leaves turn light green,BUT the VEINS are still dark green..this starts at the bottom of the plant,and quickly works its way up..cannabis uses high levels of magnesium..slow growth,light green leaves,and slight curling of the leaves UP indicate mag def..some call this "praying for magnesium"..http://www.gardenscure.com/420/attac...agnesium-1.jpg

2.always use as a spray..mixing in soil,or using as soil drench doesnt work as fast,and can do more harm than good..mix 2 teaspoons per water bottle filed with HOT WATER..to dissolve the epsom salts better and evenly..thougroughly spray plants,especialy the bottom of the leaves,during lights off..or during the cool temps..as temps get higher,the stomata close to prevent excess water loss

3.Store bought epsom salt is pure,uncut magnesium sulphate..it is a VERY fast acting remedy for mag deficiencies..it is a very valuable thing to have for the cannabis grower,and can be bought in walgreens or any pharmacy store..in the medicine aislt,as people use it for thier stomachs..
Thanks MobbDeep, so "2 teaspoons per water bottle" and spray the plant just prior to lights out.
Is it better to spray the top of the leaves or try spraying the underside of the leaves ?
Is this to be used only as a remedy or is it used consistently throughout the grow ?
Should you avoid spraying BUDs ?
Owl Mirror is offline Quote


Old 09-05-2009, 09:30 PM #7
geopolitical
Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy

geopolitical's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,461
geopolitical is just really nicegeopolitical is just really nicegeopolitical is just really nicegeopolitical is just really nicegeopolitical is just really nicegeopolitical is just really nicegeopolitical is just really nicegeopolitical is just really nicegeopolitical is just really nice
I use a dose of 1/2 to 1 tsp per gallon dissolved into warm water.

For foliar spray I add just a tiny drop of soap to the whole thing and shake like hell right before spraying. I've used "wetting" agents in the past but our current dish soap is nontoxic and the plants seem to do well with it. Generally though I'll use it as a soil drench.

Adding correct amounts of dolomite lime or fertilizing with a complete fertilizer will eliminate most of the need to do this however.

Spraying buds will do them no harm as long as your humidity isn't too bad and they dry quickly.
__________________

Quote:
legitimizing pot hasn't created more users; it has just produced more annoying ones, who now apply Whole Foods--ian levels of snobbiness to the differences between Hawaiian Sativa and Humboldt Indica. -Time Magazine.
Cooking Oil Made Complicated

100w

geopolitical is offline Quote


Old 09-05-2009, 09:37 PM #8
Owl Mirror
Seed Splitter

Owl Mirror's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,342
Owl Mirror is a jewel in the roughOwl Mirror is a jewel in the roughOwl Mirror is a jewel in the roughOwl Mirror is a jewel in the roughOwl Mirror is a jewel in the roughOwl Mirror is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Aroma View Post
Yes, that's exactly what I said.

Besides providing necessary magnesium and sulphur, I don't know. Epsom salts are just magnesium sulfate, so they really don't do much else other than acting as a source of those two elements.

Look up magnesium sulfate in wikipedia -- they describe its use and they even mention it in reference to growing cannabis.
Thanks Tony!

(magnesium is an essential element in the chlorophyll molecule).

http://www.epsomsaltcouncil.org/
Owl Mirror is offline Quote


Old 09-05-2009, 09:45 PM #9
MobbDeep
Banned

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: $$~IN THA TRAP~$$
Posts: 652
MobbDeep will become famous soon enoughMobbDeep will become famous soon enough
OWL MIRROR...

epsom salt is BEST used as a very fast acting remedy..but you can DEF benefit from folair feeding it about once per week..YES pay sepcial attention to the bottom of the leaves,as that is where most of the stomata is located..and do it either at light off,or a minute of two before the lgihts go off..you can certainly spray buds,but I wouldnt spray ANYTHING to my buds..just focus on the leaves,as I doubt there are ANY stomata on the buds,just the leaves..

i dont reccomend using as a soil drench,as this can cause problems..

another GREAT foliar feed that i use is maxicrop lqiuid seaweed..this is a MUST HAVE for folair feeding to cannabis..
MobbDeep is offline Quote


Old 09-05-2009, 09:49 PM #10
LolaGal
Guest

Posts: n/a
Splurge and buy some CalMag Plus instead. Works much better.

epsom SALT and plants don't get along as well.

Alittle Cal Mag and no deficiencies in the first place. Preventative maintainence.
Quote


Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:10 AM.


Click for Sweet Seeds!


This site is for educational and entertainment purposes only.
You must be of legal age to view ICmag and participate here.
All postings are the responsibility of their authors.
Powered by: vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.