What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to Keep From Getting Busted Growing

lexxx

Hi All,
I was looking for a thread to tell me tips on how to keep from getting ripped off or busted. Well I couldn't find one so I thought what the hell? I hope you can help build this thread so we can all be more informed about things that can lead to detection.

I am by far no expert but I think I have some things I can start a list with. I must point out that there are some things we might not want to discuss because they might give ammo to those we are trying to avoid.

1. Don't put trash, clippings, empty fertilizer containers, mylar etc from your grow area out to be picked up by your trash service. Find a dumpster somewhere and dump it there. Make sure there are no shipping labels, names, etc. on anything you are throwing out.

2. If your grow area is not inside your home, always take a walk around your grow area before hauling in supplies to ensure everything is private.

3. Don't tell anyone about your grow unless you trust them with your life.

4. Don't leave hoses leading to your grow area. Put them away.

5. Don't have a spaghetti bowl of extension cords leading to your area. If you are using a room wire it. Nothing more suspicious than a pile of extension cords leading back to a dark corner.

6. Inspect your area at night from outdoors to see if any light is showing through. Glowing roof vents can get you ripped off or busted.

7. If growing outdoors, keep talking to a minimum and keep your voice low. In open country a normal speaking voice can carry for miles.

8. If growing outdoors, always keep your area tidy. Trash, Empty fert bags, empty pots, potting soil bags, etc. can be a tip-off that you just might be growing.

9. Minimize "that" smell. Use an Ozone Generator, Carbon exhaust filter or vent into your house waste pipes, chimney, crawl space, attic, etc.

10. Do not deal where you grow. Do not deal where you grow. Do not deal where you grow

Feel free to share your best tips on smart growing.

SpacedCWBY

Veteran
Diggin' that sig pic...

But seriously... Lot's of great info in here. Always good to come surf the security forum for new ideas on what NOT to do.

Good idea for a thread!

Here's mine - if you're growing in a basement where the exterior could be exposed to open air, don't grow right next to your basement walls. Centralize the grow room and vent into the ducting of the house to spread the heat around. Keeps a hotspot from building up on your walls that could be seen from outside.

DON'T HAVE GUNS!!!!! Just gave a buddy this line last week - fuggin' moron has 5 big girls poppin' up in his backyard for the world to see, a whole slew of "hand" weapons, swords, sabers, etc... and to top it all off, somewhere in the area of 10-15 rifles and a 40 cal he keeps under his rolling tray. Doesn't deal or anything like that - but he's not quiet about his plants, everyone who knows him knows about them, and he sure as hell isn't quiet about having an arsenal. He doesn't know what I do, but I'm always quick to point out his little mistakes like that cause I'd hate to see him become some big dood's bitch.

Natagonnaworrie

If you love life, don't waste time. For time is wh
Veteran
adding on to what SpacedCWBY said.

Diggin' that sig pic...

Holy Shit, me too. why cant i stop laughing :joint:

Here's mine - if you're growing in a basement where the exterior could be exposed to open air, don't grow right next to your basement walls. Centralize the grow room and vent into the ducting of the house to spread the heat around. Keeps a hotspot from building up on your walls that could be seen from outside.

yup, if you grow somewhere where it snows out. make sure the snow doesnt melt outside your grow room faster than anywhere else.

QUOTE]

also, a little parania keeps u safe. just cuz ur friends are idiots and tell their stories doesn't mean you have too. in time all those loud mouths get F'd somehow. keep a low profile and have an excuse for the strange things we do.

j6p

DON'T HAVE GUNS!!!!! Just gave a buddy this line last week - fuggin' moron has 5 big girls poppin' up in his backyard for the world to see, a whole slew of "hand" weapons, swords, sabers, etc... and to top it all off, somewhere in the area of 10-15 rifles and a 40 cal he keeps under his rolling tray. Doesn't deal or anything like that - but he's not quiet about his plants, everyone who knows him knows about them, and he sure as hell isn't quiet about having an arsenal. He doesn't know what I do, but I'm always quick to point out his little mistakes like that cause I'd hate to see him become some big dood's bitch.
1. Avoid contact with high-risk, unstable people.

2. Don't grow anywhere close to a school or day care. Check your local laws for specific distance because it varies.

3. Learn how to Fireproof your grow

4. Do not leave any weed, roaches, or paraphernalia where it is likely to be spotted if LEO walks in. Set up a separate "smoke room" away from the entrances, keep all smoking materials in your smoke room, and do all of your smoking in the smoke room with the door shut. Set up a ventilation fan in the smoke room if possible. Conceal all smoking material in the smoke room when not in use. Close the smoke room door when not in use.

5. Minimize noise. Use the quietest fans possible for the job. Muffle exhaust fans and ducts.

6. Conceal the grow area from sight as much as possible. Make it as stealthy as possible. Best case is LEO should have to tear the place apart to find it, but a casual visit would reveal nothing.

7. Do not have a lot of people coming and going if there is a grow in the house.

8. Don't be a stinker! After working on a grow, trimming, etc, shower and change clothes before going out. The odors stick to you, and other people smell it even if you don't.

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran

Attachments

• 286384.JPG
    286384.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 12
  • loose_lips_sink_ships1.jpg
    loose_lips_sink_ships1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Loose_Talk_Can_Cost_Lives.jpg
    Loose_Talk_Can_Cost_Lives.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 13

lexxx

Great Ideas Guys!

Great Ideas Guys!

You've already brought up things I hadn't thought of. Oh yeah...
Never have seeds sent to your grow.

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
False 911 calls: real or whatever; have been the downfall of many growers. 911 call: police come in ...no warrant needed. ( they figure...HEY!...you called us )
Lots of peeps have 911 speed dial...big mistake if growing.... hit the wrong button= house full of cops

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

bottomline: you have to stay below the radar

lexxx

If growing indoors, scale in and out of electric consumption. Don't go overnight to using 5K an hour more electric than you have historically used. If you do, and your electric company runs audits, your address will likely show up on it. If you want to add capacity, phase new lights in gradually. Same goes with scaling out of production. Of course if you're in a cut and run situation, this is not so important.

SpacedCWBY

Veteran
If growing indoors, scale in and out of electric consumption. Don't go overnight to using 5K an hour more electric than you have historically used. If you do, and your electric company runs audits, your address will likely show up on it. If you want to add capacity, phase new lights in gradually. Same goes with scaling out of production. Of course if you're in a cut and run situation, this is not so important.

I run my window a/c's all night to play off the high electricity usage at night. I don't care if it's cool in the house already, I like it COLD!

As for unstable people - yeah, he lives a few states away - see him a couple times a year at most. Love the guy to death but he's not being smart about things at all.

robbiedublu

False 911 calls: real or whatever; have been the downfall of many growers. 911 call: police come in ...no warrant needed. ( they figure...HEY!...you called us )
Lots of peeps have 911 speed dial...big mistake if growing.... hit the wrong button= house full of cops

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

bottomline: you have to stay below the radar

I don't even have a landline in my house. They can never say someone called 911 from my house.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Keep fire extinguishers at the ready. Always keep em charged. Anything between you and the fire department is money well spent. Firemen don't always look the other way. Especially if they think you're a commercial grower w/ safety on the cheap.

Bacchus

Throbbing Member
Veteran
Speed-dial 911??? WTF, because it takes SO much more time to dial 3 #s and not 1?? lol

Good advice by all :) Keep them coming.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Loose lips sink ships. Keep noise and smell in control at all times. Avoid unnecessary contact with other people whenever possible. It never hurts to observe your surroundings (apartment complex, street, etc) to see what is happening in the area. Be polite with all people, and keep to yourself.

-Funk

Great thread. Was looking for something similar only a few weeks ago - but in relation to cyber security.

Skip made a new sticky for these cyber questions...maybe this thread should become a sticky too.

Thanks again. I have a very dear, close friend who needs to read this just to prove to him that I am NOT paranoid, merely sensible. And I do not want to attract any attention, let alone go to prison.

Last edited:

lexxx

What's a sticky?

What's a sticky?

Great thread. Was looking for something similar only a few weeks ago - but in relation to cyber security.

Skip made a new sticky for these cyber questions...maybe this thread should become a sticky too.

Thanks again. I have a very dear, close friend who needs to read this just to prove to him that I am NOT paranoid, merely sensible. And I do not want to attract any attention, let alone go to prison.

Whats a sticky? Is that what's left after the bud is gone?

LOL

When writing that, I was thinking gawd my fingers are so sticky (made the finger hash, but can't get the rest off without metho or soap powder - and need to do more in an hour or so) and now the keyboard is sticky...

But no, sticky's are the threads in the first section at the top of this forum that contain information deemed to be important enough to "stuck" at the top of the forum (so we can all find this info...)

And, yes, sticky is how your fingers are after the bud is trimmed...